AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Steel Train - Steel Train (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1779072)

Gregory Robson 07/01/10 12:41 PM

Steel Train - Steel Train

Steel Train - Steel Train
Record Label: Terrible Thrills
Release Date: June 29, 2010

Man it must be nice to be Jack Antonoff. Between a dalliance with Scarlett Johanssen and cult-like status in the super group Fun, the New York City-based frontman is also the brain trust behind burgeoning indie juggernauts Steel Train. Veteran performers of Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Coachella the quintet are a much-praised, must-see live act who made a sizable dent with their 2007 full-length Trampoline. This year's self-titled follow-up is a harmonic collection of 12 veritable anthems. Soaring, transcendent and deeply felt, it's as good a disc as any released this year.

The band sets the tone exquisitely on the triumphant opening number "Bullet," a tightly packed, four-minute pop masterpiece. Anchored by Antonoff's confident vocals, its rising chorus is arguably one of 2010's finest moments. If album openers are supposed to be introductory statements, then Steel Train has indeed made the declaration of the year. For those still not on the bandwagon, it's time to step on and start taking this band seriously.

The jittery, yelpy and sometimes spastic "Turnpike Ghost," introduces the band's flair for the dramatic, Antonoff's trademark narrative tone and as cohesive a rhythm section as any not named Tavarez and Sarcona. Not one to be pigeonholed, the quintet tackles the cerebral on "You and I Undercover," a piano-laden rumination that shuffles along with a confidence and swagger as charming and indelible as anything the band has released to date.

And so it continues. Every measured moment, every nuanced angle, every passing moment brims with urgency, passion and consistency. Never once do any of the 12 songs ebb or flow. Never once is there a dip or hiccup. From the frolicking and sometimes spiky "You are Dangerous," to the propulsive and percussive "S.OG. Burning in Hell," the album's first half is a cohesive, focused and buoyant collection of 70s era album-oriented rock.

Known as much for their rambunctiousness as their literate ways, Steel Train have managed to take all the hallmarks of their sound but pushed them even farther. And yet never once is their sound compromised. The sexual luminescence of “Touch Me Bad,” and the harnessed precision of “Behavior,” reveals an attention to detail never felt on Trampoline or Twilight Tales from the Prairies of the Sun.

On the disc's second half, there's never a dull moment. Whether it's the caffeinated buzz of "Children of the 90s," or the straightforward honesty of the falsetto-laden "Soldier in the Army," there's nary a crack, wrinkle or blemish. The album's closing triumvirate offers up the hazy acoustic ditty "Bloody Lips," arguably the album's weakest offering, the explosive "The Speedway Motorcycle Racers Club," and the nearly perfect closer 'Fall Asleep," a stirring splash of chamber pop that's potent, panged and pristine.

That this self-titled is so profound is important for a slew of reasons, but none are more important than these two: Foremost, Steel Train was self-produced, proving that Antonoff is equally adept behind the knobs as he is behind the mic. That these 12 songs sound so rich and vibrant is a testament to his inherent skills as a musician. To put it simply, he knows his way around a song and knows what to do, perhaps better than most, if not all, of his peers. He knows when to restrain himself, he knows when to leave it all on the table and he knows when to trust his bandmates.

Equally as important is the very fact that this effort marks their first project since breaking free from the shackles of California's Drive-Thru Records. Now fully independent and wholly DIY, Steel Train have most assuredly announced their arrival as one of rock music's most engaging purveyors.

Track Listing 1. Bullet
2. Turnpike Ghost
3. You And I Undercover
4. You Are Dangerous
5. S.O.G. Burning in Hell
6. Touch Me Bad
7. Behavior
8. Children of the 90s
9. Soldier in the Army
10. Bloody Lips
11. The Speedway Motor Racers Club
12. Fall Alseep

Recommended If You Like My Morning Jacket, Kings of Leon, The Format, Limbeck

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

DeathOrGlory 07/01/10 12:49 PM

Perfect review. This album demands repeat spins. Steel Train will be around for a while.

yo jeff 07/01/10 12:52 PM

"...with their 2003 full-length Trampoline"

Trampoline came out in 2007

besides that, pretty good review. this is such a fun album, debatable if it's going to outlast trampoline for me though. either way, definitely one of my main summer jams this year

aradiantsunrise 07/01/10 12:53 PM

Good review. This band kills it every time.

BornUnderPunches 07/01/10 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo jeff (Post 70327632)

close enough.......ok maybe not haha

Meeze 07/01/10 12:56 PM

Greg, Twilight Tales From The Prairies of the Sun came out in 2005. Their debut was followed by Trampoline which came out in 2007...don't know where you got 2003 from. Typo perhaps? Alas, good review non the less, and a stellar release by the band.

Gregory Robson 07/01/10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meeze (Post 70327952)
Greg, Twilight Tales From The Prairies of the Sun came out in 2005. Their debut was followed by Trampoline which came out in 2007...don't know where you got 2003 from. Typo perhaps? Alas, good review non the less, and a stellar release by the band.

Huge typo. Fixing it now. I was tackling two things at once. I apologize folks!

Gregory Robson 07/01/10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo jeff (Post 70327632)

besides that, pretty good review. this is such a fun album, debatable if it's going to outlast trampoline for me though. either way, definitely one of my main summer jams this year

Fixed. My apologies!

S9Dallasoz 07/01/10 01:02 PM

Robson wins.

tossit 07/01/10 01:04 PM

amazing album! one of the best of the year so far

mariaggonzalez 07/01/10 01:08 PM

excellent album!

raptorz44 07/01/10 01:20 PM

Great album. Jack dated Scarlett Johanson? Nice.

XenoAbe 07/01/10 01:26 PM

I like this album a lot. What are their previous albums like musically compared to this one? I'd like to grab those if they're comparable.

broaddplease 07/01/10 01:27 PM

This album is so fun. You Are Dangerous is my favorite.

Cody Nelson 07/01/10 01:29 PM

Have listened to this at least 30 times already. Such a fantastic album, easily in my top 3 for the year.

Alison1488 07/01/10 01:36 PM

Fantastic review...only because you agree with me. =P This is my favorite album of the year, thus far. I honestly cannot stop telling people about it.

Thomas Nassiff 07/01/10 01:36 PM

I'm really loving this record. It surprised me, I need to check out their older stuff.

Chris Fallon 07/01/10 01:40 PM

One of my favorite records of the year. Said it before, and I will say it again: it's this year's Dog Problems.

Thomas Nassiff 07/01/10 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Fallon (Post 70331652)
One of my favorite records of the year. Said it before, and I will say it again: it's this year's Dog Problems.

That's high praise but to an extent I agree. A friend of mine quoted it as, "Dog Problems but really weird." Pretty much sums it up haha

Chris Fallon 07/01/10 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 70331732)
That's high praise but to an extent I agree. A friend of mine quoted it as, "Dog Problems but really weird." Pretty much sums it up haha

The band has a lot in common with the Format now more than ever. Blame it on working in fun. I guess, but this record in particular reminds me of them. It's exactly what intelligent pop music should be!

Holly HoX! 07/01/10 01:46 PM

Quote:

Wow. That's bold. I got the album, but have yet to get into it. With a comment like that I know I'll dig it.

brenByah 07/01/10 01:55 PM

I feel like the band's finally reached their full potential with this album. They've grown a lot and it shows in the best way possible.

geebee889 07/01/10 01:57 PM

Excellent review and album! As of right now, it's safe to say that this is my album of the year. So so good.

uglystar03 07/01/10 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorz44 (Post 70330072)
Great album. Jack dated Scarlett Johanson? Nice.

He mentions her in a few songs on Twilight Tales and I feel like part of I Feel Weird was about her. I believe he's currently dating Alia Shawkat of Arrested Development. Lucky man.

I didn't realize this album was self-released. I'll definitely be purchasing it. I would've preordered it if I had realized it was a self-release.

geebee889 07/01/10 01:58 PM

Quote:

Oh yes!

A7XXX 07/01/10 02:16 PM

Prop to them for self-releasing this one. This one is a perfect follow up to Trampoline.

Jake Jenkins 07/01/10 02:17 PM

I want this so bad. I've never listened to this band, but I've heard nothing but great things about this album.

Tostitos 07/01/10 02:21 PM

absolutely love some of the tracks on this record, but as always some filler. But considering they now have more then a enough great material to play a long set I'm happy.

Keagan Ilvonen 07/01/10 02:28 PM

Greg, you dog you. Fucking awesome job. Album is a huge step up from the last. One of the biggest sleeper pop albums of the year.

Keagan Ilvonen 07/01/10 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Fallon (Post 70332012)
The band has a lot in common with the Format now more than ever. Blame it on working in fun. I guess, but this record in particular reminds me of them. It's exactly what intelligent pop music should be!

Nate has rubbed off on Jack and it's oh so sweet.

HometownHero 07/01/10 02:43 PM

Vocals should be higher imo but still great review. Album grows more and more each day. But I would never compare it to Dog Problems. Feels like blasphemy.

Keagan Ilvonen 07/01/10 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophos34 (Post 70333732)
I want this so bad. I've never listened to this band, but I've heard nothing but great things about this album.

Then go get it!!!

Jake Jenkins 07/01/10 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keagan Ilvonen (Post 70335742)
Then go get it!!!

I plan on doing so tonight, assuming I don't lose all my money in poker beforehand.

Blake Solomon 07/01/10 03:03 PM

biggest surprise of 2010 for me.

Keagan Ilvonen 07/01/10 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophos34 (Post 70336122)
I plan on doing so tonight, assuming I don't lose all my money in poker beforehand.

Smart man.

Gregory Robson 07/01/10 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Solomon (Post 70336402)
biggest surprise of 2010 for me.

I totally agree. They didn't just take a step forward, they catapulted forward.

Chris Fallon 07/01/10 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchino08 (Post 70335312)
Vocals should be higher imo but still great review. Album grows more and more each day. But I would never compare it to Dog Problems. Feels like blasphemy.

Haha I know what you mean, but that's the sort of impression it will leave on listeners - one similar to what Dog Problems did back in 2006.

weworemasks 07/01/10 05:16 PM

sexy album, sexy review. agree with the score, except i'd put it at about a b-.

Keagan Ilvonen 07/01/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Fallon (Post 70343292)
Haha I know what you mean, but that's the sort of impression it will leave on listeners - one similar to what Dog Problems did back in 2006.

Best way to put it.

Tec Mason 07/01/10 05:23 PM

this album is fantastic. only two songs in and I can't get enough. Aim & Ignite was one of the best albums of last year, and this is shaping up to be a similar venture

BensonHedges 07/01/10 05:39 PM

This album is so absolutely fantastic. It's all like these pieces of a puzzle coming together to make this amazing big picture. That sounds cheesy but I don't know how else to phrase it. Love this album, love love love it.

WSquarePark 07/01/10 06:08 PM

this is really great.

i bet i bet 07/01/10 06:47 PM

Quote:

i like this

blinkme 07/01/10 08:19 PM

Love love love this album. Can't wait for the vinyl to arrive.

mymusicismylife 07/01/10 08:22 PM

I must listen to this.

slimfenix182 07/01/10 08:27 PM

"rambunctiousness"? they must have changed since I watched them get flicked off for the entire show when they played with Finch and Senses Fail years ago. will give this a listen.

ReadyForAction 07/01/10 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 70331732)

hey that was me!

Juan Jose 07/01/10 10:27 PM

definitely their best work so far, is anyone gonna review the terrible thrills album?

Thomas Nassiff 07/01/10 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadyForAction (Post 70355232)
hey that was me!

Indeed it was, I gave you your cred!

cshadows2887 07/01/10 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophos34 (Post 70333732)

I can't vouch for this album enough, for what it's worth. It gets better every time I spin it, and there aren't a lot of records you can say that about.