| | |
Tomatoes & Radio Wires
|Best Music of 2011
|Yes I am late with this. I don't care--I spent New Year's Eve in the hospital; I've been busy. I also can't be bothered to write things about my favorite albums or make this look fancy like last year. Whatever. Bon Iver killed it this year. That is all.|
1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
2. Drake - Take Care
3. Wilco - The Whole Love
4. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
5. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
6. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
7. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
8. The Antlers - Burst Apart
9. The Horrible Crowes - Elsie
10. Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
11. Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
12. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV
13. Panda Bear - Tomboy
14. Bright Eyes - The People's Key
15. Yuck - Yuck
16. Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
17. The Black Keys - El Camino
18. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne
19. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
20. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
1. Bon Iver - "Holocene"
2. Wilco - "Art of Almost"
3. Drake - "Marvin's Room"
4. Fleet Foxes - "Helplessness Blues"
5. Bon Iver - "Perth"
6. The National - "Exile Vilify"
7. Radiohead - "Codex"
8. Bon Iver - "Calgary"
9. Tyler, The Creator - "Yonkers"
10. The Antlers - "Putting the Dog to Sleep"
11. Manchester Orchestra - "Simple Math"
12. Iron & Wine - "Walking far From Home"
13. Coldplay - "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall"
14. Fleet Foxes - "Grown Ocean"
15. The Decemberists - "June Hymn"
16. Drake - "Headlines"
17. Bright Eyes - "Shell Games"
18. Wilco - "On a Sunday (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)"
19. Jay-Z & Kanye West - "N****s in Paris"
20. Adele - "Rolling in the Deep"
Video of the Year: Drake - "Headlines"
Most Overrated Album: tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L
Most Disappointing Album: The Get Up Kids - There Are Rules
Comeback Album: Wilco - The Whole Love
Best Debut: Yuck - Yuck
Need More Time: M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Most Anticipated for 2012: The Boss
Late Pass (Three albums I missed out on in 2010):
1. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
2. Tyler, The Creator - Bastard
3. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
Best Live Act: OFWGKTA
Artist of the Year: Bon Iver
Currently Listening: Bruce Springsteen - Out in the Street
|Tags: 2011, eoty, bon iver
|Missing concerts sucks
|Know what sucks? Two things: the last few weeks of school and artists who tour in December. Here's all of the concerts I at least would have tried to attend in Chicago if they were earlier in the semester:|
Jay-Z & Kanye West (Nov. 30/Dec. 1)
The National (Dec. 6)
Bon Iver (Dec. 9)
Ryan Adams (Dec. 11)
Wilco (Dec. 12 and like five other days)
Currently Listening: The National - Available
|Tags: jay-z, kanye west, the national, bon iver, ryan adams, wilco
|"Someway baby it's part of me, apart from me"
|I still haven't entirely figured out why, but Bon Iver's second album has had an incredible effect on me and who I am in the last several months. But it's something that's incredibly hard to nail down, much like the music itself. Every time I feel like I'm getting somewhat close to capturing the essence of what Justin is trying to say on the record, what images he is attempting to evoke, it slips away from me, like trying to remember a drunken memory or a distant dream. He paints vivid yet abstract pictures with incredible emotional resonance that feel like they're entirely too big for the eight inches of space between the listeners' ears. The songs on Bon Iver seem to jog the listener back and forth between the feeling one gets passing out on the floor at the end of a night of frustration and the feeling one gets standing on top of an isolated peak in the twilight. Or that's what I hear, at least.|
Or maybe even that is too definite a statement about the album. To be quite honest, I'm not sure.
"And I could see for miles, miles, miles..."
Currently Listening: Bon Iver - Holocene
[The picture is one I took on my friend's camera of the sun setting over the Taos Range of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in northern New Mexico this July]
|Tags: bon iver