AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Staff Recommendations: April 22nd, 2012 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2717862)

Blake Solomon 04/22/12 05:38 AM

Staff Recommendations: April 22nd, 2012

If you're anything like me, and if you are, lucky you, it's been one of those weeks where things seem to happen at you. Kind of like we're in a firing squad and all the bullies have tied us to a lightpost and the tomatoes and hard-boiled eggs are just coming full speed ahead no matter what. Because that was such a happy, and most importantly, smart analogy, I'll end on a high note and just get to the recommendations
BlakeOther than still being obsessed with All Get Out, I've really been enjoying Caravels' 2010 album Floorboards. It's one of those scream-y, angst-y, post rock-y albums Adam P always likes. Also, the split by Citizen and Turnover is solid. Especially the acoustic renditions of previously released tracks like "I Still Shut My Eyes." Both of these bands are really aware of what makes pop-punk so enthralling in 2012: a smidge of realness and lots of emotional force.

Kyle HuntingtonI've been lucky enough to have the new album from The Cribs, In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull, for a little while now and I've really started to fall in love with it the past couple of weeks. It sounds like the first couple of albums (that real raw energy, a band that sounds more punk than most bands who claim that title or kind of ethic do) mixed with the subtleties and layers that Ignore The Ignorant and Johnny Marr brought to the band. Look out for it in early May and check out the awesome lead single "Come On Be A No-One" here now or watch the video below.

Alex DiVincenzoThe Saddest Landscape's discography

Ryan GardnerGreen Day's American Idiot - one of my favorite records ever - and Armor For Sleep's What To Do When You Are Dead

Andy BiddulphOne of my favourite bands are bringing out a new album on Monday. Straight Linesí Freaks Like Us is a brilliant half-hour of angular, driving pop-rock with more hooks than a Disney convention. Check out their new track "Commitments" here. Also, I know I rave about UK music an awful lot, but bands like Twin Atlantic and Lower Than Atlantis make it impossible not to. I caught both live this week and they were supreme. Itís impossible to overstate how much youíre missing out if you havenít heard their 2011 albums Free and World Record.

Deborah RemusDefinitely see Frank Turner live if you get the chance. He killed it opening for Joel Plaskett last night and at the Winnipeg Folk Festival Music Store last afternoon.

Dre OkoI agree with Blake's suggestion to listen to the Citizen and Turnover split. Turnover has especially come a long way and I couldn't be happier for both bands. Cancer Bats' latest release, Dead Set on Living, is a lot more consistent than anything they've ever written. Though they're known as the "poor man's ETID", its enjoyable enough to stand on its own. Also, be sure to check out the Enter Shikari / letlive. tour. You won't regret it. And finally, the Swellers have surprised me with their new track, "Vehicle City Blues", that has a very Propagandhi-esque sound to it. Can't wait to see what's in store.

jordalsh 04/22/12 05:54 AM

finally getting into The Swellers so I've been spinning Good For Me a bunch. Also just got Keep This To Yourself by Transit which is really good.

Kyle Huntington 04/22/12 06:00 AM

BusterBluth 04/22/12 06:11 AM

Grow Up, Dude by You Blew It!

WeWereGiants 04/22/12 06:31 AM

Despite the drama I have re-fallen in love with Work In Progress by The Dangerous Summer, I just can't stop listening.

I The Mighty's - Karma Never Sleeps
and Punchline's discography

JinxRemoving 04/22/12 06:37 AM

Jack White - Blunderbuss
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation & Scrambles

Jeff_Ryan 04/22/12 06:44 AM

My Week

Steve Alcala 04/22/12 06:45 AM

Started playing The Color Spectrum over again and I forgot just how brilliant it is.

Karma Never Sleeps by I, The Mighty

"I've Lost My Way Back Down" by Night Verses

"Up in the Air" by Tilian Pearson

Litost by Ambassadors. Guys were so nice an put on such a show when they were here.

uglystar03 04/22/12 06:58 AM

The Forecast - Everybody Left (personal AOTY contender!)
Jimmy Eat World - Invented
Deer Leap/The World Is... - Are Here To Help

MADSTA 04/22/12 07:09 AM

Josh Garrels - Love & War & The Sea In Between
Dr. Dre - 2001

InaGreendase 04/22/12 07:14 AM

cwhit412 04/22/12 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buhbee94 (Post 106755132)
Started playing The Color Spectrum over again and I forgot just how brilliant it is.

Karma Never Sleeps by I, The Mighty

"I've Lost My Way Back Down" by Night Verses

"Up in the Air" by Tilian Pearson

Litost by Ambassadors. Guys were so nice an put on such a show when they were here.

Love Ambassadors. one of my least prepared interviews (due to a general lack of knowledge of the band and some misunderstanding about a release they had put out) had some of the best answers i've ever gotten. very, very intelligent guys.

_veges_ 04/22/12 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InaGreendase (Post 106755692)

What's this?

Steve Alcala 04/22/12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwhit412 (Post 106755702)
Love Ambassadors. one of my least prepared interviews (due to a general lack of knowledge of the band and some misunderstanding about a release they had put out) had some of the best answers i've ever gotten. very, very intelligent guys.

Yeah and they were super passionate dudes when I talked to them after the show. Really down to earth guys who make awesome music

Thedalylife 04/22/12 07:33 AM