AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1921162)

Gregory Robson 09/21/10 08:37 AM

Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give

Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give
Record Label: Atlantic Records/Southern Ground
Release Date: Sept. 21, 2010

The Georgia sextet Zac Brown Band threw the music world for a loop when it won Best New Artist at the 2010 Grammy's. Though their emergence on the national spectrum was not much of a surprise to country music fans who helped the band place five singles from their 2008 major label debut The Foundation they were seen as outsiders and relative newcomers to most. Their follow-up to the 2x platinum-selling The Foundation is the comfortable and corny You Get What You Give, a collection of tender, midtempo arrangements with more platitudes than a Hallmark gift shop.

That's not to say that the album is weak, in fact it's rather strong, but the saccharine nature of the lyrics and the tepid arrangements do leave a bit to be desired. Of the 14 tracks, the high points include the plaintive piano ballad "Colder Weather," the reggae-infused Jimmy Buffet-duet "Knee Deep," the raucous cutup "Make This Day," and the Alan Jackson duet "As She's Walking Away." Soon-to-be single "No Hurry," borrows the same message as album opener, "Let it Go," and the timeless "Quiet Your Mind," all of them paeans to simplicity and carefree, easy living. Even worse is penultimate cut "Martin," a winsome acoustic ballad that unfortunately is written about Brown's guitar.

When the band tries to cut it loose, such as the Carribbean-influenced "Settle Me Down," the 10-minute jam-band epic "Who Knows," and the gnomic bluegrass cut "Whiskey's Gone," they put their best foot forward and offer a sense of urgency and pace not seen on much of the collection. Those high points elucidate the fact that their Grammy Award was certainly well-deserved, but why must they be so few and far between?

All negativty aside, Brown's rising tenor is indeed one of popular music's strongest instruments and it wears itself well here. That simple fact is probably why years from now, the history books will look back on these Peach Tree boys with
fondness and affection. Though You Get What You Give is not their strongest offering to date, it certainly points to a most promising future. And that in and of itself is probably all the music world really needs.

Track Listing 1. Let It Go
2. Knee Deep (featuring Jimmy Buffet)
3. No Hurry
4. I Play the Road
5. Cold Hearted
6. Whiskey's Gone
7. Quiet Your Mind
8. Colder Weather
9. Settle Me Down
10. As She's Walking Away (featuring Alan Jackson)
11. Keep Me In Mind
12. Who Knows
13. Martin
14. Make This Day

Recommended If You Like Jimmy Buffet, Uncle Kracker, Marshall Tucker Band, Kenny Chesney, Kevn Kinney

Find Them Here Website

nfgtbs13 09/21/10 09:07 AM

These guys are from my hometown and put on an outstanding live show. Their albums aren't an accurate reflection of how good this band can be, see them live and you'll be impressed if your a fan.

Gregory Robson 09/21/10 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfgtbs13 (Post 75635472)
These guys are from my hometown and put on an outstanding live show. Their albums aren't an accurate reflection of how good this band can be, see them live and you'll be impressed if your a fan.

Don't disagree with you there. Truly a great live band.

zachff 09/21/10 09:52 AM

These guys have a lake house (or one of them has a house) next to my girlfriend's mom's place outside of Atlanta.

sleepyseanzzz 09/21/10 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachff (Post 75638742)
These guys have a lake house (or one of them has a house) next to my girlfriend's mom's place outside of Atlanta.

sweet brag

zachff 09/21/10 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyseanzzz (Post 75657152)
sweet brag

Not really a brag, just an observation. Sweet comment brah

Ryan Dennehy 09/21/10 07:36 PM

my personal favorite zac brown band lyric: the senoritas dont care-o when there's no dinero.

uh oh smmoreo 09/21/10 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaplainTappman (Post 75677222)
my personal favorite zac brown band lyric: the senoritas dont care-o when there's no dinero.

put my ass in a lawn chair, toes in the clay
not a worry in the world, a PBR on the way
life is good today, life is good today

clearly best lyric ever

saw these guys over the summer, it was fucking awesome.

SeanEBoy2686 09/21/10 10:26 PM

this album kicks ass... it may be country at it's heart, but don't let that deter you from checking it out

lindZ629 09/22/10 04:55 PM

Thoroughly impressed with their live show. They played some mighty fine covers as well. Would love to see them headline soon.

derekjd 09/23/10 11:58 AM

I'll have to check this band out.
Great review.

UnderMyDreams 09/24/10 06:01 PM

They might have a great live show, but god dammit I can't get past the shittiness of Chicken Fried.

Gregory Robson 09/24/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderMyDreams (Post 75883362)
They might have a great live show, but god dammit I can't get past the shittiness of Chicken Fried.

Blasphemy. Song kicks my ass so hard. Love it to death. Hate on it all you want, it owns my soul.

UnderMyDreams 09/24/10 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Robson (Post 75884122)
Blasphemy. Song kicks my ass so hard. Love it to death. Hate on it all you want, it owns my soul.

I love country music, I just can't get over that song!

Gregory Robson 09/24/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderMyDreams (Post 75884232)
I love country music, I just can't get over that song!

I'm thrilled you love country music ( and that is not sarcasm). I often feel very isolated on this site because I am such a huge fan.