That Mouth - 09.19.11
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
1. How did you get your band name?
We searched through the songs of our favourite band's albums on iTunes and found the song name "That Mouth" by Owen. It was either that or "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney.
2. How did this band get started?
Three members remained from the split of an indie folk band we used to be in and we decided to continue as a bass-free three piece, formerly called Los.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Bjork, Fever Ray, Jeff Buckley, Bon Iver, No Effects, The Meters, Nirvana, The Mars Volta.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Nirvana to learn how to break expensive things without the worry of having to replace them on a credit card.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Sunday Roast at Toby's Carvery - there's never one far away! Also gets cheaper as you go further north...
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, we've put an awful lot of effort in.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Someone who slides down a bob sleigh track head first, very fast.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Ourselves, of course!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The hype of PR - i.e how Lady Gaga got so huge from wearing silly outfits.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Watching a fight break out in Huddersfield where one very large guy knocked 3 to the floor without provocation. We had to tell a policeman what we'd seen.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
The spread of good music to open ears.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably "AIM" from our new album as we can go a bit nuts.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Snowboarding somewhere cold.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Elton John - "Rocket Man."
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To become invisible.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Loosening my diaphragm (by rotating the hips in a figure of eight motion) to get warmed up.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We write, record, produce, mix, and release everything entirely ourselves.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
No. Radio pluggers paid by bigger artists will always take preference. Radio 1 does little to support smaller, underground bands who can't afford to pay a radio plugger. BBC6 however, has been very supportive. As has John Kennedy, XFM.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Watch Sopranos, constantly.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Helen (vocals and synth) - juggling.
Dan (drums) - making beds for the tour van out of wood.
Chris (guitar) - speaking fluent spanish.