AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Still Rings True - Tear Down The Walls (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2315842)

Christian Wagner 06/06/11 09:55 PM

Still Rings True - Tear Down The Walls

Still Rings True - Tear Down The Walls
Record Label: Third Time Lucky Records
Release Date: June 10, 2011

I wrote a review of Still Rings True's EP, Anger Is A Gift, and to sum it up, I liked it but it didn't blow me away. You could hear the potential but the band didn't quite reach it yet. However, with the Syracuse, New York based 3 piece's latest full length, Tear Down The Walls, the band gives us an album that should be held in the same breath as the likes of Balance and Composure, Man Overboard, Such Gold, and the rest of this new age pop-punk/hardcore movement.

The biggest difference you find in this band compared to its peers is that there is zero lyrical content about love and heartache. It's all about social, economic, and political reform. Not in a radical way, but it's all about empowerment and striving for better. I could go on and on and list you the myriad of lyrics that the band says, but you can listen for yourself.

If you have listened to Still Rings True before, you know what to expect: breakneck drum beats, old school hardcore riffs, and lots of harmonies from guitarist Josh Snyder and bassist Leo LaMay. This is both a blessing and a curse for the band because you can hear improvement from the band but if you're a new listener the songs will blend together. The song structures are very much the same in every song, and it becomes repetitive after awhile. If you have listened to older work from the band, you can hear a vast step up in their melodies and chord progression.

The album kicks off with the title track and immediately sets the tone for the album as Snyder belts "Light a match and burn this mother fucker to the ground!" From there, it transitions seamlessly into "This Is A Threat." The band elected to re-record their entire Anger Is A Gift EP so you get revamped and improved tracks from an already solid EP.

My favorite track on the record happens to come from one of the later tracks, "Empty Words." The song has an extremely unique opening guitar riff and an eventual solo that incorporates a very metal sound. The subject matter is all about celebrities and prominent public figures that are puppets and completely fake.

Overall, Tear Down The Walls should be mentioned in the same breath as many of the aforementioned bands and has the capability to catch on very quickly in the underground.

RIYLSuch Gold, Man Overboard, Balance & Composure

LinksFacebook

drevans18 06/06/11 11:31 PM

I'm excited to listen to this. I liked their earlier stuff, but this review has gotten me really excited.

ThisIsNotDan 06/07/11 05:50 AM

this literally sounds nothing like Balance And Composure. not in the least

elliottsmithfan 06/07/11 06:58 AM

i love how many bands now are getting compared to contemporaries. bring on the over saturation of bands that sound like the ones who are popular now.

Cøltøn 06/07/11 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotDan (Post 90390181)
this literally sounds nothing like Balance And Composure. not in the least

I don't think that is what he is implying. He means that they fit in with this new wave of bands that are all kind of tight nit and have a similar fan base (despite the difference in genre). For instance, I would throw The Wonder Years, Touche Amore, B&C, Man Overboard, La Dispute, etc all into this group. Kind of the whole Run For Cover/No Sleep scene.

What's the track listing for this? I'm excited. Especially since I haven't heard Anger Is A Gift yet.

cococrisp20 06/07/11 07:34 AM

Pretty good review, I'm really looking forward to hearing this

risexfall 06/07/11 07:40 AM

chillest bros.

ThisIsNotDan 06/07/11 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cøltøn (Post 90391402)
I don't think that is what he is implying. He means that they fit in with this new wave of bands that are all kind of tight nit and have a similar fan base (despite the difference in genre). For instance, I would throw The Wonder Years, Touche Amore, B&C, Man Overboard, La Dispute, etc all into this group. Kind of the whole Run For Cover/No Sleep scene.

What's the track listing for this? I'm excited. Especially since I haven't heard Anger Is A Gift yet.

yeah that's cool and all but if I'm looking at a review and it says "reccomended if you like so and so" I think bands that actually, you know, actually sound like the one being reviewed should be listed.

suicidalmoose 06/07/11 09:09 AM

damn it there's too much good music coming out now, I can't keep up with this :-(

Cøltøn 06/07/11 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotDan (Post 90394732)
yeah that's cool and all but if I'm looking at a review and it says "reccomended if you like so and so" I think bands that actually, you know, actually sound like the one being reviewed should be listed.

My bad, didn't realize you were referring to the RIYL. I'd have to agree with you on that one.

brandon_260 06/08/11 08:33 AM

RIYL: Balance and Composure, Such Gold, and Man Overboard?! I really need to check this out, three of my favorite bands at the moment.

Truman122 06/11/11 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 90440762)
RIYL: Balance and Composure, Such Gold, and Man Overboard?! I really need to check this out, three of my favorite bands at the moment.

Minus the Balance and MOB, and that RIYL is true.

Jaimehere 06/11/11 04:23 PM

About to finish the album, shit is great

sounds like a very melodic hardcore album

some of the tracks that stood out to me were I Am Ghost because of the unexpected breakdown towards the end and Empty Words with the nice solo also towards the end

UnderMyDreams 06/12/11 08:24 AM

Good guys, but sounds like a bad attempt at sounding like Set Your Goals. :shrug:

stevesy 01/22/12 06:20 AM

syg

this record is way beyond set your goals. i can see how to the superficial listener a comparison would seem sensible, but once you dig past the fact that they both play skate beat, you'll unravel the true core of both bands, leaving one leaps and bounds ahead of the other in skill, message, intergrity. syg is a joke.