AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Staff Recommendations: January 15th, 2012 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2586092)

Jason Tate 01/14/12 10:20 PM

Staff Recommendations: January 15th, 2012

Hey, it's Sunday. It's recommendation time from your faithful staff conglomerate. We've got a bunch of cool things coming up next week, so don't forget to check the website throughout. Oh, and feel free to leave your recommendations in the replies. We're looking for some new stuff to check out. Thanks for visiting this week.

Jason TateSeriously, did you think I would recommend anything except A Wilhelm Scream? Check out "Career Suicide" and "Ruiner" and "Mute Print" and don't even bother with anything else. Band is dominating my life. PS: Those are Spotify links. If you're looking for other stuff I like and am listening too, follow me on twitter or rdio. I'll return to regularly scheduled recommendations once the AWS kick has worn off.

Christian WagnerA Golden Era is getting back together. Check out "Shake It Off" on the music player on the home page. Just great pop-rock that was never discovered and runs along the lines of Anarbor. Also been jamming Amber Pacific's The Possibility And The Promise and The Morning Of's The World As We Know It. And this is the greatest music video of all time.

Kyle HuntingtonNaturally I'm going to be recommending The Maccabees' new album Given To The Wild this week. So pleased at the amount of love it's getting, let alone the fact that people are giving it a listen. If you haven't checked it out yet then stream it here and check out my review here. Feel free to follow me on Twitter to check out my thoughts in general and find other things that I'm enjoying...but this album will dominate my year already.

Jack ApplebyNow that I don't have to hear about Tebow anymore, we can start talking about how great the Clippers are? The start of the year has been a bit slow for me musically, so I've been flashing back to Foo Fighters (catch my retro review?) and Third Eye Blind, with the new Kurt Travis getting some spins as well. If you want to talk music, NBA, or social media talk, come tweet at me.

Dre Okorley Propagandhi. Need I say more? They've come a long way from the knee-slapping puns in Less Talk, More Rock. The fact is, they're homegrown (no pun intended), and they produce and release their own music, rocked out in their own space. No Trigger is another gem that happens to map the Prop influence across their musical landscape, and Tycoon will be released on February 21. Are you ready for the wreckage of both bands combined?

Blake SolomonIt didn't take long for 2012 to hit me hard. arrange's new EP Five Years with the Sun is some electro-bedroom pop virtuosity. The Maccabees' Given to the Wild is like what Foals would do if they were invited to more parties. And Driver Friendly's new video for "Ghosts" is not only visually stunning, but the song's mantra, "It's not death that scares us / It's the ghost we cannot see," is going to be one of those driving forces I use to make it through another sure-to-be ridiculous year.

Jason GardnerIt's been a week full of two things for me Enter Shikari and Childish Gambino. Besides having a hard time not spinning Camp on my commute to and from work, A Flash Flood of Colour has been finding a place in my daily listening sessions as well. Is anyone else as excited about a new Gambino mixtape as I am?

Adam PfleiderJust came home from a show inside a shed with The Reptilian, Innards and Living and Wrestling. Check them all out. Also spinning new albums by Big Sir - and the Indian Handcrafts' self-titled is going to destroy you. Sickest guitar tones I've heard in a while.

Deborah RemusSeeing the studio update from Billy Talent this week inspired me to dust off their older records. And after all these years, I can definitely say that their 2003 self-titled debut has stood the test of time. I still love "Lies" and "Prisoners of Today."

Jake Jenkins 01/14/12 10:22 PM

seriously people who dont listen to a wilhelm scream should be permabanned

as for my own recommendations, this week has been full of
The National
Jimmy Eat World
Bayside
SBTRKT
Araabmuzik

Chris Collum 01/14/12 10:42 PM

Laughatstuff 01/14/12 10:46 PM

Super excited for new album.

Jason Tate 01/14/12 10:46 PM

Wonder if we'll get a Modest Mouse album anytime soon?

WhoSaidThat? 01/14/12 10:47 PM

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201201...ts&ta b=recap

Chris Collum 01/14/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101170452)

God I hope so. Weren't they in the studio with Big Boi or something last year?

Jack Appleby 01/14/12 10:49 PM

Also, someone buy me this.

Jason Tate 01/14/12 10:50 PM

PS: Thanks for introducing me to The Maccabees Kyle.

:tanning:

Jason Tate 01/14/12 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris92 (Post 101170552)
God I hope so. Weren't they in the studio with Big Boi or something last year?

I keep hearing conflicting reports about wtf is going on with them. Hah.

Edit: Yeah, 8 months ago.

Chris Collum 01/14/12 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101170702)
I keep hearing conflicting reports about wtf is going on with them. Hah.

This was the last thing I read.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/42358-...king-together/

Kyle Huntington 01/14/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101170692)
PS: Thanks for introducing me to The Maccabees Kyle.

:tanning:

You are more than welcome, wasn't aware you'd checked it out! Managed to sneak in a listen amongst A Wilhelm Scream's domination?:-)

Jason Tate 01/14/12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Huntington (Post 101171162)
You are more than welcome, wasn't aware you'd checked it out! Managed to sneak in a listen amongst A Wilhelm Scream's domination?:-)

I think I tweeted about it early in the week.

Hahha. It was prior to me getting down to the W's in iTunes. :-p

Ryan Dennehy 01/14/12 11:06 PM

I checked out AWS based on the hype around here lately. Was not disappointed. I'll be checking out The Maccabees soon too.

As for my own humble recommendation, I enjoy:

It's a seven minute long album that's loads of fun. definitely worth it.

Kyle Huntington 01/14/12 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101171272)
I think I tweeted about it early in the week.

Hahha. It was prior to me getting down to the W's in iTunes. :-p

So awesome, really glad you enjoy it.

BusterBluth 01/14/12 11:13 PM

cubsml34 01/14/12 11:46 PM

Cannot successfully insert the album art , but ENTER SHIKARI ftw. A Flash Flood of Colour wins big.

InfiniteArms 01/14/12 11:57 PM

Anthony Green - Beautiful Things

The Maccabees - Given To The Wild

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 101170452)

I hope they have the new album they've been working on out this year. They've been writing a follow up to We Were Dead since 2008!

cubs223425 01/15/12 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusterBluth (Post 101171792)

I just watched this in its entirety over 2 or 3 days, and I was never disappointed at a single moment...until I realized I was out of episodes.

cubs223425 01/15/12 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughatstuff (Post 101170432)

Good stuff, Edison Glass. I knew I recognized the album, but had to enlist the help of Zuen to remind me who it was.

...I'll take, "Bands Who Need to Get Back Out There," for $800.

InfiniteArms 01/15/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs223425 (Post 101173522)
I just watched this in its entirety over 2 or 3 days, and I was never disappointed at a single moment...until I realized I was out of episodes.

That the problem when I finished watching it. I went on a TV downloading spree and watched 4 different series over 3 days...It's a sad life I lead.

xapplexpiex 01/15/12 12:29 AM

I've been listening to:

Pianos Become the Teeth
NOFX
Into It. Over It.
Polar Bear Club
Defeater

Can anyone give me some bands that sound like Pianos Become the Teeth and Defeater...but not La Dispute?

And I'll have to check out AWS!

RyanFTW 01/15/12 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Appleby (Post 101170562)

I think "Lob Angeles" is a way better term.

Jack Appleby 01/15/12 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanFTW (Post 101175802)
I think "Lob Angeles" is a way better term.

I've never heard that one before, but I definitely like it.

XLT917 01/15/12 01:18 AM

The new write up format for Staff Recs is really sweet.

Short-Lived 01/15/12 02:24 AM

kazuma_ootaro28 01/15/12 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XLT917 (Post 101176562)

Seconded, alongside A Wilhelm Scream and The Maccabees' new album.

Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

georgedcc 01/15/12 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xapplexpiex (Post 101174592)

Can anyone give me some bands that sound like Pianos Become the Teeth and Defeater...but not La Dispute?

And I'll have to check out AWS!

The Saddest Landscape
Touche Amore
Hot Cross
Daitro
Raein
Loma Prieta
Suis La Lune
We Were Skeletons

MusicTillIDie 01/15/12 05:46 AM

JTHomeslice 01/15/12 06:10 AM

Vidjo game edition!

The Oneups

Year 200X

Random Encounter

The motherfuckin' Minibosses

I caught all these bands at Magfest last weekend. They're all fucking awesome.The Oneups do funky, jazzy covers, Year 200X and The Minibosses are more metal, and Random Encounter are pretty rockin' with accordion. All the bands are great but I highly recommend The Oneups. So sexy.

JinxRemoving 01/15/12 06:27 AM

That Maccabees album is so good, as are A Wilhem Scream.

For me, this week has been all about:
Built to Spill
Magnetic Fields
The Head and the Heart
Scott Walker
Big K.R.I.T.

Michael1002 01/15/12 06:52 AM

Listening to these all week:
Great album, so much stuff going on

Feel bad it leaked so early:

Never listened to these guys before their ep:

Classic:

Good, without Kyle I would have never checked this out:

Entoine 01/15/12 06:57 AM

Fang Island - S/T

And Enter Shikari's new album is pretty good.

jordalsh 01/15/12 07:07 AM

It's a Brand New week for sure. I'm just wondering when we'll see some new material from them. Also Say Anything's ...Is A Real Boy and The Shins's Wincing the Night Away.

Michael1002 01/15/12 07:23 AM

No money for new games so playing this:

jawlessbody 01/15/12 08:18 AM

Quote:

I've been listening to:

Pianos Become the Teeth
NOFX
Into It. Over It.
Polar Bear Club
Defeater

I would recommend Funeral Diner and City of Caterpillar as a couple older bands, and more recent bands I would say Former Theives and Xerxes. Also take a look at Worker.

jawlessbody 01/15/12 08:25 AM

The Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Modest Mouse
Mumford and Sons

neo506 01/15/12 08:38 AM

The Mountain Goats

incognitojones 01/15/12 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Appleby (Post 101170562)

I wanted one so bad, but my brother got me a Griffin shirt, should hold me over for a while.

COREhorizon 01/15/12 09:48 AM

Digging all the improvements so far in 2012

Recommendation: Everything Elliott Smith and Modest Mouse

and of Montreal's new album and all their albums since Satanic Panic

AdamChildress 01/15/12 09:54 AM

cubs223425 01/15/12 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinclairgreen (Post 101174332)
That the problem when I finished watching it. I went on a TV downloading spree and watched 4 different series over 3 days...It's a sad life I lead.

I've already done that, haha. I went through all 3 Stargate series, Doctor Who, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Futurama, The Office, The Big Bang Theory, Dragon Ball Z, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Parks and Recreation, and I'm probably forgetting a couple of shows that are on my external HDD.

Now, I have about 3 episodes of The Office to catch up on, then I'm out of TV shows to follow and have to pick a new one. I'll probably watch the latest season of Warehouse 13, then I have to pick between one of the shows I already have downloaded--24, Battlestar Galactica, Planet Earth, Married...With Children, and Firefly. I've watched way too much shit.

cubs223425 01/15/12 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1002 (Post 101181022)
No money for new games so playing this:

It's the best Call of Duty so far anyway. MW3 is just bad, haha.

Michael1002 01/15/12 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs223425 (Post 101184292)
I've already done that, haha. I went through all 3 Stargate series, Doctor Who, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Futurama, The Office, The Big Bang Theory, Dragon Ball Z, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Parks and Recreation, and I'm probably forgetting a couple of shows that are on my external HDD.

Now, I have about 3 episodes of The Office to catch up on, then I'm out of TV shows to follow and have to pick a new one. I'll probably watch the latest season of Warehouse 13, then I have to pick between one of the shows I already have downloaded--24, Battlestar Galactica, Planet Earth, Married...With Children, and Firefly. I've watched way too much shit.

Same here. Just finished Louie season 1, heard season 2 tops it. Got American Nightmare, Nikita and Chuck waiting

InaGreendase 01/15/12 10:35 AM

Awesome, heavy hardcore with thoughtful subject matter and sick, dynamic guitar tones. FFO 108, Disembodied, Unbroken

Slept hard on this album. Great little addition to their pretty solid catalog of engaging post-metal/rock. Circling, spacey and energetic. FFO Cave In, Pelican

Picture a younger Isaac Brock fronting Explosions in the Sky. It's kinda like that. Pretty cool stuff.

Running through the series, up to here now. Shit's getting wacky.

Quote:

Is Envy and Modern Life Is War (respectively) too obvious?

boomerangslang 01/15/12 11:33 AM

With all of Jason's talk about A Wilhelm Scream, I thought they were releasing something soon. Big fan of Ruiner myself. Other than that:

(Hopefully) watching the ravens win (but not being upset if they lose).
Rose Elinor Dougall - The Distractions EP
Broadcast - The Noise Made by People

kennedyAM 01/15/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughatstuff (Post 101170432)

YES. I miss Edison Glass. I spun 'a Burn or a Shiver' earlier this week. Currently spinning this:

ablueskytragedy 01/15/12 12:30 PM

This.

cubs223425 01/15/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1002 (Post 101186062)
Same here. Just finished Louie season 1, heard season 2 tops it. Got American Nightmare, Nikita and Chuck waiting

I've had a couple of people tell me I need to watch American Horror Story, though I'm not big on horror movies (and would thereby believe a show on it won't be that great). I get suggested so many bad shows that I rarely expand beyond sci-fi and sitcoms.

Spencer Control 01/15/12 01:07 PM

That, and the whole CompiNation.