Mr. Meeble - 06.27.12
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
Mr. Meeble (questions answered by: Devin Fleenor - producer, lead vocalist)
1. How did you get your band name?
We were playing with Styrofoam and it randomly made a sound that was eerily similar to someone saying "meeble".
2. How did this band get started?
Michael and I started the band in 2005 after meeting back in high school. Nothing entertaining or scandalous here, sorry.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Thom Yorke, Massive Attack, M83, Aphex Twin, Lymbyc Systym, Sigur Ros, Telefon Tel Aviv
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
M83. Why? Our vibes are congruent. Our energy is compatible.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
For me? Whey protein shakes, and a ton of them.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We manipulate the listener's mind into seeing images both eerie and enjoyable. In one vein, Mr. Meeble is a very unusual, experimental band. On the other hand, we make pop music for people who donít like pop music.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Although I wasn't alive to see him play, Jim Brown, the most powerful NFL running back of all time. Weird... I sound like a sports guy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank God for bending the laws of physics, because it is physically impossible for us to win a Grammy.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would leave it just as it is now, except that Justin Bieber and Nickleback wouldn't exist.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Being told by a new fan in Frankfurt that seeing our live show was like the first time he sat down to watch a David Lynch film.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a very unique underground music community.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Midwestern Courtesy (On a Romanian Road)
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Electric Light Orchestra
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would have the ability to modulate time, slow it down, reverse it, etc. Why? I would make corn dogs magically appear in our audience members' hands.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
If possible, I get away from the venue for a couple hours after sound check - decompress, eat, relax, etc.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have a genetic blood disorder.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
What's radio? Flourish? I'm not so sure... You're going to have to tell me more about this radio thing.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Socialize, travel, experience amazing art, chill with my girlfriend and dogs at home.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can juggle... and I do a pretty damn good robot voice.