Silver Snakes - 11.11.11
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
1. How did you get your band name?
It just sort of came to me about 6 years ago. A few months later I realized it was also from a game show!
2. How did this band get started?
I (Alex) had been writing rock songs for years on the side while I was playing in heavier bands. Eventually it was time for something new, so I made a few calls and we had our first practice in October of 2010.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Hum, Quicksand, At the Drive-in, Engine Down, and Lack are all huge influences on this band.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Lack and At the Drive-in! It would be insane to see both of those bands every night. Also would be awesome to have Lack exposed to more people since they never quite got the attention they deserved.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
I'm Vegan and the rest of the dudes in the band are really great about letting me choose the food stops as long as they get to pick the beer stops and coffee breaks! I think it's a tie between the post show burrito and the Whole Foods salad bar!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I definitely think that right now is an awesome time for music. Rock bands are starting to come back (Balance and Composure, Thrice, O Brother) and I think that we are definitely doing something unique within the genre (as are those bands).
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Lyoto Machida! (Just not the part about drinking his own urine. That's weird).
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Doomies home cookin' and the Beagle Freedom Project.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The industry is what it is. Not sure if I would change anything about it. I'd like to say that honesty and hard work always pay off but that isn't always true.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Third Eye Blind karaoke in Seattle. "I wish I could step back from my ledge again."
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP is a great platform for discovering new music and staying up to date with what's going on in the world of independent music.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"New Light" because it's short and loud.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Flagstaff AZ or Denver CO. I'm scared of airplanes so it would need to be somewhere I could drive to.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Smashing Pumpkins. MCIS is the reason I started playing music.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power of persuasion. I only have good intentions...I promise.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Stretching and breathing in Lemon Oil. I don't know how that one started but I still get really nervous before shows and lemon oil always clears my head. I also warm up to Fiona Apple…Seriously.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I play drums in a band called DEADHEAD w/ members of Touche Amore whenever they aren't on tour. We have a few records out.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I personally haven't heard the radio in years so I have no idea! I'm a big fan of independent college radio and stuff like NPR, but as far as mainstream radio goes, beats me! Every time I turn it on they are either playing Sublime or RHCP : /
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Exploring ghost towns, Muay Thai, cooking, watching X-Men movies etc.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm way too good at playing the Kazoo.
Great band, don't sleep on them.