AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AP.net Re-spins: Catch For Us the Foxes (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1754092)

Adam Pfleider 06/16/10 12:49 PM

AP.net Re-spins: Catch For Us the Foxes

Maybe calling certain albums a "classic" overshadows certain appreciation for a record amongst a community that gauges albums so differently. For this week's nostalgia, I've taken another spin on mewithoutYou's 2004's Catch For Us the Foxes and attempt to understand its legacy amongst fans of the band. Hit the replies for some words and give us your take, the first time you heard it or what the album has meant to you as a fan or casual listener.

Adam Pfleider 06/16/10 12:49 PM

AP.net RespinsSome albums speak louder than their words. Some albums' words speak louder than their music. Some albums, well, border which grabs the listener more, the lyrics or the instrumentation. For mewithoutYou, Catch For Us the Foxes not only turned heads amongst listeners and artists alike for its content, it put the band in a category all their own.

There is a mood across Catch For Us the Foxes unlike any other. It's dark and inwardly uncomfortable. There's so much hope, but it's masked under the heavy beats of drummer Rickie Mazzotta as he hits like heart murmurs maneuvering through vocalist Aaron Weiss' poetic delivery. Weiss acts less a frontman and more a town crier to a community latched onto every word of faith, hope, troubles and depression.

From the drive of "January 1979," where Weiss crams in a wordy story to how "The Soviet" crescendos into something special worth every goose bump up the crawl of your arm, the band floors the mind and floats the heart if its listeners. For some, the songs capture instrumentally, to others it's the lyrical content holding more worth. Songs like "Disaster Tourism" and "My Exit, Unfair" don't contain cheap opening riffs, instead they sound a bit more like smart little anti-breakdowns that set the mood and imagery.

Speaking of cheap, passion is something that is just thrown around these days, but listening to the closing "Carousels" and "Son of Widow," passion is defined not only by heartfelt words of Weiss but by the listener getting through his knack for storytelling and how uneasy it may be to follow. I'm not a grand writer able to capture that feeling through words, but I think there is an understanding of that "passion" amongst fans of the band.

Catch For Us the Foxes shows that some bands have the gall to try new things and some bands will continue to do the same and fade away. The album still holds up almost a decade later. As for its lyrical undertones, those can be debated amongst friends and family, but there's no argument that mewithoutYou set a bar with their sophomore release. To this day, I can't even tell you a band or album that sounds anything "like it," past or present. That says a lot with how many similar RIYL you see these days.

IceAge/HeatWave 06/16/10 12:58 PM

well done.

while i prefer brother, sister, this is definitely one hell of an album. mewithoutYou almost single-handedly rejuvenated my interest in faith, and remains one of my three favorite bands. carousels is one of the most flawless songs in the band's catalogue.

Bazy0 06/16/10 01:00 PM

Yeah, this is a really good album, I'm going to listen to it right now. January 1979 is one of my favourite songs ever.

Cody Nelson 06/16/10 01:02 PM

Is this a new weekly column?

showyourteeth 06/16/10 01:06 PM

seeing these guys tonight
can't wait

dismrepair08 06/16/10 01:07 PM

I would definitely agree that Catch For Us the Foxes is a classic. It's easily one of my all-time favorites...Aaron Weiss's lyrics are the defining element of this album (and this band) for me. His gut-wrenchingly honest explorations of things like life, faith, and loneliness are like a touchstone that I always seem to come back and relate to. The music seems to match the lyrics perfectly, resulting in an album that is introspective, brooding, and cathartic. All-in-all, it's just a great album.

hydraulicheart 06/16/10 01:08 PM

This album (and band) has done so much for me. Hands down my favorite record of all time. This band can do no wrong for me.

Adam Pfleider 06/16/10 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nellson13 (Post 69430072)
Is this a new weekly column?

reformatting this...

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1522011

Cody Nelson 06/16/10 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Pfleider (Post 69430412)

OK. Real cool. I like this new title better, though.

Adam Pfleider 06/16/10 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nellson13 (Post 69430482)
OK. Real cool. I like this new title better, though.

that's something that was under discussion. i.e. the first line I put in the news post. haha.

Cody Nelson 06/16/10 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Pfleider (Post 69430552)
that's something that was under discussion. i.e. the first line I put in the news post. haha.

Haha, understandable.

JordanBuell 06/16/10 01:12 PM

Words can barely express the greatness of this album.

mymusicismylife 06/16/10 01:15 PM

This album inspires awe.

Clark 06/16/10 01:18 PM

JANUARY NINETEEN SEVENTY NINE
saw a terrible crash

mymusicismylife 06/16/10 01:21 PM

I feel this album deserves more of a response from me than "inspires awe." This was my first mewithoutYou album, and although Brother, Sister holds a place closer to my heart, they are both dear to me. It took some time for me to "get" mewithoutYou, but once I did I never looked back. They whisked me away on a journey of powerful, emotional music and deep, well-crafted lyrics that hit me just right. This album is one of the best I own, and this band is one of the best I've heard. If ever I could speak with just one band, and talk about anything at all for any time at all, it would be mewithoutYou.

low_rising 06/16/10 01:22 PM

wow i was just listening to their entire discovery , yea this album sure is great , actually this was the album that got me into creating music and really appreciating it. AWESOME ALBUM ART

Takk...Ros 06/16/10 01:23 PM

This has always been my favorite mewithoutYou album. So good, so ridiculously good.

skinnypuppy 06/16/10 01:24 PM

This band makes me believe that love, faith and unity still exists.

flask 06/16/10 01:27 PM

this is one of those albums i only wish i could write.

MelissaMDaniels 06/16/10 01:27 PM

Props for recognizing this, hauntingly powerful album. Weiss' lyrical abilities amaze me.

live4music 06/16/10 01:32 PM

The first time I heard it I thought WTF did I just hear. The second time I heard it, I answered my own question: pure awesomeness.

Adam Pfleider 06/16/10 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaMDaniels (Post 69431872)
hauntingly powerful

I think that sums it up right there. :appl:

xapplexpiex 06/16/10 01:34 PM

I'm not a hardcore fan of this band, but I really enjoy their lyrics and the imagery they convey.

xapplexpiex 06/16/10 01:39 PM

Also, great write-up, Adam. I hope there are more of these AP.net Respins.

The Apollo Kid 06/16/10 01:43 PM

Lyrically, its one of the strongest albums I own. Never an album that I can occasionally play, but when Im in the mood, its immense. Seven Sisters is a fav

GeeBee 06/16/10 01:45 PM

My love of this album is matched only by my disappointment for "It's All False...".

HometownHero 06/16/10 01:47 PM

This album punches you in the face, kicks you in the balls, pulls your hair, and then spits on you, in the best way possible. It's like a fucking journey listening to this masterpiece.

MelissaMDaniels 06/16/10 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Pfleider (Post 69432332)
I think that sums it up right there. :appl:

hah, thanks! "i was dead than alive, she was like wine turned to water and turned back to wine".....i'm going to be listening to this cd all day now.

Two Headed Girl 06/16/10 01:59 PM

I just got goosebumps thinking about this album.

coryatlarge 06/16/10 02:09 PM

What good is just one string? What good is just one note?! One string sounds fine I guess but why pluck one string when you can STRUM THE GUITAR!!!!!

twokidtech 06/16/10 02:09 PM

I love this album

bowl of oranges 06/16/10 02:11 PM

My favorite mwY album, hands down. I'm going to listen to this again now. Awesome article.

awakeohsleeper 06/16/10 02:11 PM

One of my favourite albums ever. It cemented Aaron Weiss as a lyrical genius. I waited over a month for it to be shipped to the UK. The anticipation was unbelievably great and it did not disappoint. This album ensured that mewithoutYou will always be one of my favourite bands.

Cheesus 06/16/10 02:12 PM

Wonderful read, couldn't agree more. This band is simply set apart.

kbi the crowing 06/16/10 02:15 PM

I used to strongly dislike this album; now it is my favorite mwY album. I remember listening to it one time while reading the lyrics (something I rarely do) and was pretty blown away. I should actually learn the lyrics at some point.

January 1979 is my least favorite song on the album.

deadjean 06/16/10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4music (Post 69432302)
The first time I heard it I thought WTF did I just hear. The second time I heard it, I answered my own question: pure awesomeness.

That was my exact reaction...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeBee (Post 69433312)
My love of this album is matched only by my disappointment for "It's All False...".

I agree. I think all of what made Foxes, and brother sister great was lost in it's all false. It was all about the passion and intensity in aarons vocals and lyrics. That seemed lost to me in the new album.

On a side note, at cornerstone one year, they played catch for us the foxes in its entirety, from front to back, and it was one of the greatest nights of my life...

Romancebled 06/16/10 02:25 PM

This is one of my favorite albums ever.

MattDennis 06/16/10 02:29 PM

I wasn't ready for these guys when I first heard them, which is funny because I loved Aaron's part in "Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste" when Bless the Martyr was released a couple years prior to this. Catch For Us... truly is amazingly unique and creative though. January 1979 and Paper Hanger are all time favorite songs of mine now.

lld767 06/16/10 02:34 PM

Amazing album.

jonathandanner 06/16/10 02:38 PM

mewithoutYou is one of my favorite bands of all time and they constantly amaze me with everything they put out. This album is, and always will be, one of my favorite albums ever. I couldn't say my favorite song off this album because I don't think one is better than the other. Every song is amazing. True, passionate, redemption stories. If you haven't listened to this band, check them out right now.

GeeBee 06/16/10 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadjean (Post 69435512)
I agree. I think all of what made Foxes, and brother sister great was lost in it's all false. It was all about the passion and intensity in aarons vocals and lyrics. That seemed lost to me in the new album.

On a side note, at cornerstone one year, they played catch for us the foxes in its entirety, from front to back, and it was one of the greatest nights of my life...

Word. That must've been amazing to see at cornerstone.

Formatfun 06/16/10 02:47 PM

This was the first album I heard by them, and I liked it instantly. I really dig the vocals from Aaron.

SweetThye 06/16/10 02:56 PM

My favorite mewithoutYou album.... hands down. Such a stellar band. This album is a masterpiece.

pleasedontpanic 06/16/10 03:03 PM

I remember hearing "Bullet To Binary" on a Tooth and Nail sampler and thinking it was complete and utter trash. Someone said it, but I wasn't ready for them when I was first introduced to their music. "Torches Together" was my second introduction, and honestly it took me a while to understand where they were coming from. However, like most people who come at mwY from a genuine perspective, there is no doubt they will win you over. "Paper Hanger" and "Four Word Letter (pt. 2)" are no doubt two of my favorite songs, and the rest of the album is brilliance and madness all at once. Though they have a shockingly faithful fan base, I still consider them truly underrated and some of the few musical adventurers present in the rock genre. Brother, Sister is definitely my favorite album of theirs, but Catch for us the Foxes truly holds a special place in my heart (as does it's all crazy...).

imelliott 06/16/10 03:14 PM

i was a casual listener when i picked this up in 2004. i bought the record by a recommendation from a friend. this first track hit me so hard. i was confused, intrigued and loved every second of that first listen. now one of my favorite bands, this record is my favorite of theirs. it's a record that has my attention from start to finish.

A7XXX 06/16/10 03:14 PM

I was fortunate enough to see them live for the first time last week and the energy there was so raw and real. As a new fan, I couldn't possibly say which album is my favorite yet but with so many people liking Catch for us the Foxes I'm sure I'll grow to love it as well

icynova 06/16/10 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeeBee (Post 69433312)

This

xsinkshipsx 06/16/10 03:43 PM

if I was forced to make a favorite albums of all time list...this could have an argument for number one...anytime I am down spiritually, this album meets me where I am

review 06/16/10 04:11 PM

This album got me into mwY and an infinite amount of other great bands, I have nothing but praise for it. But if we're talking about inspiring awe and being emotionally crippled by an album I'd have to go with Brother, Sister. That album will still have me dropping my jaw when I'm a ripe old man.