|Five and Alive: I'm a Kid
|I'm going to venture off music this week. In the past week and a half I have watched countless childhood movies. I'm not sure if I'm have post-graduate depression or a nostalgic overload, but it has gotten to the point that Rookie of the Year is on television right now.|
So, in no particular order, these are my top five favorite childhood movies.
1) Pee Wee's Big Adventure --- Tim Burton at it's finest. This movie has everything from great one liners to the over the top playful joy that made us love our childhood, and sometimes wonder where the hell it went. It was a history lesson (there's no basement at the Alamo by the way), and a movie still full of unanswered questions (did Pee Wee set-up that breakfast contraption every night?).
2) Heavyweights --- I haven't always been the best in shape, so I guess I really liked this movie for that reason. I've also wondered if loving Judd Apatow movies stemmed from my childhood, and here is proof. He co-wrote this movie. Me and my roommate even joked about that fact that Ben Stiller plays a similar villainous role in Dodgeball...debatable?
3) Ghostbusters 1 & 2 --- Pretty on par with each other, even though the first film is definitely better. What's funny is that we all loved these movies as a child, but it was who had the better collection of toys, right? Well, I had all the Ghostbusters, the car and the building! Beat that kiddo!
4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and TMNT II: Secert of the Ooze --- The first movie is quite dark when I view it now, but who could deny how badass Casey Jones was? The second movie had the better jokes, and Vanilla Ice, so I'm not sure which one was really my favorite. Agreeable though is that the third movie could have been done without. I love these movies so much that I didn't bother to watch the new animated one.
5) Ernest Scared Stupid --- Hands down the best Ernest movie there is. Goblins, cross dressing, awful jokes, I ate this shit up! It's sad to say that not every movie was a success (Ernest Rides Again, Ernest Goes to Jail), but every movie had their moments...this one just had the best...well, maybe a close second to Ernest Goes to Camp, but we can debate that.
Back to the Future I/II
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
ANY Muppet Movie
|Tags: Five and Alive, Being a Kid, Nostalgia, Awesome