AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Fucked Up Guitarist Talks SXSW/Festivals (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2675752)

Jason Tate 03/21/12 11:51 AM

Fucked Up Guitarist Talks SXSW/Festivals
 
Fucked Up guitarist Mike Haliechuk has written a piece on SXSW and similar festivals.
From the ArticleThe model established by SXSW, which has been replicated in dozens of cities all around the world, rests upon the premise that for the bands who perform, the potential for increased exposure to international music industry folks and fans is worth the sacrifices of time and money it takes to play these showcases. With Canadian Music Fest happening right now, itís a good time to ask whether this home-grown festival is intended to benefit Canadian bands, and if a music industry conference in this city is really equipped to highlight whatís great about Torontoís music community.

StephenYoung 03/21/12 12:01 PM

"Toronto might be the greatest music city in the world"

Well, there's your problem.

BottleRocket 03/21/12 12:14 PM

This is probably as good a place as any to say I love Fucked Up. David Comes to Life was awesome.

Lueda Alia 03/21/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenYoung (Post 105086262)
"Toronto might be the greatest music city in the world"

Well, there's your problem.

Tsk...

Have you ever been in Toronto?

Holly HoX! 03/21/12 01:14 PM

Fucked Up are the kings. Some of my favorite Canadians.

guitarguy211 03/21/12 01:15 PM

So...he's saying he doesn't like SXSW? I'm confused.

craigboliver 03/21/12 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lueda Alia (Post 105090152)
Tsk...

Have you ever been in Toronto?

I back this, Toronto is pretty incredible. But Americans are lazy so they don't care.

My Ricochet 03/21/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy211 (Post 105091022)
So...he's saying he doesn't like SXSW? I'm confused.

Yes he is saying showcase festivals and their sponsors don't have the every single showcasing band's best interests in mind.


I love Fucked Up. I love this dude's guitar parts and tones. But I 100% absolutely disagree with what he wrote. I call bullshit Mike!

guitarguy211 03/21/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Ricochet (Post 105107662)
Yes he is saying showcase festivals and their sponsors don't have the every single showcasing band's best interests in mind.


I love Fucked Up. I love this dude's guitar parts and tones. But I 100% absolutely disagree with what he wrote. I call bullshit Mike!


Thats what I was picking up from his piece. I disagree as well--festivals and showcases are a great way for smaller bands to get their name out in the open. You have to put in time at the bottom to reach the top (not saying his band hasn't)

HyperactiveYout 03/22/12 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy211 (Post 105108942)
Thats what I was picking up from his piece. I disagree as well--festivals and showcases are a great way for smaller bands to get their name out in the open. You have to put in time at the bottom to reach the top (not saying his band hasn't)


Not to mention they're fun as hell. Sounds like someone is jealous of the bands getting big because of these festivals.

Holly HoX! 03/22/12 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperactiveYout (Post 105129042)
Not to mention they're fun as hell. Sounds like someone is jealous of the bands getting big because of these festivals.


Fucked Up don't have to worry about "getting big." They are. Their last two albums have been up for the Polaris prize. They are probably the most well-known hardcore bands performing today. I don't know what you're talking about.

Holly HoX! 03/22/12 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigboliver (Post 105101522)
I back this, Toronto is pretty incredible. But Americans are lazy so they don't care.


1. What a colossal generalization
2. Lazy about what exactly?

SuNDaYSTaR 03/22/12 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenYoung (Post 105086262)
"Toronto might be the greatest music city in the world"

Well, there's your problem.

I don't see the problem with that.

offtheropes 03/22/12 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Ricochet (Post 105107662)
Yes he is saying showcase festivals and their sponsors don't have the every single showcasing band's best interests in mind.


I love Fucked Up. I love this dude's guitar parts and tones. But I 100% absolutely disagree with what he wrote. I call bullshit Mike!

What do you disagree with?

I think what he's saying is that these festivals are starting to become more about the "industry" and less about the artists and fans. Obviously the festivals have a ton of fan favorites (how else would they be so popular), but what's being lost is the local community flavor. Maybe it's the corporatization (is that a word?) of what used to be home grown, grassrootsy festivals. Here in L.A., I think about the Sunset Junction which has been getting a lot of flak because locals (used loosely because most people in L.A. aren't actually locals) feel as if it's slipping out of their hands and turning into something more corporate. It's an interesting debate because how do you keep a good product honest when there's a high demand for it?

Gumbyjag 03/23/12 10:29 PM

love love love Fucked Up.