AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (04/15/12) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2707772)

Deborah Remus 04/15/12 05:50 PM

Hip-Hop Music Round-Up (04/15/12)

Head to the replies to read this week's Hip-Hop Music Round-Up.

Deborah Remus 04/15/12 05:50 PM

Thanks to Roshan for putting this together.

Hip-Hop Music Round-UpThis week's top 10 albums in Hip-Hop and R&B, according to Billboard.com:

1. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
2. Drake - Take Care
3. Rihanna - Talk that Talk
4. Tyga - Careless World: Rise of the Last King
5. Melanie Fiona - The MF Life
6. Young Jeezy - TM103
7.Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV
8. Odd Future - The OF Tape, Vol. 2
9. The Throne - Watch the Throne
10. Anthony Hamilton - Back to Love

NEWS:

The Niceguys have dropped a video for their newest single "Overtoast" from their James Kelley album. Check out the premiere at the Red Bull USA website here.

The Weeknd has released tour dates for the USA.

The tracklisting and artwork for B.o.B.'s Strange Clouds has been released.

Lupe Fiasco has confirmed the completion of Food & Liquor 2.

Kendrick Lamar is sitting on at least 30 collaborations with Dr. Dre.

Rick Ross' next album will have production from Dr. Dre and Pharrell.

MF Doom and Akomplice Clothing have released a line of Ts.

Wiz Khalifa will drop his sophomore LP, ONIFC, on August 28th.

Lil Wayne wrote an album of love songs in prison. You can write your own jokes.

Q-Tip signed to G.O.O.D. Music.

Questlove talked to Complex Mag how the Roots re-signed to Def Jam, and how their next record will be "high energy."

Lil B will release a rock album called California Boy.

Araabmuzik's next project will be with ASAP Rocky. In related news, Rocky announced his first single for his upcoming project.

In an interview with MuveMusic - Nas talks about how it's difficult (and how he managed to) stay relevant.

Schoolboy Q's main rap inspiration is 50 Cent.

Freddie Gibbs will name his debut LP The Neck Tie Party.

Prodigy and Havoc of Mobb Deep were at a Knicks game together. Considering they had a bit of a rift, this is a step in the right direction. Even then, sources close to the group say don't expect anything.

Due to a pending lawsuit, Kanye West has changed the name and artwork of "Theraflu" to "Way too Cold."

DJ Khaled and Cool & Dre will executive produce The Game's fifth album.

Big K.R.I.T.'s first two releases will be deluxe-packaged up and set to hit retail soon.

THIS WEEK'S VIDEOS:

Music Video: Currensy - What It Look Like f. Wale [The Stoned Immaculate]

Live: Janelle Monae - I Want You Back [Jackson 5 Cover]

Interview/Freestyle: Waka Flocka Flame - Pitchfork's Selector

Music Video: J. Cole - The Sideline Story [Cole World]

Interview: Q-Tip confirms signing to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music

Freestyle: Schoolboy Q - Funkmaster Flex Freestyles

Music Video: The Niceguys - Overtoast [James Kelley]

THIS WEEK'S DOWNLOADS:

Frank Ocean - PDA [Reference Track]

Mixtape: Game - California Republic NO DJ

Mixtape: Lil B - The Basedprint 2

Portugal. the Man - All My Light [RZA Remix]

Big K.R.I.T. - Sideline [4eva and a Day EP]

Frank Ocean - Math [Unreleased]

Stream: Lil B - NYU Lecture

Theophilus London - Big Spender f. ASAP Rocky

ALBUMS DROPPING THIS WEEK:

Future - Pluto
Azealia Banks - 1991 EP

ALBUMS OUT NOW:

Monica - New Life

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributors: weworemasks
Any feedback is welcome. The best way to get at me is through my blog, www.weworemasks.com. You can keep up with us there during the week if you miss us way too much. If you have any hate mail, love notes, ideas, suggestions or submissions for next week's round up, feel free to get at Roshan at weworemasks@gmail.com or weworemasks on twitter. I also started a personal twitter (@robhatt) so get at that as well. We won't bite.

John_Barnes 04/15/12 06:43 PM

- After hearing what A$AP spit over the beat in that studio video, the final version seems underwhelming. Still a dope track though.
- May get one of those K.R.I.T. re-releases, not sure yet.
- Wish O.N.I.F.C. was coming earlier in the summer, Wiz makes perfect summer music.
- Cannot wait to hear the new A$AP single, some guy on my twitter TL got an early listen and won't shut up about it.
- Unless all 30 of those actually come out (doubt it, since they're with Dre), it was pointless to reveal that, Kendrick.

WhoSaidThat? 04/15/12 06:50 PM

While I'm apprehensive about Khaled, C&D pretty much know what's best for Game, so that should be a good sign overall. Plus, most of my favorite songs off of RED were produced by Cool and Dre.

AFSjulian 04/15/12 06:57 PM

A$AP/Araabmuzik album intrigues me, I hope to hear at least ten of those Kendrick/Dre tracks, and I'm keeping the song tagged as "Theraflu" / my avatar the same.

perceptrons 04/15/12 07:04 PM

I hope Lupe isn't calling it Food & Liquor 2 just for the name.

I hope the Q-Tip sign yields some great shit.

weworemasks 04/15/12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Barnes (Post 106396612)
- After hearing what A$AP spit over the beat in that studio video, the final version seems underwhelming. Still a dope track though.
- May get one of those K.R.I.T. re-releases, not sure yet.
- Wish O.N.I.F.C. was coming earlier in the summer, Wiz makes perfect summer music.
- Cannot wait to hear the new A$AP single, some guy on my twitter TL got an early listen and won't shut up about it.
- Unless all 30 of those actually come out (doubt it, since they're with Dre), it was pointless to reveal that, Kendrick.

-fun summer track. expected nothing more, nothing less
-i hope he's right about tightening up his sound and sticking to what he knows. kush and oj was good
-yeah i don't see even half of em coming out. but how about the recipe? fantastic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoSaidThat? (Post 106396912)
While I'm apprehensive about Khaled, C&D pretty much know what's best for Game, so that should be a good sign overall. Plus, most of my favorite songs off of RED were produced by Cool and Dre.

didn't give RED more than 2 listens, but cool and dre are solid always. and their work with the game has always been good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFSjulian (Post 106397182)
A$AP/Araabmuzik album intrigues me, I hope to hear at least ten of those Kendrick/Dre tracks, and I'm keeping the song tagged as "Theraflu" / my avatar the same.

let's face it, most of us will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perceptrons (Post 106397532)
I hope Lupe isn't calling it Food & Liquor 2 just for the name.

I hope the Q-Tip sign yields some great shit.

- doubt lupe's F+L2 will be anything like the first. don't see him coming back from this pseudo-punk bullshit.
- can't wait to hear anything from the last zulu

WhoSaidThat? 04/15/12 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weworemasks (Post 106403872)
-fun summer track. expected nothing more, nothing less
-i hope he's right about tightening up his sound and sticking to what he knows. kush and oj was good
-yeah i don't see even half of em coming out. but how about the recipe? fantastic!

didn't give RED more than 2 listens, but cool and dre are solid always. and their work with the game has always been good.

let's face it, most of us will.

- doubt lupe's F+L2 will be anything like the first. don't see him coming back from this pseudo-punk bullshit.
- can't wait to hear anything from the last zulu

Funny, I played most of R.E.D. a little while ago, and it's actually quite a bit better than I remember. Still his worst by far, and there's a minimum six too many throwaways (at least three that make Touchdown, the only filler song off LAX imo, sound like the best song ever), and the Dre shit is unnecessary, but I wouldn't really rate it as low now. Maybe the same'll happen to you. :shrug:

desiguerilla 04/16/12 04:27 AM

I know this kind of just happened but I personally think this following video changed hip hop concert production forever. What Dr. Dre and Snoop pulled off was absolutely insane.

erick620 04/16/12 06:14 AM

I hope Sons of Paterson makes that list soon

CTRL+ALT+DANCE 04/16/12 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiguerilla (Post 106413052)
I know this kind of just happened but I personally think this following video changed hip hop concert production forever. What Dr. Dre and Snoop pulled off was absolutely insane.

I second this.
It looks so realistic.

weworemasks 04/16/12 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erick620 (Post 106414412)
I hope Sons of Paterson makes that list soon

wanna do me a favor and e-mail it to the e-mail in the post? i'm at work, can't do much about that here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiguerilla (Post 106413052)

great stuff, but a little too eerie. i have no doubts that what 2pac would perform like in 2012.

erick620 04/17/12 06:27 PM

[quote=weworemasks;106428802]wanna do me a favor and e-mail it to the e-mail in the post? i'm at work, can't do much about that here.

Ahh, I meant it in a way that was like, "I wish we were good enough to be posted here."
But we are working on an album that will be out within the next month or two!
Music | Facebook