AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Gay Blades, The - Ghosts (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=264229)

Julia Conny 09/05/07 11:57 PM

Gay Blades, The - Ghosts

The Gay BladesGhosts
Released Date: August 22nd, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned

I believe there are two kinds of cock rock. On one end, there is wild riffage fit for jungle expeditions, skin-tight leather, and stadium seating. And then there is the dive bar sort. It’s a grittier experience and usually involves swashbuckling over the cheapest beer in the house, intimate howling from the leading man, and a parade of crunchy (but still just as wild) shredding. Both varieties provoke images of steamy men and sexy mic poses. When The Gay Blades start off their full-length Ghosts with “O Shot,” a sassy and abrasive guitar-centered piece, my latter version of c-rock is already starting up for a retro surf rock-like whiplash. I’m thinking it’s going to be a night for the ages ... if I can remember the next morning.

And then Ghosts takes it to a whole new level, a level TGB like to call “trash pop.” Apparently, “trash pop is what happens two keenly observant wannabe hipsters write songs the same pair couldn’t possibly pull off live and make up for their missing bass player with consistent TNT like performances and a heaping spoonful of swagger.” There is more swagger and attitude on Ghosts than most bands could handle, and this is what sets TGB apart from any other similar effort. Some songs bring on a bluesy ballad (“Prologue For The Pure Of Heart”), some songs take on poppier rock with capturing melodies (“N.H.D.N.”), and some could even fill out the score of RENT (“Dog Day Afternoon”). TGB’s in-your-face rock is always cool, always impressively arranged, and always entertaining.

For only two dudes, Clark Westfield and Puppy Mills output a HUGE product. With transitions, textures and elements to spare, these are not simple rock songs, even though they do simply rock. A song on Ghosts can hang a left turn at any moment, and none of these jumps are unfortunate. As spazzy as the album is on a whole, I am never lost in the mix. I think this has to do with guitarist/vocalist Westfield. He gives off an eager and emotional energy that matches the mood of the moment. “Robots Fuck Your Shit Up” begins self-reflecting and worried. Background vocals kick in with some kosher bah bahs towards the end, and Westfield reacts with a more confident croon-yell syndicate. When the guitars are anxious, so is Westfield. When the song is silly, so is Westfield. When the vibes are flirtatious, Westfield is unbuttoning his shirt. And when Westfield wants a sing-along on “Why Can’t I Grow A Beard,” he fucking gets one. Ghosts is a hotbed of complexities, and this is from a band that doesn’t even have a real bass player.

A common problem I have with gritty pop bands: their work is either over-produced, leaving out the good smut, or under-produced and the sound equivalent to muddy water. Ghosts is a fit arrangement of both slick and raw tones. The final straw of satisfaction comes with sharp song titles like my personal favorite, “You’re A Garbage Barge, I’m A Dream Boat.” There is an underlying (and sometimes obvious) absurdity/quirkiness on Ghosts that is part ridiculous and part brilliance. Besides being indie rock that actually rocks, The Gay Blades keep it fun. And that’s something you can take beyond the dive bar.

RIYLButch Walker, We Are The Fury, Everybody Else, The White Stripes

Julia Conny 09/06/07 12:04 AM

I can't stop listening to this band.

http://www.myspace.com/gayblades

Nathan Lint 09/06/07 02:56 AM

guys take our word for it. This is not a record you should miss.

Rich Duncan 09/06/07 07:35 AM

I was a little skeptical of this band when I had first heard about them, but I finally gave them a chance and this was surprisingly good.

the rog 09/06/07 10:23 AM

i just checked these guys out on a whim yesterday. they are FANTASTIC.

jasoneyeball 09/06/07 10:35 AM

YES! amazing.

Gumbyjag 09/06/07 11:49 AM

100% so far? jesus christ this must be good.

Julia Conny 09/06/07 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Lint (Post 7518656)
guys take our word for it. This is not a record you should miss.

Listen to Nathan. He rules at life.

Julia Conny 09/06/07 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rog (Post 7519779)
i just checked these guys out on a whim yesterday. they are FANTASTIC.

Aren't they!? I'm thrilled that other people are picking up on this awesomeness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumbyjag (Post 7520390)
100% so far? jesus christ this must be good.

Give it a try.

vandalroyale 09/06/07 12:22 PM

Very good Julia-- Impressive (writing and songplaying)

mjfitzge 09/06/07 12:36 PM

anywhere i can listen to this besides myspace? it's blocked at work.... i already checked purevolume and then gave up.... i figured someone out there is better at finding this stuff than me...

whyte39 09/06/07 12:51 PM

wow this is really good....but what is with the band name?

driftsandpulls 09/06/07 01:03 PM

This review is spot on.

bigmig22 09/06/07 02:40 PM

this is the best album of the past decade

cajuncork 09/06/07 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjfitzge (Post 7520726)
anywhere i can listen to this besides myspace? it's blocked at work.... i already checked purevolume and then gave up.... i figured someone out there is better at finding this stuff than me...

You can download one of the songs for free here....

http://fuse.tv/music/freemusic.php?id=65

Tom Good 09/06/07 04:15 PM

if julia recommends it, i'm in.

Julia Conny 09/06/07 04:41 PM

I'm so thrilled people are digging this. And if you're not ... well then, you might as well cry yourself to sleep.

driftsandpulls 09/06/07 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajuncork (Post 7521849)
You can download one of the songs for free here....

http://fuse.tv/music/freemusic.php?id=65

Clark Westfield is so handsome..

Gumbyjag 09/07/07 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia Conny (Post 7520470)
Give it a try.

Where can I find the album? It is only on tours and whatnot or is it distributed by self-release? I'd like love to check 'em out but I have two demons that haunt me: 1. Dial-up internet service 2. I live in a small town which means: a. there is only one record store with minimal availability and b. Wal-Mart is the only alternative. The Gay Blades just got added to Edgefest though so if I can make it to the show, I'll be sure to find the album.

theshareef 09/09/07 10:28 PM

Ooooooooooooooooh man. This is really awesome stuff.

allhourcymbals 12/02/07 04:59 PM

In AP Magazine the article on them recommends them if you like Say Anything and someone else.. Say Anything was enough to get me to at least listen, and they are awwwesome, I definitely plan on picking up the CD.

Keagan Ilvonen 01/12/08 09:22 PM

I ordered the cd earlier in the week, can't wait for it.

BulleTheory 09/12/08 05:30 PM

i looove this album, has a good bluesy rock sound to it....someone needs to post the lyrics to this album though

Jamos4184 12/08/08 10:58 AM

Anyone know who the guest vocalist is on "Why Can't I Grow a Beard?"

airik625 12/13/08 10:44 PM

Can't wait to listen to this.

thedrewman998 06/25/09 02:29 PM

CAN'T STOP listening to robots fuck your shit up.

bobby runs 07/19/09 02:48 PM

Saw these dudes last week and after seeing them live I'm checking the album out. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

KingJohn_654 08/09/09 01:35 AM

great great music.