AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Bad News Bears - (your name here) EP (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=246360)

Joe DeAndrea 06/20/07 08:30 AM

Bad News Bears - (your name here) EP

Bad News Bears - (your name here) EP
Release Date: May 27th, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned

Ever wondered what it would sound like if you were to make a musical smoothie of Hellogoodbye, PlayRadioPlay!, Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer, and all the bleeps, bloops, and hi-hats that have ever been created? You might say your ears would go into a diabetic coma. Hell, some of you might not even want to know. However, what you'd get is Bad News Bears' new EP (your name here) poured right into your cup.

If anyone is familiar with my musical taste, you'd know that sugar coated, electronic pop tunes hold a place in my heart. Now, it's either that I just can't fit anymore of those in my heart, or the high-fructose embedded into each hook is just too much for my little ears to handle. Though, just because I haven't eaten this up, it doesn't mean your little sister or girlfriend won't.

The EP starts off with "Shake It, You're On Fire, two and a half minutes of claps and "woah-oh-oh"s that could last you a lifetime. The lyrics are quite cheesy (as are all the other songs), but outstanding lyrics shouldn't be something you look for in music like this anyway. Out of all six songs on the EP, I'd have to say that this would be the only one I could play over again and not get tired of, considering the remaining songs don't differ very much from one another, and I would start to get bored with it.

Another notable track would be the Panic! At The Disco-like title "Girls From Pasadena Have Always Seemed A Little Bit Nicer. Right off the bat, 15 seconds in, I could have sworn that I've heard this song before. I continue to listen and realize it's almost identical to "All Time Lows, a song featured on Hellogoodbye's latest effort Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!.

After getting through those first two songs, the rest doesn't do too much for me. Each song has generally the same feel, and if I were to put this EP on repeat, I probably wouldn't even realize if it started over. I'm all for music like this, however this was just lacking something that makes me want to put on a different powerpop band instead. A perfect way to describe this EP could be the bonus tracks included in your purchase from Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and God knows what other store your label decides to put the extra tracks with, of Hellogoodbye's new album. That being said, it doesn't mean these songs are bad, just something I would maybe play at a party or if I were in a car with girls in a red convertible with the top down during a hot Summer day, but that's it - nothing more.

Additional InformationMyspace; Order the EP

Track Listing
01. Shake It, You're On Fire
02. Girls From Pasadena Have Always Seemed A Little Bit Nicer
03. Charleston
04. Snaps Are The New Claps
05. Like I'm Supposed To Read Between The Lines...

tm decomposer 06/20/07 08:39 AM

I'll give a listen

tm decomposer 06/20/07 08:40 AM

well, I listened for 10 seconds. I couldn't stand it.

check out Lifecoach if you like this

JD LIVES 06/20/07 08:50 AM

My band played with him, forgot his name, when he was filling in bass for The Wonder Years in VA. He did everything acoustic and is an awesome dude. This is a fun listen, so what what if it sounds like something else the dude is all about having a good time.

Joe DeAndrea 06/20/07 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD LIVES (Post 6859479)
My band played with him, forgot his name, when he was filling in bass for The Wonder Years in VA. He did everything acoustic and is an awesome dude. This is a fun listen, so what what if it sounds like something else the dude is all about having a good time.

I know he's about having a good time, and that's what I said it's good for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tm decomposer (Post 6859395)
well, I listened for 10 seconds. I couldn't stand it.

check out Lifecoach if you like this

Lifecoach is awesome.

Steve Henderson 06/20/07 08:58 AM

Welcome to reviewing hell, Joe! Well done, buddy :wave:

Joe DeAndrea 06/20/07 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Henderson (Post 6859531)
Welcome to reviewing hell, Joe! Well done, buddy :wave:

:-D
Thanks.

ManicanParty49 06/20/07 09:24 AM

I love Shake It, You're On Fire. This dude is so talented, playing all the stuff himself. I will say though, that you are right in that a lot of the songs sound the same, and there's nothing really to make anything stand out.

If you're bored check out his cover of The Black Eyed Peas at his purevolume page.

http://www.purevolume.com/badnewsbears

He re-wrote like all the lyrics and just did the entire song over, with just the same music.

Blake Solomon 06/20/07 09:45 AM

Joe for Prez!

tm decomposer 06/20/07 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManicanParty49 (Post 6859699)
I love Shake It, You're On Fire. This dude is so talented, playing all the stuff himself. I will say though, that you are right in that a lot of the songs sound the same, and there's nothing really to make anything stand out.

If you're bored check out his cover of The Black Eyed Peas at his purevolume page.

http://www.purevolume.com/badnewsbears

He re-wrote like all the lyrics and just did the entire song over, with just the same music.

Actually, I'm download this hhahah

JD LIVES 06/20/07 10:34 AM

I wasn't criticizing your review at all just hoping people wouldn't check it out because of the similarities.

yoyoninjagirl 06/20/07 11:05 AM

nice review. I agree with your score.

untitled94 06/20/07 11:18 AM

i met this dude when he was filling in on bass for a band called "the wonder years" -- he was a really really nice guy. i'm not really into this so much though, not really my thing.

TBSEmoKid 06/20/07 11:56 AM

This music makes me want to kill myself.

antitrust 06/20/07 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBSEmoKid (Post 6861146)
This music makes me want to kill myself.

Oh well, you lived a good 12 years.