AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2720872)

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 01:17 AM

You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude

You Blew It!Grow Up, Dude
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Record Label: Topshelf

“Ah, so you're into that whole twinkle daddies thing.”

Huh?

“You know, this style of music that's overtaking local basements and garages over the nation.”

Uh, come again?

This is a conversation I had with someone on Facebook after gushing about You Blew It!'s Topshelf debut Grow Up, Dude. Last.fm informs that it's “Those emo-ish bands with the twinkly guitars and the hoarse vocals. Twinkle daddies.” Okay, I guess that makes sense. While I insist that the name for this genre of music is incredibly stupid, the music coming forth is definitely not. The genre has churned out some great under appreciated acts such as Grown Ups, Snowing, and The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die, but it's the Orlando, Florida quartet who seem poised to break out in 2012.

The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out. The music on Grow Up, Dude is right away inviting, giving off a feeling that's both accessible and intimate. The fantastic “Terry V. Tori” kicks off with vocalist Tanner Jones declaring, “I'm usually not one to pick fights, but you really crossed the line,” as the rest of the band chimes in with dual vocal harmonies, always-active drumming, and incredibly catchy melodies.

The versatility heard within Grow Up, Dude is one of the album's biggest strengths. One of the many standout tracks is the mid-tempo jam that is “Medal of Honor.” Timothy Flynn's work behind the kit is the driving force behind the powerful song, as Jones belts out, “I’m not a fuckin' trophy, but to you I might as well be.” Throughout the album, you can tell that the band has drawn a lot of influence from the late 90s/early 00s scene that consisted of American Football, Cap'n Jazz, and The Get Up Kids. The layered quaint guitar strums and lively bass line set the tone for the slow burning “The Fifties." Along with its smooth vocal delivery, tracks like this one fit in perfectly with the above comparisons.

You Blew It! does a fantastic job of bringing back memories without sounding contrived or a carbon copy of the past. While they come from the school of Owen and The Get Up Kids, these Floridians also unleash an aggressiveness that's also heard in bands like The Wonder Years and Into It. Over it. For example, one listen to “I'm Bill Paxton” and it's not too far-fetched to think that You Blew It! could one day be on the bill of the next Glamour Kills tour.

What makes You Blew It! so endearing is just how real they are. There's nothing fake or insincere with them or this record, as it contains that DIY charm. The raw imperfection – the rough guitar chords, the casual off note – gives the record's twelve tracks a devil-may-care attitude that is at once relatable. It's equal parts calm and chaotic, as Grow Up, Dude is certain to bring back memories as well as create them. And if that's what being a twinkle daddy is all about, then I'm all for it. Dumb name and all.

8.5/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Grow Up, Dude
2. Pinball House
3. The One With David
4. Terry V. Tori
5. Medal Of Honor
6. The One With Marc
7. I Am, I'm Trying
8. The Fifties
9. Good For Bond, Bad For You
10. I'm Bill Paxton
11. A Noble Black Eye
12. There's Nothing I Love More Than Baseball
Produced by: Derek Perry

You Blew It! is:
Timothy Flynn
Tanner Jones
Andy Anaya
Nicholas Inman

Stream the album here

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Archael 04/24/12 04:06 AM

Really good album.

fly_guy 04/24/12 04:10 AM

This album is great, definitely up there so far for this year

Dre Okorley 04/24/12 04:20 AM

Good review, I especially like the 1st paragraph off the intro. Still not sure how I feel about this band yet.

mattisrawrock 04/24/12 04:35 AM

Good stuff and its streaming in its entirety.

everyone should definitely check it out

sjb2k1 04/24/12 06:22 AM

album is so, so good.

Harris73 04/24/12 06:45 AM

This review appears to be blatant plagiarism of the review that was posted last week on The Music The Message. It was also posted on You Blew It's facebook page over the weekend and quotes were pulled from it by Earshot media (their PR company). Come on dude, have any thoughts of your own?

http://www.themusicthemessage.com/?r...t-grow-up-dude

Clintoto 04/24/12 06:46 AM

This band funking rules

Dre Okorley 04/24/12 06:46 AM

Oh...

cwhit412 04/24/12 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris73 (Post 106863022)
This review appears to be blatant plagiarism of the review that was posted last week on The Music The Message. It was also posted on You Blew It's facebook page over the weekend and quotes were pulled from it by Earshot media (their PR company). Come on dude, have any thoughts of your own?

Yeah, don't see it. And I was even hoping I'd find something in there.

davefalcone777 04/24/12 07:51 AM

This album rules, but the production is nowhere near a 9. Maybe 6 or 7. The first version of "Terry v Tori" on the topshelf comp ripped compared the album version.

cubsml34 04/24/12 07:52 AM

Album is very good, will be giving this repeat listens.

honestykills 04/24/12 07:54 AM

I think I just found my new favorite band.

Hindenburg 04/24/12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefalcone777 (Post 106865162)
This album rules, but the production is nowhere near a 9. Maybe 6 or 7. The first version of "Terry v Tori" on the topshelf comp ripped compared the album version.

my thoughts exactly! i was assuming the record would be the same as that comp version, instead it sounds sort of "demo quality"

brandon_260 04/24/12 08:32 AM

Such an amazing record. The Fifties is definitely my standout at the moment.

davefalcone777 04/24/12 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 106866972)
Such an amazing record. The Fifties is definitely my standout at the moment.

100% THIS.

troubledbyinsects 04/24/12 10:12 AM

this album is just... ahhhh!!!!

Greg.Kushlan 04/24/12 11:26 AM

I listened to the first couple of tracks on the player, and decided to order it. It sounds really good and I can't wait to get my download for it.

Jaytothesyg 04/24/12 11:38 AM

Gotta check this out. Not always into "twinkle daddies" thing but I'll check it out

Cool that Derek Perry produced it!

Siren 04/24/12 11:41 AM

I didn't want to believe him but this does to be quite plagiarized.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris73 (Post 106863022)

ah you missed a chance for the ultimate burn, should have put "grow up, dude, have any thoughts of your own?"

anyways, never heard of that site and I don't even read reviews, I barely have time to read the reviews on the very site I write for. It's probably coincidental as those comparisons are incredibly easy to make and probably have been made by other publications.

Nearly 300 reviews on this site, and today was the day I decided to plagiarize. yuuuup

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106876732)
I didn't want to believe him but this does to be quite plagiarized.

guess AltPress plagiarized too! http://www.altpress.com/reviews/entr...t_grow_up_dude

coma 04/24/12 11:48 AM

Hahahah. Awesome.

Siren 04/24/12 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106877132)

I don't know. I just find it kind of odd that they're so similar. The thing that really made me believe it was plagiarized was this:

Him:
There is a definite sense of nostalgia in the music that brings me back to my days spent at packed VFW halls, just 100 or so sweaty kids, singing along to every word of every song.

You:
The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out.

There were a lot of other things I found similar but this one is just too similar. It's almost like you wanted to get the same point across but just changed and added a few words. And both are in reference to the same song. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I don't know.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106877892)
I don't know. I just find it kind of odd that they're so similar. The thing that really made me believe it was plagiarized was this:

Him:
There is a definite sense of nostalgia in the music that brings me back to my days spent at packed VFW halls, just 100 or so sweaty kids, singing along to every word of every song.

You:
The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out.

There were a lot of other things I found similar but this one is just too similar. It's almost like you wanted to get the same point across but just changed and added a few words. And both are in reference to the same song. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I don't know.

these aren't the only two reviews who probably have a reference to a VFW or KoC hall, because a lot of us have been in that moment. I wasn't really using that as a way to describe that song, more so summing up the feeling of the entire album.

guess AltPress also plagiarized:
"Jangly guitars lead to soft-spoken vocals and the resulting outburst of “Pinball House.” You Blew It! then proceed to take the late-’90s emo formula"

and

"...bring to mind hot, sweaty, echoing community halls with all the lights on, 50 kids with fists in the air and lots of bodies piling atop each other at the end of each song. "

Siren 04/24/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106878552)
these aren't the only two reviews who probably have a reference to a VFW or KoC hall, because a lot of us have been in that moment. I wasn't really using that as a way to describe that song, more so summing up the feeling of the entire album.

"Jangly guitars lead to soft-spoken vocals and the resulting outburst of “Pinball House.” You Blew It! then proceed to take the late-’90s emo formula"

and

"...bring to mind hot, sweaty, echoing community halls with all the lights on, 50 kids with fists in the air and lots of bodies piling atop each other at the end of each song. "

How the fuck does jangly make it into two reviews, both on the same album? No one says that.

But yeah, it's cool. I just thought it was odd how similar they were. I like your reviews and have thought many previous ones were original. I believe you that you didn't plagiarize.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106878792)
How the fuck does jangly make it into two reviews, both on the same album? No one says that.

But yeah, it's cool. I just thought it was odd how similar they were. I like your reviews and have thought many previous ones were original. I believe you that you didn't plagiarize.

I dunno, jangly is a term that I've used on plenty of other views, it's not that uncommon haha.

troubledbyinsects 04/24/12 12:28 PM

lol

Siren 04/24/12 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Slight (Post 106879702)
only 3 people use the word "jangly" Drew, you fucking plagarizer

Drew didn't even use the word jangly. Anyway, you're being ridiculous. He may have not plagiarized, but you can't deny that they are similar.

runningohfive 04/24/12 12:45 PM

Need to listen to this.

Harris73 04/24/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106878792)

It wasn't really the content or the point that it was a verbatim copy. Other than the first paragraph, they just seem very similar in structure, order, style, the same lyrics were quoted on more than one song, same 3 songs were highlighted in the same manner, same adjectives chosen to describe each song, and so on. Just seemed too much to be coincidental but whatever. If you read it closely enough, it looks like his review was just a re-write of the other review from The Music The Message. Even the description of the first song leading into the second song and the way it's described, or the description of "the Fifities" with the guitar "noodles" seemed a little too close. I just think it's kind of funny, but who cares, looks like there are a bunch of similar reviews. If Drew says they are his own thoughts, than good review. Either way, I dig the record.

xthisisdisaster 04/24/12 01:25 PM

Twinkle daddies, still gets me. Some great music under that ''genre'', though.

Harris73 04/24/12 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106878552)

and

If you say they are your thoughts, than good review. I wasn't saying it was a verbatim copy and I just said it "appears" to be copy and it was more in reference to the overall layout and content of the review (not an exact replica). Other than the first paragraph, they just seem very similar in structure, order, style, the same lyrics were quoted on more than one song, same 3 songs were highlighted in the same manner, same adjectives chosen to describe each song, and so on. Just seemed too much to be coincidental but whatever. If you read it closely enough, it looks like the review was just a re-write of the other review from The Music The Message with some additions and order changes. Even the description of the first song leading into the second song and the way it's described, or the description of "the Fifities" with the guitar "noodles" seemed a little too close. I just think it's kind of funny, but who cares, looks like there are a bunch of similar reviews out there like you said. If you say they are your own thoughts, than good review. I just happen to read the other the other day and yours felt too familiar. Either way, I dig the record and good job!

KenneyBN 04/24/12 01:34 PM

This just might be my favorite 2012 release thus far.

Mochem 04/24/12 02:21 PM

Gave it a listen the other day. Nothing really stood out to me. Kinda blends in with all the other music of this style that's out there right now. I used to listen a couple songs from their previous EP/album, but nothing here really caught my interest.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefalcone777 (Post 106865162)

technically, I'm not rating the production as a 9. I just rate the album as a whole as a 9 and just put 9 in all the categories so that it all comes out as a 9/10. This is how the new site will operate, it'll just have a score and no more categories.

Thomas Nassiff 04/24/12 05:23 PM

lol plagiarism kid. this delivered.

Blake Solomon 04/24/12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106877892)

Him:

You:

this is just very silly.

Sanzen 04/24/12 05:49 PM

Everyone's looking at the plagiarism issue, when it's clear that the reason they're similar is because Drew is writing reviews for other websites. Whore.

Archael 04/24/12 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanzen (Post 106897092)
Everyone's looking at the plagiarism issue, when it's clear that the reason they're similar is because Drew is writing reviews for other websites. Whore.

Lolololol. Isn't he?

Quijiba 04/24/12 08:36 PM

pretty great listen this is

areyoukittenme? 04/24/12 08:49 PM

So proud to be from Florida right now. This is such a good record. And it's goofy and stupid, but the term "twinkle daddies" is just hilarious to me.

BusterBluth 04/24/12 08:57 PM

I love this so much

topshelfsquad 04/24/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Slight (Post 106880822)
yeah they're probably similar because they're reviews about the same exact album

Haha, exactly. THIS.

topshelfsquad 04/24/12 11:28 PM

Also, "Twinkle Daddies", "The Wave"... this shit starts as inside jokes and blossoms into things people take WAY WAY WAAAAAY too seriously and nevvvver should be.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelfsquad (Post 106918882)
Also, "Twinkle Daddies", "The Wave"... this shit starts as inside jokes and blossoms into things people take WAY WAY WAAAAAY too seriously and nevvvver should be.

but I live a super serious life!!!

topshelfsquad 04/24/12 11:29 PM

Oh, And Thanks So Much, Drew! We're Thrilled That You Gave The Record Such A Great Authentic, Original, And Non-derivative Write-up!!!! (seriously)

topshelfsquad 04/24/12 11:30 PM

ahaha, I love that you guys have a filter to change text in all caps to normal text. Just know that last post is supposed to be in A L L C A P S , B A B Y.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelfsquad (Post 106918952)
Oh, And Thanks So Much, Drew! We're Thrilled That You Gave The Record Such A Great Authentic, Original, And Non-derivative Write-up!!!! (seriously)

you are welcome! I am patiently awaiting for my vinyl pre-order to show up. The two week delay is a bummer but I know it'll be worth it.

xBranx 04/25/12 05:53 AM

I like this record and this band. They might not be breaking ground but they sound like they give a fuck about what they're playing and how they sound. I can respect that.