AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2720872)

Harris73 04/24/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106878792)
How the fuck does jangly make it into two reviews, both on the same album? No one says that.

But yeah, it's cool. I just thought it was odd how similar they were. I like your reviews and have thought many previous ones were original. I believe you that you didn't plagiarize.

It wasn't really the content or the point that it was a verbatim copy. Other than the first paragraph, they just seem very similar in structure, order, style, the same lyrics were quoted on more than one song, same 3 songs were highlighted in the same manner, same adjectives chosen to describe each song, and so on. Just seemed too much to be coincidental but whatever. If you read it closely enough, it looks like his review was just a re-write of the other review from The Music The Message. Even the description of the first song leading into the second song and the way it's described, or the description of "the Fifities" with the guitar "noodles" seemed a little too close. I just think it's kind of funny, but who cares, looks like there are a bunch of similar reviews. If Drew says they are his own thoughts, than good review. Either way, I dig the record.

xthisisdisaster 04/24/12 02:25 PM

Twinkle daddies, still gets me. Some great music under that ''genre'', though.

Harris73 04/24/12 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106878552)
these aren't the only two reviews who probably have a reference to a VFW or KoC hall, because a lot of us have been in that moment. I wasn't really using that as a way to describe that song, more so summing up the feeling of the entire album.

guess AltPress also plagiarized:
"Jangly guitars lead to soft-spoken vocals and the resulting outburst of “Pinball House.” You Blew It! then proceed to take the late-’90s emo formula"

and

"...bring to mind hot, sweaty, echoing community halls with all the lights on, 50 kids with fists in the air and lots of bodies piling atop each other at the end of each song. "

If you say they are your thoughts, than good review. I wasn't saying it was a verbatim copy and I just said it "appears" to be copy and it was more in reference to the overall layout and content of the review (not an exact replica). Other than the first paragraph, they just seem very similar in structure, order, style, the same lyrics were quoted on more than one song, same 3 songs were highlighted in the same manner, same adjectives chosen to describe each song, and so on. Just seemed too much to be coincidental but whatever. If you read it closely enough, it looks like the review was just a re-write of the other review from The Music The Message with some additions and order changes. Even the description of the first song leading into the second song and the way it's described, or the description of "the Fifities" with the guitar "noodles" seemed a little too close. I just think it's kind of funny, but who cares, looks like there are a bunch of similar reviews out there like you said. If you say they are your own thoughts, than good review. I just happen to read the other the other day and yours felt too familiar. Either way, I dig the record and good job!

KenneyBN 04/24/12 02:34 PM

This just might be my favorite 2012 release thus far.

Mochem 04/24/12 03:21 PM

Gave it a listen the other day. Nothing really stood out to me. Kinda blends in with all the other music of this style that's out there right now. I used to listen a couple songs from their previous EP/album, but nothing here really caught my interest.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefalcone777 (Post 106865162)
This album rules, but the production is nowhere near a 9. Maybe 6 or 7. The first version of "Terry v Tori" on the topshelf comp ripped compared the album version.

technically, I'm not rating the production as a 9. I just rate the album as a whole as a 9 and just put 9 in all the categories so that it all comes out as a 9/10. This is how the new site will operate, it'll just have a score and no more categories.

Thomas Nassiff 04/24/12 06:23 PM

lol plagiarism kid. this delivered.

Blake Solomon 04/24/12 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106877892)
I don't know. I just find it kind of odd that they're so similar. The thing that really made me believe it was plagiarized was this:

Him:
There is a definite sense of nostalgia in the music that brings me back to my days spent at packed VFW halls, just 100 or so sweaty kids, singing along to every word of every song.

You:
The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out.


There were a lot of other things I found similar but this one is just too similar. It's almost like you wanted to get the same point across but just changed and added a few words. And both are in reference to the same song. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I don't know.

this is just very silly.

Sanzen 04/24/12 06:49 PM

Everyone's looking at the plagiarism issue, when it's clear that the reason they're similar is because Drew is writing reviews for other websites. Whore.

Archael 04/24/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanzen (Post 106897092)
Everyone's looking at the plagiarism issue, when it's clear that the reason they're similar is because Drew is writing reviews for other websites. Whore.

Lolololol. Isn't he?

Quijiba 04/24/12 09:36 PM

pretty great listen this is

areyoukittenme? 04/24/12 09:49 PM

So proud to be from Florida right now. This is such a good record. And it's goofy and stupid, but the term "twinkle daddies" is just hilarious to me.

BusterBluth 04/24/12 09:57 PM

I love this so much

topshelfsquad 04/25/12 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Slight (Post 106880822)
yeah they're probably similar because they're reviews about the same exact album

Haha, exactly. THIS.

topshelfsquad 04/25/12 12:28 AM

Also, "Twinkle Daddies", "The Wave"... this shit starts as inside jokes and blossoms into things people take WAY WAY WAAAAAY too seriously and nevvvver should be.