| | |
Getting Past the Industry to Love Music Again
|Late Night Thoughts: Playlist 5 - Pretty Alive
|So, tonight was probably the official start of cold weather in Austin. Below is a playlist of songs to welcome the winter frost and sheets of ice...|
1) Get Up Kids - "Overdue"
2) Sunny Day Real Estate - "Pillars"
3) Copeland - "When Paula Sparks"
4) mewithoutYou - "The Soviet"
5) Brand New - "Luca"
6) Anathallo - "Genessaret (going out over 30,000 fathoms of water)"
7) Circa Surive - "In Fear and Faith"
8) Minus the Bear - "ice Monster"
9) Jimmy Eat World - "Disintegration"
10) Engine Down - "Second of February"
bundle up kids...it's going
|Tags: Late Night Thoughts, Playlist, AP.net, Winter
|(Not) Late Night Thoughts: Playlist Four - Journey Through the Mists
|I've been quite busy this week with no signs of slowing down. I've also been keeping busy with some new music. So here's what I've been spinning. Also, I understand that some of this stuff is from my "advance" pile, but you should be excited to hear it once it comes out.|
1. Matt and Kim - "Block After Block"
2. Glassjaw - "Natural Born Farmer"
3. Narrative - "Silence and Sirens"
4. The Republic of Wolves - "Tuez Le Tous, Dieu Reconnaitra Les Siens/Greek Fire"
5. Warpaint - "Undertow"
6. Norma Jean - "Deathbed Atheist"
7. Tera Melos - "Another Surf"
8. David Bazan - "Curse Your Branches"
9. Crime in Stereo - "I Am I Am Everything I Not"
10. Deerhunter - "He Would Have Laughed"
|Tags: Life, AP.net, Playlist
|(Not) Late Night Thoughts: Playlist 3-D
|Because, under the American mediocrity of life, everything needs to be these days. This week, my mind's been plagued with family emergency back home and lack of inspiration for writing just about anything. In fact, transcribing interviews as of late is more inspiring than most of what I've been peeping across the Inter Webs with Sportscenter on in the background.|
Okay, that Colbert thing was pretty fucking inspirational. No lie.
So here's a few tunes I've been spinning lately. They're kind of worth checking out.
1) Glassjaw - "Jesus Glue"
2) The Saddest Landscape - "Eternity is Lost on the Dying"
3) True Widow - "AKA"
4) Finch - "Bitemarks and Bloodstains"
5) Tera Melos - "Another Surf"
6) Spoon - "They Never Got You"
7) Pixies - "Silver" (seeing this live was amazing!)
8) Menomena - "Sleeping Beauty"
9) Gaslight Anthem - "Great Expectations"
10) Deftones - "The Boy's Republic"
- love and respect
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
|Tags: Life, AP.net, Playlist
|Late Night Thoughts: Too Sound Too Furious
|Short and simple, here's some songs you guys need to check out. If you're into post-hardcore/screamo, I've been digging the shit out of these tracks. Just saw My Heart to Joy last night. They killed it. Brought me back to the '90s/new millennial emocore. Though maybe it's just the Christie Front Drive reissue that's got me this past week.|
May 21, 1996...do you remember where you were?
1) We Were Skeletons - "Bruce Willis is Dead the Whole Time" (We Were Skeletons)
2) United Nations - "Resolution #9" (United Nations)
3) Narrows - "Recurring" (Split with Heiress)
4) My Heart to Joy - "Giving My Hands Away" (Seasons in Verse)
5) Hot Cross - "Exit and Trails" (Risk Revival)
6) Trash Talk - "Flesh and Blood" (Eyes and Nines)
7) Touche Amore - "I'll Get My Just Deserve" (Searching For a Pulse/The Worth of the World)
8) Native - "Backseat Crew" (Wrestling Moves)
9) La Dispute - "How I Feel" (Searching For a Pulse/The Worth of the World)
10) Pianos Become the Teeth - "Cripples Can't Shiver" (Old Pride)
|Tags: Late Night Thoughts, playlist, stuff
|Five and Alive: Summer Lovin'
|I remember asking Anton to do a list similar to this one when I first started this column. I figured we could add to it because it's just that time for us to put together a playlist and soak up the sun very soon.|
Animal Collective - "Brothersport" --- (Merriweather Post Pavilion) At the worst of times during this seasonal shift, as it rains and becomes unbearably humid between the clouds, this song has the power to break out in instant sunshine. At first, the frequencies' repetitive build in the beginning gets a bit annoying, but when it breaks and explodes for the last two thirds of the track, you just know that the summer will be fun, bright and ready for adventure ahead.
Deerhunter - "Nothing Ever Happened" (Microcastle) --- Bradford Cox is going to be my best friend this summer. Whether it's his acid trip inducing side project Atlas Sound or collaborations with the aforementioned pick on the list, the guy just knows how to have a good time. The track off this phenomenal album doesn't catch until the band lets loose at the end and then it's time to jump in the water and have the time of your life.
The Forecast - "(May You One Day) Carry Me Home" (In the Shadow of Two Gunmen) --- The band says it all in the line "Run away with me tonight!" It's the nights where the sun has settled and the windows are down and there is not a care in the world in whatever town or big city you are making memories in. Whether you're having a break from school, or just recognizing that it is summer even though you're working through it, the song still makes a point to take time and fill a mental scrapbook for the next few months.
Sleigh Bells - "Rill RIll" (Treats) --- I can already tell you this album will gain repeat offenses this summer. This track is for when the sun is just setting below the horizon. It's about driving home from the pond, park or long day roaming as a mallrat. While the rest of the album may garner the late night parties that will riddle the rest of the season, this one is set aside for reflection when things slow down for a bit.
Reggie and the Full Effect - "Congratulations Smack and Katy" (Under the Tray) --- Fuck Grease. Screw that cheese song about summer flings. This is the jam that packs the same feeling but leaves a better taste in our mouths. The keys are addictive and the desperation in the lyrics make for a more realistic anthem for all of us looking for that special someone during those warm nights. While the song may sound bleak, there's nothing dim about the pop shine on this one.
|Tags: Five and Alive, Summer Playlist