AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Thursday Discussion: My Top 10 Favorite Lyrics (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2696672)

mudwayne 04/06/12 03:57 PM

The one that always resonated with me is the ataris In This Diary:

Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up
These are the best days of our lives
The only thing that matters is just following your heart
And eventually you'll finally get it right

KenneyBN 04/06/12 03:57 PM

The usual people will probably freak out at me for only selecting Brand New lyrics, but you can all suck it.
Those lyrics (and way more) have been a part of my life for longer than any other band I listen to. And no group lyrically, musically, and in every way really has effected me like they have. People call me a fanboy, but I'm really not. I turn 18 in a few weeks, and I have been listening to that band since the third grade. Do the math. Their music has been with me in literally everything I do since I can remember.

tl;dr haters suck my balls.

SpyKi 04/06/12 03:57 PM

Another one I love..

"Our youth is fleeting
Old age is just around the bend
And I can't wait to go grey
And I'll sit and wonder
Of every love that could've been
If I'd only thought of something charming to say."

Death Cab for Cutie - The Sound of Settling

oneeightytwo 04/06/12 03:57 PM

The "Beauty Supreme" section of Limousine gave me chills when I first heard it, and it is my favourite verse all of time. The lyrics, the way Jesse sings it, pure brilliance.

SpyKi 04/06/12 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILYW (Post 105961302)
Completely agree with this, Justin has a really distinct way of songwriting. It's simple and yet vastly imaginative and complex.

Yeah, I could have picked a ton from that guy.

Jason Tate 04/06/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 105961152)
I can't argue that. I listen to the "Live at Birmingham Academy" version just as much as the CD version. Sounds like Jim is about to cry Chris Carrabba style at a few points and it's just overwhelming.

Will have to go check that one out.

drummer13 04/06/12 03:59 PM

It's Never Sunny in South Philadelphia - The Wonder Years
"I don't think I love anything the way that some people love Morrissey. It's just that nothing speaks to me that way. And I, I can tell you that the world looks bleak from where I'm sitting at the bottom of the city, but, no matter where you sit, the skyline looks the same."

Elvis Said Ambition is a Dream With a V8 Engine - From First to Last
"I'm not the same kid that I used to be, but I still got the same philosophy. If growing up is giving in then count on me to count myself out."

Cleanse Me - O'Brother
"Lay me in the dirt and I will grow."

Melody, Save Me - Worthwhile
"Never could I tell you what music means to my life. It's like trying to describe a sunrise. As words bleed to skin, it shows it makes a difference. I feel alive in the sound of the melody."

Everything Must Go - Taking Back Sunday
"You quote the good book, when it's convenient. But you don't have the sense; no, you don't have the sense to tie your tangled tongue. Instead, you slash it through the mud."

Small Skeletal - Crime in Stereo
"Free cigarettes for all the kids to make small skeletons... I used to think it was sleep."

Uppers/Downers - Touche Amore
"To look up to me is to look down on everything."

Jesus - Brand New
"Jesus Christ, I'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? Because this problem is going to last more than the weekend."

Transparent Seas - Make Do and Mend
"I would fold my hands and buckle to my knees, and I would pray the sky would fall down on me. And I would stumble to the shore to be baptized in the waves, if it meant that everything we know doesn't go away, someday."

Patience - Balance & Composure
"Patience, all this patience. Tapping toes and always looking at the time. Strung out, always strung out, this time I think that I've really lost my mind."

We're Still Pioneers - Fireworks
"When I walk with my head down, I still manage to trip."

It may be a lot of quotes/songs, but I'm inspired by a lot.

guitarguy211 04/06/12 03:59 PM

So, the ultimate band for me lyrically...and in many other ways as well...is Relient K.

They write some of the most meaningful and clever songs I've ever heard.

Jason Tate 04/06/12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILYW (Post 105961302)
Completely agree with this, Justin has a really distinct way of songwriting. It's simple and yet vastly imaginative and complex.

Always been super impressed with how he turns a phrase as well ...

SincerelyMe 04/06/12 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 105960552)
Bright Eyes - Poison Oak

"And I never thought this life was possible. You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for."

This line and the other yellow bird references on that album are responsible for me falling in love with Bright Eyes.

dash64 04/06/12 04:02 PM

Being a writer I feel like I should easily be able to single out some of my favorite lyrics, but it's tough. In general Brand New, Thrice, JEW, The National, The Airborne Toxic Event, and Anberlin all have some great lyrics.

SincerelyMe 04/06/12 04:03 PM

"If it's not keeping you up nights, then what's the point?"

anamericangod 04/06/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SincerelyMe (Post 105961562)
This line and the other yellow bird references on that album are responsible for me falling in love with Bright Eyes.

That song ruins me.

ygoslo 04/06/12 04:05 PM

Everything that Jordan Dreyer has ever written, pretty much.

deathxrays 04/06/12 04:06 PM

U got the right saves the day song, wrong lyric.

To breathe in the air will be the only thing that you have
and your love will be warm nights with pockets of moonlight
spotlighting you as you drift, the actor in this play.
And you walk across the stage, take a bow, hear the applause,
and as the curtain falls, just know you did it all
the best that you knew how and you can hear them cheering now.
So let a smile out and show your teeth cause you know you lived it well.