AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Canon Logic, The - 08.13.09 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1260862)

Linda Ferreira 08/13/09 04:51 PM

Canon Logic, The - 08.13.09

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Canon Logic - (Sean Enright, bass) [myspace] [ap.net profile]

1. How did you get your band name?
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (Delaware), we went by the name Greenfront and were releasing our debut release, “The Canon Logic” ep. The thing was packaged similar to Catcher in the Rye and had this whole literary theme to it (so… canon, like the literary canon). At the same time we were trying to reinvent ourselves, and liked the ring of The Canon Logic, so we made that our band name too.

2. How did this band get started?
Tim and Josh met up freshman year at the University of Delaware and tinkered around with instruments and home recording devices for a couple years. Eventually, having a bunch of rad tunes under their belt, and feeling the need to play out more, they sought out some extra lads. They more or less found the rest of us by way of craigslist, and believe it or not, it worked. We’re a happy band of four years and are all close friends. We all moved to NYC together 2 years ago from the greater Philly area.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I think we all agree on the greats as influences… the Beatles, Radiohead, the Beach Boys. It branches out from there. Mike likes everything from Beck to Tool. Mark is a Sunny Day Real Estate fan. Josh likes Phish, Tim likes CSNY. I like Andrew WK. None of it really makes sense but it works somehow.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Obviously Van Halen. Anything to get a crack at that flying stage harness, or the infamous Jack Daniels bass guitar.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Ever see the South Park where Kyle’s dad gets a dolphinoplasty? I realize that a dolphin is technically furless, but come on, that was awesome.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because we’re making music that doesn’t sound like every other band you hear today. Our lyrics are narrative and tell a story, it’s not at all that “woe is me” crap. Our instrumentation is interesting and we have harmonies that involve actual singing. Most important, our songs are really catchy without sounding too familiar or redundant. Maybe I’m giving us too much credit…

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I would choose The Fabulist. Josh’s guitar work during the post-chorus is really something special. On expert… near impossible.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
God, Bill Murray, our famiiles, Eddie Murphy (but only for what he did pre-90s), Daryl Hall but not John Oates. Our 2 previous drummers for leaving us with Mike, who is awesome.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

No more haircut bands. I’m tired of those jagged haircuts.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Riding from Brooklyn to Chicago in a veggie oil bus to play 3 songs, hop back in the bus and drive all the way home again. And there was veggie oil spilled everywhere the entire time.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It’s a great site that is truly artist friendly. I love reading the standard music blogs, but their info is all aggregated from the same sources. It’s nice seeing some fresh info about real bands that haven’t all been manufactured by the industry.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Dead Man. It’ll be on our forthcoming album.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
To be perfectly honest, I’m a big fan of the Jersey Shore. Say what you will about it, but I have a lot of great memories there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I remember my older sister blasting the B-52s through my bedroom wall as a kid. I break into a seizure every time I hear Love Shack.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Ability to never screw up on the bass, so I could pursue other things, like swinging on a harness across the stage, etc.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

We’ve definitely seen steady growth and progress through the years, but I don’t think we’ll ever feel totally accomplished. Even when we finally ink a record deal, I think we’ll be striving to be the best that we can be, and trying to write songs that were better than the last batch. That’s the whole fun of being in a band. You don’t stop until you’re the Beatles, which is impossible, so essentially, you don’t stop.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

We’re all closet goths. Don’t tell anyone.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Columbus Day (for the mattress warehouse liquidation sales)

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Hang with our girlfriends, play music, go to shows, play basketball, skateboard, juggle, you know, the usual.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I, personally, am talentless. But Josh, up until a few months ago, was a private investigator. And there you have it, it all comes full circle to Hall and Oates. “Private Eyes, are watching you, they see your everrrry moooove.”

ladiesthatlunch 08/14/09 10:16 AM

these guys rule

awesome interview! if you haven't seen these guys live go do so. unbelievable!