AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Weekly Nostalgia: Refused (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1618372)

Adam Pfleider 03/31/10 10:14 AM

Weekly Nostalgia: Refused

Aesthetically, no one wants to ever be told what to expect. If a sound is so far off course from the norm, sometimes we don't even retain what just hit us right away. Like any sort of genre-defying move, the ideas eventually get regurgitated and overly run into the ground, or the ideas stem from earlier ground that never surfaced and took notice on a major level first. Refused has written their history with their 1998 album, The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimercial Bombination in 12 Bursts. It was an album inspired by an inner circle of friends and musicians in Sweden who were constantly trying to out do each other creatively. Only two years before, the band released Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent. It was brash and influenced by 80's American hardcore and the "new school" hardcore of bands such as Gorilla Biscuits and Born Against. But it would be The Shape of Punk to Come that would change everything. Some punk traditionalists hated it, while others (across any sort of genre) embraced its ideas of combining jazz, classical, and punk into one delicious gumbo. Before it even had the chance to take off, the band up and called it quits, but the album and their legacy still lives on today. Rumors flew this week of a reunion, but it will be nothing more than a reissue of the now classic album that holds influence over so many. On the track "Tannhäuser /Derivè" vocalist Dennis Lyxzén screams out "So where do we go from here? Just about anywhere!" It's refreshing. That statement still resonates today. At least, I hope it does. Too bad Refused are fucking dead. Long live Refused.

TheOtherAndrew 03/31/10 10:15 AM

The Shape of Punk to Come = one of the best albums ever.

jtyexists9 03/31/10 10:17 AM

These guys were so influential. The Shape of Punk to Come hands down could be consider one of the best punk or best albums of all time, especially in regards to creativity.

Refused may be fucking dead but I still listen to them religiously.

awesome pick Adam, touche.

3GunGaz 03/31/10 10:20 AM

In my opinion the greatest album ever made.

ReadyForAction 03/31/10 10:21 AM

Never checked them out before, will listen

Farley 03/31/10 10:22 AM

the shape of punk to come was a 1998 release, not 1997.

inthemidst 03/31/10 10:27 AM

Great band.

joelibyan 03/31/10 10:29 AM

I thought the title was so wrong when I heard the album. I loved it, but the title was a lie, IMO.

Turns out it was prophetic.

amberofcourse 03/31/10 10:32 AM

I was 6 when this album came out. Later on, I luckily discovered Refused through the other bands I listened to. The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums ever.

SuNDaYSTaR 03/31/10 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadyForAction (Post 64471202)
Never checked them out before, will listen

Really? In any case, you'll never be the same after a spin.

yoyostring 03/31/10 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherAndrew (Post 64470642)
The Shape of Punk to Come = one of the best albums ever.

:nod:

guitarliketom 03/31/10 10:45 AM

its amazing to hear what they were doing at that period in time and what eventually has evolved musically. they weren't fucking around

Kill_the_radio 03/31/10 10:58 AM

The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat!... Thank you...

The Revisionist 03/31/10 11:01 AM

So good.

fkdupvisions 03/31/10 11:10 AM

Refused are touring australia in september.
Excited =D