AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Oh, The Story! - 02.04.10 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1553692)

Jamie Pham 02/11/10 03:54 PM

Oh, The Story! - 02.04.10

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Oh, The Story!

1. How did you get your band name?
guess the name is just a reflection of our intentions. People create music for a lot of different reasons, but hopefully with the same core reason (human connection). We want our music to tell a story that's both relatable and emotionally engaging.

2. How did this band get started?
James and Jw recorded “Sea of Stars” with the help of our friend Justin Chapman and kind of built the current line up around the EP. Chris and I joined and then I introduced the guys to Scott. Everything just fell into place pretty well.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We’re influenced by everything, from pop to jazz, hip-hop to indie rock… some of us are into indie, folk, some into hardcore and everything in between. We all seem to agree on Death Cab, As Tall As Lions, Say Anything and Good Old War though.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
If we could tour with any band in the whole entire world it would probably be Queen. I know James and I are huge fans and it would be the coolest thing to be airlifted by a helicopter to the stage.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
I would want to be an orca. I’m thrown off with the “a furry” part, but orcas are mammals and technically have hair. I choose this animal because they are extremely majestic and who wouldn’t love to just cruise under water and know that you are the man at all times!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We like to write songs that we personally enjoy and hopefully other people will enjoy as well.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
If we are basing this song choice off of level 5 expert play then I would lean towards “Keep Your Eyes To The North”. The break in that song is pretty badass and I know I would thoroughly enjoy playing that song 2 feet in front of the tv screen with the volume at 98. (Tv goes to 100)

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone! Being in band makes you realize the impact that everyone has on your life…friends and family for all the personal support and of course our fans for listening and constantly helping to promote us. It would truly be dedicated to everyone that has backed us up throughout the years. For a second at the end of typing that I thought we won a Grammy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The music industry has done great things and has gotten some great bands in the ears of people all over the world, so it is hard to bash it. I would say the only thing I would change is that Oh, The Story! needs to be more a part of it!

10. Memorable tour experience?
Whenever we tour through Syracuse, NY we always look forward to staying at our friends the Miklich’s. We get a place to stay (including cots for all) and we get a full fledge breakfast buffet in the morning! There is no better way to melt the hearts of a traveling musician then to feast them with a scrumptious meal! *Hint hint

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It is a great way to get music news and music related topics out to the public. The internet is huge. I’m not sure if you have heard, but it is kind of a big deal. We are all constantly online promoting and trying to get our name out there. It is great to know there are sites like AP.net that allow bands and fans to talk and share information with one another.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play live would have to be “The Astronomer”. The crowd seems to get into that song a lot live and the energy is always high. When the crowd is into a song, it just amps us up tenfold. So if you get a chance you should try and make it out to a show and share that experience with us!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Hmm... Well I love the warm weather. My favorite spot to vacation would have to be the Florida Keys, preferably Key West. The water is crystal blue and town is down to get down.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Grateful Dead. I know that sounds weird but my dad brought me and my brothers up on it.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would choose the power of flight. Who wouldn’t like to just be sitting there and then blast up into the sky? Plus I personally would be good on the environment due to low fuel consumption.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
“Made it” is a tough phrase my friends. Have we gotten signed and toured all over the world and made millions? No. But we do have some of the best fans in the world and when there are strangers who listen to our music and tell us they dig it, it makes us feel like we are doing our job. So, yeah we have sort of “made it”.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Most fans, in fact all the fans, do not know that I am deathly afraid of snakes! I can’t stand them one bit. Also, I tend to dislike cats. They are tigers at heart and tigers eat people!

18. What's your favorite holiday?
My favorite holiday would have to be Christmas. I’m not a huge fan of getting presents or buying presents, but ever since my nephew grasped the concept of Santa Clause and the beauty of the day, I have received a greater appreciation for the holiday. Sometimes we forget what it is like to be a kid and seeing a 4 year old on Christmas morning makes you remember how special it is.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to hang out with friends in my spare time. I don’t really have a lot of hobbies so with my free time I find myself spending it with close friends and sharing some good times! I guess you could say I enjoy reading books as well.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can ride a unicycle and juggle 3 tennis balls with a bowling ball thrown in mid juggle. I know it’s not much and you hear stories of people being able to have 3-4 bowling balls thrown in, but I feel like it’s something.

Oneurwaitingfor 02/11/10 04:13 PM

I'm guessing John Calvin filled this out...

HeavenResign 02/11/10 04:46 PM

Loved their first album! Haven't heard from them in awhile, way to act like "Good Morning Illumination" never existed though. The band started with your second album?

mollyzors 02/11/10 05:12 PM

I've seen these guys I think five times since a tiny show in Sykesville, Jan or Feb 2008. Really driven and very good at what they do. They're also genuinely cool guys; a friend and I showed up way too early to a Recher show later in 08, and they came out to say hey.

To Drow Swordsman, I'm pretty sure the author is a member of the second and not first line-up, so he's addressing this version of the band. Something like that, I guess. It's a shame, though, because Good Morning Illumination is an amazing record and the previous line-up was just as good as this one (and naturally had to have played a huge role in the band's development). Sea of Stars is good, but they have yet to make a song to take the place of "The Good Doctor" in my heart. xD

mcdizzle88 02/11/10 06:41 PM

Actually, Lou was a part of the original lineup.

MrBojangles6244 02/11/10 08:21 PM

This band is from my hometown. Nothing follows.

SlappyMcLardfat 02/15/10 03:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Josh did this interview. In question 2 he says that "Chris and I joined and then I introduced the guys to Scott," and Josh and Chris were in a band together before the joined OhTS. Check 'em out at www.myspace.com/incloverpa