Sharks Never Sleep - 05.01.12
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
Sharks Never Sleep
Kevin Kalnasy (guitar/vocals) answered all of these questions.
1. How did you get your band name?
Most species of sharks need to swim, in order to swish water through their gills, taking oxygen out of the water. So, if they weren't constantly moving, they'd die of asphyxiation. So, in essence, sharks are always moving, never sleeping. We think that rules.
2. How did this band get started?
All three of the dudes in this band had different band situations, going on. We just got together, accidentally wrote some cool songs, and recorded them. I mean, it only took a year, almost. But, we have an EP now, and another one on the way. It was definitely more of a side-project/fun band, that's becoming more of a priority, as we churn out more songs.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Personally, I never would've picked up a guitar, if it wasn't for Green Day and NOFX. However, those bands don't have an incredibly strong impact on this band, as a whole. A lot of the midwest pop-punk bands influence us pretty hard. The raw, basic emotion present in those bands music is something that we've tried to impart, onto our listeners. The same can be said about plethora of amazing hardcore bands out there. Basically, this band is influenced by bands that know how to get their emotions out, via music. I think that's the coolest thing a musician can pull off.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
This wouldn't be on the same bill. I would love to tour with Nirvana, Dangers, Off With Their Heads, and The Dopamines.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Salt & vinegar potato chips, and cream soda. Obviously, regional foods are a must, as well.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we're solid, honest, pop-punk music.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Whatever mafioso hustled/cheated us into winning a Grammy.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don't think there's any way the music industry could be simple. It's up to bands to try to hustle their way into it.
10. Memorable tour experience?
In Cleveland, buying 10 amazing hardcore 7-inches off of some coke-out, ex-straight edge kid, for $9. Then, later on, squatting in a vacant apartment, for the night.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A very welcoming news site, that treats all punk-related genres with respect and fairness.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
If we're talking about Sharks Never Sleep songs, my favorite song to play is F.F.A. If we're talking about other people's stuff, I frequently find myself playing along to Dangers' "Anger" LP. Great stuff.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beatles and Alanis Morissette. My family all listened to The Beatles, regularly. My mom was always listening to that power-rock stuff that was big, in the 90's.
15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
The other dudes in my band drink, a lot. So, I mean, they get pretty loose before we play. It's fun.
16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
The tentative titles, for most of our songs, are named after what band we feel we ripped off.
17. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm a full-time student, and play a lot of video games.
18. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can do the worm. I can do a few impressions. I can write mediocre pop-punk songs.
Just listened to a couple songs... the music is alright, but I have respect for them mostly because of the Clerks soundbit in F.F.A.
Kevin is awesome. It's great to see a good friends music get noticed, even if he spells Niklas Kronwall wrong...