AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Motion City Soundtrack Talk New Album (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2721452)

Jason Tate 04/24/12 09:47 AM

Motion City Soundtrack Talk New Album

Motion City Soundtrack talk with MTV about their new album. You should be excited about this one -- it's MCS doing what they do best and not holding back.
From the ArticleWithout going into gory details, we spent a sixth of the budget that we had on the last record and like twice the time in this studio in Minneapolis, and we just had a blast with no sort of people to answer to or anything. We just wrote songs. We did it all on our own dime. Itís kind of thrilling and scary to know that youíre responsible for everything, financially as well as artistically.

herestoyoufla 04/24/12 09:50 AM

Bands seem to be doing this much more often now. I like it.

me7719 04/24/12 09:51 AM

Cant wait, possibly my most anticipated of this year.

Turkeylegz 04/24/12 09:52 AM

Excited.
Hope this isn't like The Used with their latest record that they had "complete artistic control" over.
That being said, Motion City has never let me down and I'm excited.

icynova 04/24/12 09:56 AM

Already like the first song off it. Can't wait.

irthesteve 04/24/12 09:59 AM

Do they ever hold back? I don't think so.

blimpcityhero11 04/24/12 10:10 AM

Jason, have you heard any songs from the new album other than "True Romance?"

Xiegfried 04/24/12 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkeylegz (Post 106870922)
Excited.
Hope this isn't like The Used with their latest record that they had "complete artistic control" over.
That being said, Motion City has never let me down and I'm excited.

I think the problem with The Used was that they lacked complete control over their last album and there was quite a gap between Lies for the Liars and Vulnerable. Sure, Vulnerable wasn't as good as their first two albums, but it was a decent return to form and a nice setup for their next album.

With MCS, I feel like they've never really had an issue with lacking creative control. The interview seems to hint that they were just more structured with My Dinosaur Life and got to be more laid back with Go. True Romance seems to promise some good things to come and I don't think MCS can ever disappoint.

ACA 04/24/12 10:35 AM

Sometimes, a producer/label kicking a band into shape is a good thing. I don't think the countless examples of this need to be posted. Sometimes, it's a bad thing. Again, the examples are countless.

It makes a fun news story ("You should be excited about this one -- it's MCS doing what they do best and not holding back."), but that's all. I think.

Hoping this kicks as much ass as any of their other albums.. if it does, it's an AOTY contender in a year that hasn't been close to last year just yet.

brent_ster 04/24/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACA (Post 106873032)
Sometimes, a producer/label kicking a band into shape is a good thing. I don't think the countless examples of this need to be posted. Sometimes, it's a bad thing. Again, the examples are countless.

It makes a fun news story ("You should be excited about this one -- it's MCS doing what they do best and not holding back."), but that's all. I think.

Hoping this kicks as much ass as any of their other albums.. if it does, it's an AOTY contender in a year that hasn't been close to last year just yet.

-ACA

popdisaster00 04/24/12 10:49 AM

Suck it, Tate. I wanna hear this.

zachff 04/24/12 10:51 AM

Already pre-ordered. Can't come soon enough.

Ailite 04/24/12 11:11 AM

I can't wait.

LGFUAD21 04/24/12 11:14 AM

This has to be my most anticipated release of the year by a long way though. Apart from Say Anything.

I've been real unlucky recently though. Every album I've been excited about enough to buy, without properly hearing first has pretty much, not necessarily let me down, but failed to make an impact. Hope MCS can break the curse of 2012 for me.

Rysker6 04/24/12 11:15 AM

not holding back = so more songs about getting fucked up and dying. I, am, THERE!