AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Speakerfire - 01.07.09 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1182522)

Linda Ferreira 07/12/09 09:53 AM

Speakerfire - 01.07.09

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer.

Speakerfire - (
Steve Tripi) [myspace] [ap.net profile]

1. How did you get your band name?
SpeakerFire originally was the name of one of my old band's songs. Not the most original story ever. We just always really felt a connection to the name, and ultimately, upon certain member changes, felt it was time to make the switch.

2. How did this band get started?
Myself, and Ian Wiedrick had been playing music for a really really long time, maybe 8 years. We actually met playing in this high school jazz band, I was actually in middle school at the time haha. We just ended up jamming, getting serious, then once again, when the old project disbanded we just kept on playing, and met the other Jo(h)n's (bass player and guitarist both named John) from other bands in the area.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
A lot of different stuff. We all collectively reach from so many good bands. Listen daily to Foo Fighters, Failure, Hum, Cave In, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Jimmy Eat World, the 90's space/alt rock thing really works for us. I myself am a huge jazz fan. Anything from the 50's on, especially if they were doing heroin, aka Coltrane-A Love Supreme era, or Miles Davis' Bitches Brew.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Well, I would of loved to toured with Failure, cause Ken Andrews is simply a genius, and he'd show us a lot. Snapcase, local Buffalo hardcore veterans would be an honor to grace the stage with them too. Basically any band mentioned above.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Probably a panda cause they're big and fluffy.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Passion. We believe in every note we play, and truly feel the songs we write epitomize our 4 unique, and most likely certifiable brains. Music is meaningless without the players really believing in what they're doing. If I see a band, and they don't look interested in what they're doing, why should I care? Regradless of styles/genre/sub-genre, we just really love playing aggressive, straightfoward and intelligent rock music. No breakdowns, bullshit, or self indulgence.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Everything Changes. It's a personal favorite. I don't think it would require too much skill per say to nail it in on expert, but the feel of the jam is what would be the hardest to translate to a game.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Jon Salemi, Daryl Taberski, all of our families/parents of course, John Black @ Piermont, Buffalo, NY proper.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Cynicism and negativity. I'm so tired of the jaded, harsh realities of this business. I don't care about soundscans, ticket sales, units shipped, its all conjecture for a dying media format. NOBODY is buying records anymore. Why pay if you get it for free? I just wish there'd be a realization that music, as an art form, still matters. The product is failing, why still push the same business model on a failed product? It doesn't make sense, and it seems the best players, the most talented musicians, are the ones left without any opportunities for success. Why isn't good songwriting, heartfelt live performances, enough in this industry? Its not. And that really sucks.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Without question, the winter "Disastour" 2007. The #12 Looks Like You, From a Second Story Window, Cancer Bats, and SpeakerFire. Our van's rear axle cracked and seized 4 days in, on a 3 week, full US tour. The short version of this story, we lied about everything, rented a van in Indianapolis, proceeded to put 7,000 miles on it in 2 weeks, and eventually made it to Seattle, Washington, and back. This mess cost well over $5,000 in all expenses, maybe way more. And kids with sweet white belts would ask us if we had "breakdowns or 2 steps" in our songs, we would say "no, we're a rock band" and then they'd leave. Sweet.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Not much. Its fun to read the gossip though.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Atrophy

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Tough to say, somewhere warm, away from freezing rain that makes you spin out of control into a snow bank.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
90's nostalgia songs-Gin Blossoms, Goo Goo Dolls, Better than Ezra, REM, even hot rap (BIG, Tupac, Coolio) or R & B jams (Boyz II Men, Mark Morrisson, etc)

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to kill a yak, from 300 yards away, with mind bullets.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Hahaha

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That were all neurotic, jaded fucks that hate pretty much anything. And we love sports. Go Bills, Sabres, UB Bulls. Really, seriously, we have a problem when it comes to sports.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Can't beat Halloween. How you goin' to fuck with a ton of hot chicks in scantily clad outfits? In the words of Mike Singletary, "cant do it"

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Sabres/Bills games, Xbox, occassionally do perfect pushups

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I've been told I have a voice for radio?

mcm1610 07/12/09 10:33 AM

Yeaaaaaa Steve Tripi!

Smotown 07/12/09 07:58 PM

Sweet dude!