AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Canadian Music Round-Up (12/04/11) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2535702)

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 07:28 AM

Canadian Music Round-Up (12/04/11)

Head to the replies to read this week's Canadian Music Round-Up.

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 07:28 AM

Canadian Music Round-UpIn case you missed them during the week, here are the posts made about Canadian content:

Arkells Music Video

Feist Announces Record Store Day Split with Mastodon

Fucked Up Music Video

John K. Samson Announces Release Date for a Full-Length Solo Record

The Maddigans Lost Their Bassist in a Car Accident

Marianas Trench Chart Positions for Ever After

Plants and Animals
Release Date and Song Stream

Silverstein
Track Listing/Pre-Orders for Short Songs

Sum 41 Included in Long List of Grammy Nominations

------------------------------------------------------------
Additional News:

More bands have been announced for Pouzza Fest in Montreal. The most notable one is Less Than Jake.

The Evaporators are releasing a guest-heavy compilation titled Busy Doing Nothing on March 6.

Hands and Teeth will release Hunting Season on January 17.

The Tragedy of Mariam launched a new website.

------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Music and Videos:

Dine Alone Records is giving away a holiday sampler that features some of their Canadian artists.

Rah Rah's music video for "Breaking Hearts" can be seen here.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Tour Dates:

Down With Webster announced some Canadian dates for 2012:

Montreal - Metropolis - January 20, 2012
Sherbrooke - Centennial Theatre - January 25, 2012
Quebec City - L'Imperial - January 26, 2012
Jonoquire - Theatre Palace Arvida - January 27, 2012
St. Catherines - CAW Hall - February 2, 2012
Winnipeg - Burton Cummings Theatre - February 15, 2012
Saskatoon - The Odeon Event Centre - February 17, 2012
Fort McMurray - Nexen Field House - February 18, 2012
Nanaimo - Port Theatre - February 22, 2012
Victoria - McPherson Playhouse - February 23, 2012
Kelowna - Kelowna Community Theatre - February 24, 2012

----------------------------------------------------------------
If you’d like to submit Canadian news to AbsolutePunk.net, email me at deborah.remus@absolutepunk.net or send me a PM with “Canadian Round-Up” in the subject line. I don't check the news queue often so that's probably the best way if you want to guarantee I'll see it.

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 07:29 AM

Wasn't expecting Sum 41 to be nominated for a Grammy and I'd be excited for them if that record wasn't so incredibly disappointing. At least I know that John K. solo record will be amazing. And the line-up for Pouzza Fest keeps getting better.

brent_ster 12/04/11 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus (Post 98858152)
Wasn't expecting Sum 41 to be nominated for a Grammy and I'd be excited for them if that record wasn't so incredibly disappointing. At least I know that John K. solo record will be amazing. And the line-up for Pouzza Fest keeps getting better.

Agreed entirely on Sum 41, I didn't think they could do worse them Underclass Hero but boy they really proved me wrong. I can't believe i'm saying I hope they lose the Grammy but I am. Sucks since growing up they were one of my all time favorite bands.

So stoked for Silverstein's Short Songs though, those 3 I heard so far are incredible, band never disappoints.

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent_ster (Post 98858652)
Agreed entirely on Sum 41, I didn't think they could do worse them Underclass Hero but boy they really proved me wrong. I can't believe i'm saying I hope they lose the Grammy but I am. Sucks since growing up they were one of my all time favorite bands.

So stoked for Silverstein's Short Songs though, those 3 I heard so far are incredible, band never disappoints.

You said how I feel pretty much word for word. They were my first show ever when I was 13. Deryck was even cool enough to hang out after, I still have my signed ticket and I love all of their records except the last two. But it just goes to show how much the Grammys suck, if they can win for this, by far the worst material of their career.

I was so sad when Dave left and I've realized just how much he was the driving force that made Sum 41 great. That and Greig Nori, they haven't done anything good since he stopped managing them and producing their records, although All Killer No Filler turned out just fine with Jerry Finn instead. I feel like half the problem is Deryck refuses to hire a producer when he so obviously needs one.

brent_ster 12/04/11 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus (Post 98860072)
You said how I feel pretty much word for word. They were my first show ever when I was 13. Deryck was even cool enough to hang out after, I still have my signed ticket and I love all of their records except the last two. But it just goes to show how much the Grammys suck, if they can win for this, by far the worst material of their career.

I was so sad when Dave left and I've realized just how much he was the driving force that made Sum 41 great. That and Greig Nori, they haven't done anything good since he stopped managing them and producing their records, although All Killer No Filler turned out just fine with Jerry Finn instead. I feel like half the problem is Deryck refuses to hire a producer when he so obviously needs one.

Agree 100% there.
I cant even listen to the last 2 records all the way through way to damn hard. They have no lasting value, they may as well change there name to Deryck Whibley. The band over hyping them to shit din't help them either. I had hopes when Skumfuk(only song on Screaming Bloody Murder I can still listen to) was released that the album would be better then the previous.

Deryck needs to get off his high horse and let a producer in for sure, and get Tom Thacker more involved in writing, if they did that next album could possibly be good. They need to stop cancelling shows all the time to.

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent_ster (Post 98861832)
Agree 100% there.
I cant even listen to the last 2 records all the way through way to damn hard. They have no lasting value, they may as well change there name to Deryck Whibley. The band over hyping them to shit din't help them either. I had hopes when Skumfuk(only song on Screaming Bloody Murder I can still listen to) was released that the album would be better then the previous.

Deryck needs to get off his high horse and let a producer in for sure, and get Tom Thacker more involved in writing, if they did that next album could possibly be good. They need to stop cancelling shows all the time to.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this band should change their name, haha. I wish they'd realize the band ended when Dave left, but that's never going to happen. The overhyping, don't even get me started. I watched the DVD they released this summer and I wish I didn't because it just left a really bad taste in my mouth. Maybe Tom could save them, but I'd almost rather have another Gob record to be honest.

As for the shows, I understand Deryck has back problems and that can be pretty serious. But whenever he can play again, they never make any plans to reschedule the dates they've missed. They just book another European tour, which is stupid. The last time Sum 41 played a show in Winnipeg was in 2005. They cancelled in 2007 and it took them 4 years to reschedule this August, when they cancelled again. At this point I don't really care anymore to be honest.

brent_ster 12/04/11 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus (Post 98862992)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this band should change their name, haha. I wish they'd realize the band ended when Dave left, but that's never going to happen. The overhyping, don't even get me started. I watched the DVD they released this summer and I wish I didn't because it just left a really bad taste in my mouth. Maybe Tom could save them, but I'd almost rather have another Gob record to be honest.

As for the shows, I understand Deryck has back problems and that can be pretty serious. But whenever he can play again, they never make any plans to reschedule the dates they've missed. They just book another European tour, which is stupid. The last time Sum 41 played a show in Winnipeg was in 2005. They cancelled in 2007 and it took them 4 years to reschedule this August, when they cancelled again. At this point I don't really care anymore to be honest.

The released a DVD? I didn't even know, know I know not to waste my time on it, Thanks!
And yeah Gob>Sum 41. Muertos Vivos was excellent.

TheGuillotine 12/04/11 10:30 AM

Still haven't made my mind up about the new Mariana's Trench album - some songs I really dig, other songs I couldn't definitely live without. Maybe I just need to give it a few more spins...

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent_ster (Post 98863382)
The released a DVD? I didn't even know, know I know not to waste my time on it, Thanks!
And yeah Gob>Sum 41. Muertos Vivos was excellent.

I have a really bad habit of calling documentaries DVDs, haha. They just put a documentary online for free, but it's totally not worth your time regardless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuillotine (Post 98863972)
Still haven't made my mind up about the new Mariana's Trench album - some songs I really dig, other songs I couldn't definitely live without. Maybe I just need to give it a few more spins...

I'm the same in some ways. Overall I like the record, but I wish there was some more rock.

me7719 12/04/11 03:35 PM

Yeah I agree with all the sum 41 comments. I used to be such a big fan and have such fond memories of them. But those last 2 albums just really killed the band for me. It is clear they have lost what made sum 41, sum 41. But I definately agree it should have ended when Dave left he clearly brought a ton to the table and they have not found their sound since he left.

Deborah Remus 12/04/11 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me7719 (Post 98883642)
Yeah I agree with all the sum 41 comments. I used to be such a big fan and have such fond memories of them. But those last 2 albums just really killed the band for me. It is clear they have lost what made sum 41, sum 41. But I definately agree it should have ended when Dave left he clearly brought a ton to the table and they have not found their sound since he left.

It's nice to know I'm not the only Sum 41 fan who feels this way. I was expecting a little backlash, not that it would change my opinion, but I know they still have plenty of fans who like what they're doing now. Somehow the member rating for Screaming Bloody Murder is 85% on this site.

chelsealouanne 12/04/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus (Post 98858152)

To say I was excited finding out Sum 41 had been nominated for a Grammy, was an understatement! So proud of them. Interesting category, and for choosing Blood In My Eyes, considering it's not even a single. Really hope they win it!

SuNDaYSTaR 12/05/11 05:27 AM

I'm still shocked by the Feist/Mastodon collaboration.

brent_ster 12/05/11 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah Remus (Post 98913352)
It's nice to know I'm not the only Sum 41 fan who feels this way. I was expecting a little backlash, not that it would change my opinion, but I know they still have plenty of fans who like what they're doing now. Somehow the member rating for Screaming Bloody Murder is 85% on this site.

They must of been on some hardcore drugs while rating and listening to that album then.