AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  The Old-Timers - 07.17.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2824132)

Jeremy Aaron 07/17/12 08:49 PM

The Old-Timers - 07.17.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Old-Timers

http://www.facebook.com/theoldtimers
http://theold-timers.bandcamp.com/
http://www.thumperpunkrecords.com/
theoldtimerspunk@gmail.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Don: Gonna let Dave answer this mostly, but part of it is that we love the old foundational truths of the Gospel, and I for one ain't a youngster no more. The grey hairs are a dead give away. Been 25 years involved in the punk scene. Dave: Yea as Don noted we are both getting on a little bit. The initial idea for the name was pretty much making fun of the stereotypical 18 year old scene kid who turns to older guys like us and tells us we have no right to be at the show because we're too old. But it means more than that - we are keen to encourage people to return to the 'old time' truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ and to realise their need for the ancient of days, God Almighty, the creator and sustainer of all things.

2. How did this band get started?

Don: We would have not met if it were not for a mutual friend by the name of Stephan van Zyl. Stephan phoned me and told me of this friend of his I should meet, a really cool guy by the name of Dave. The short of it is that Dave and his family were holidaying in my town (Port Elizabeth) when their accomodation fell through. I got a call from Dave, I told him that they can stay with us for the duration of their holiday. We had similiar tastes in music, both of us have played in bands in one form or another, and during the time they had with us, he grew on me, and our friendship flourished from there. I was working on some material in my spare time, and when Dave was back in Paarl, I sent him for fun some songs I had put together. He liked them alot and asked if he can write lyrics and sing vocals over them. I said go ahead. That as I remembered things getting started, and its been loads of fun just working with him, his more than just a friend, his a brother.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Don: Well for this project I got to say, Subhumans, Hit The Deck, Officer Negative, ABSOLVED, Black Flag were the primary influences when I sat down and wrote the songs. I love and enjoy music as a whole, whether jazz, punk, metal, pop, classical or techno. If its good its good, so my personal musical influences are spread right across the spectrum. Dave: I'm a little more narrow-minded than Don, though my musical interests are developing as the years go by. I pretty much exclusively listen to punk and hardcore. My favourites (Hit The Deck, Dry-Rot, God So Loved The World, Our Corpse Destroyed) all fit into that early 80's hardcore punk sound and I hope that influence comes through in my vocals, cause that's what I'm aiming for!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Don: STREETDOGS - above the awesome songs, they seem like really cool guys!, INFIRMITIES - Great friends, great sound, ABSOLVED - They just rock!, BB KING - duh? his one of the best blues guitarists ever, CARL PERKINS - The king of Rockabilly, BRIAN SETZER - One hell of a musician, one of the best in the world, CHUCK BERRY - he could get a groove going, ONE BAD PIG - great music, awesome energy, and really seemed like really cool dudes, THE RUTS - Just love their music, THE JAM - They might have been mod - rockers, but the energuy and intensity of their music was more punk rock, than mod, YOUTH OF TODAY - Ray Cappo, who would not want to be on stage with such a legend. I am going to stop right here, else I'll just keep going. Dave: THE CHARIOT - their live shows are so legendary, all of that energy on stage gets me amped, FLATFOOT 56 - great guys and just so much fun live, tons of crowd interaction. I'd imagine touring with them would be a blast.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Don: Well I don't think or should I say very unlikely that this project woul go on tour, but you can win my heart over with sausage, mash and gravy any day of the week, and a good meat pie while travelling always fills the spot. Dave: Chips, I can't get enough chips esp Doritos! And Ginger Beer, I love that kick.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Don: Well we love punk rock! I think if you love fast music, full of energy, enjoy old school hardcore and punk, then, yes you might actually enjoy listening to what we have to offer and be pleasantly surprised. Dave: I'd say all of the above plus we have a message that needs to be heard and calls the hearer to respond.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Don: Wow that is a toughy, so many great athletes out there, but one of my all time favorites was world record holder of Javelin throw, Tom Petranoff. I use to do Javelin throw years ago and he was one of my inspirations. Dave: I am not at all athletic, I'm terrible at sport.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Don: Without hesitation, God, because if we won a grammy it could only be because He had a hand in it. Dave: Yea Jesus Christ, but not in a cheesy kinda way, we are actually seeking to live for him and glorify him in everything we do and He has blessed us so much.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Don: Put a halt to the many new 'genre' type classifications that are coming out, prefered the old days, you had rock, disco, pop, metal and so forth, now its filled with sub genre's that have sub genre's that have sub - genres. There are some other little things that I would like to see changed, but I think I will leave that for another time. Dave: If I had half a chance I'd destroy the big three and have everything released either DIY or by small labels like our awesome label Thumper Punk Records (Thanks David Aaron, you are great). The big music labels are all about money and they suck all of the art and creativity out of music. I might also have everyone release exclusively on vinyl, but that might not be to everyone's liking!

10. Memorable tour experience?

Don: None, we have not toured yet.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Don: Well first off a big thanks to you guys for the support and this opportunity to do this interview. I suppose there will be some exposure for us through this as well, so big thanks again. I think you guys are a neccessary resource and do a lot for the music scene. Dave: Yea AP is just a great place to find out what is going on with your fave bands in one place rather than having to search here there and everywhere on the interweb. Thanks

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Don: It varies, but I think 'This City' and 'Posi is'nt Enough' are my favorites. Dave: I'm still partial to 'Turnbull ACs' as it's one of my most honest. 'Posi Isn't Enough' is also a personal fave.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Don: QUIET, and away from the city, helps if there is a beach involved. Dave: Hmmm somewhere new every time. I really like to see new places. Or visiting friends who live far off, that is always rad.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Don: ABBA. Dave: Oh I hate ABBA with a passion. For me bands like Dire Straits, UB40, Madness, Fleewood Mac & Bob Marley bring back memories of childhood, some good, some not so great.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Don: Superman is bullet proof right? Well that can come quiet handy sometimes living in South Africa! Dave: Super-speed so I could keep up with my two exuberant sons

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Don: Well being a project band and the fact that we are spread over two contenants we don't do shows, and certianly I don't have any superstitions and I am not into 'rituals', but if we did do a show, I would pray to God before hand and ask Him to be with us during the duration of the show, and pray for His blessing to be upon us. Dave: 'Nuff said!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Don: Believe it or not, despite the references we are South African, a lot of people because we are on an American label still asume we must still be American. I like the Trombone, and we have a trombone in our family from a famous South African jazz trombomist from the early 1900's. Oh, I have the priviliage of leading a Sunday school. Dave: I studied at university and achieved a Master of Arts in Archaeology which I would consider a complete waste of four years but for the fact that I met my wonderful wife during that time.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Don: Well its dependable, you get good radio shows you get bad shows, but there does seem to be a lot of radio stations out there, and there are many on-line radio stations like Whatever68radio that are more than happy to promote ones band. I think there is a ressurgeness in the radio industry and certianly believe that one is able to flourish through the right radio station, ultimately if they believe in your music that is, and that the fans keep requesting your music. Dave: I don't listen to radio (online or other) and so I have no opinion to state.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Don:Spend time with my wife and kids, enjoy friendships and listen to music, watch series related episodes, read and study the Bible. Love eating out, connecting with people, and promoting punk rock. Dave: I also try to spend as much time with my wife and kids as I can when I'm free, they are the best. I like to listen to music (preferably on vinyl), skate, be creative and hang out with God and friends.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Don: I enjoy writing poems, love drawing and cooking and make I mean meat pie. Dave: He ain't kidding either, those pies are awesome.