AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Our People Versus Yours - 09.29.11 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2466082)

Jenny Tate 10/05/11 01:33 PM

Our People Versus Yours - 09.29.11

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Our People Versus Yours

facebook: www.facebook.com/ourpeopleversusyours
myspace: www.myspace.com/ourpeopleversusyours
youtube: www.youtube.com/opvyofficial

1. How did you get your band name?
We’re fans of the band Architects, and it’s actually a lyric from the song “A portrait for the Deceased”. We started this band whilst watching them grow into one of the biggest metal acts in the UK, so they inspired us to grow ourselves.

2. How did this band get started?
Our guitarist James and founder of the band were in a metalcore band with a bunch of friends from college. They never took it too seriously and all left for University, so he decided to focus on forming a new band rather than going into higher education. He met a few people that were fans of his old band and through them met more members who were friends from school etc until eventually the line up we have now solidified.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We’re actually heavily influenced by many different bands / artists of many different genres, ranging from Michael Jackson to bands like Muse or The Prodigy. However in relation to bands that are more closely linked to our sound, I’d have to say Thrice, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Underoath, and Architects.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I think we’d love to go on tour with The Chariot - they are probably the most intense live band around right now and it would be awesome to see the crazy stuff they get up to at every show.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Unfortunately we’re all ridiculously unhealthy and will pretty much stop to get a KFC at every possible opportunity.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Like we said before, we take inspiration from a wide variety of bands and I think that makes us eclectic. We’ve never set out to sound like a particular band or be a certain genre. In fact, if you listen to our back catalogue I think you’ll find we’ve experimented with a few different sounds in the short space of 3 years.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
It would surely have to be Tiger Woods; he’s ridiculously rich, he doesn’t have an intense training regime, he gets to play golf whenever he wants, and still gets ridiculously hot women.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Firstly I think we’d have to all thank our parents. They’ve actually been more supportive than we would have ever imagined and so far none of them have told us to go get real jobs. Secondly would have to be our fans. I mean knowing that even a handful of people are listening to our songs and singing along etc is fucking amazing, but to have enough support there to win a grammy? That would be incredible.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Definitely the whole “trend” thing that seems to happen within this industry. 3-4 years ago, in the whole “Myspace” age, there were a lot of bands about that were of a certain genre and a lot of kids were dressing a certain way. Fast forward to today and the same people who were listening to that music mock it and anyone who still dares to dress that way. They then pretend they were never supporting those types of bands in the first place. Times do change so it’s inevitable, but it seems a lot of people jump on the band wagon and listen to certain types of music / bands just because it’s what’s “in.” We think music is a form of art - it doesn’t matter what genre it falls under or who’s writing it or what the band looks like. It’s all about creativity and evoking some sort of emotion - it doesn’t matter whether it’s sadness, anger, or happiness. Just as long as you personally enjoy it, why would you care what other people think?

10. Memorable tour experience?
A few months ago we were playing Scotland, and half way through our set the PA simply blew up! The promoter decided to pack up and call it a day so he took us down to the local pub, which also had karaoke. Watching a bunch of drunken Scottish OAP’s singing "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon at the top of their lungs is something we will never forget.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net has pretty much everything you could need for a music lover. It’s a great way to catch up with bands that you’ve always loved and a great way to find new ones too. And for bands like us, an awesome way to connect with our fans!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I think we’d have to agree it’s the title track of our new EP “Lights.” The song really kicks you in the teeth from the get go and as soon as we get on stage and that first chord is struck, we remember why we’re doing this.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Florida is awesome. Warm beaches, theme parks, all you can eat buffets, cheap clothes, what the hell is there not to love?

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
For me it would be The Eagles: "Hotel California." My parents listened to a lot of different music but whenever this song came on it just resonated with me for some reason and I still love it today.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Complete manipulation of time. We could go back and steal all of Kiss’ albums and be showered in fame, drugs, and hookers. That would be sweet.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
When we’re playing bigger shows we always have a little huddle beforehand to psych ourselves up. We’ve designated ourselves the different zords from the original Power Rangers show. Dan our bassist got the short straw and ended up as pterodactyl (pink ranger...)

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Most bands you see getting crazy drunk before / after shows, where as in comparison we’re pretty sombre. No we’re not straight edge, we’re just ridiculously poor. So feel free to come buy us a drink.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
In all honesty probably not. Although we do like our melodies, we’re not exactly a “radio friendly” band. We do write songs that are less aggressive and without harsh vocals, but even so the mainstream radios seem to exclusively play dancey pop or dancey indie. About the only thing that’s even slightly heavy that gets through are bands such as the Foo Fighters and….well that’s the Foo Fighters. We are hoping to get featured on more late night radio programming in the near future though.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
It sounds cliché, but our favourite past time is the band. Although we all consider it our “job” as such, when we go home we write material, we sort out shows, we try to promote the band because it’s what we love. Apart from that we just do the usual stuff like hang out and watch movies and play xbox.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Well, our vocalist Joe claims he can produce fire from his hands. He has yet to prove this to us however as he fears being kidnapped and tested on by the government. I wish I was making this up…