The Dandelion War - 09.10.12
The Dandelion War
1. How did you get your band name?
Larry came up with it. Itís two contrasting extremes which seemed appropriate for a band that relies so much on contrasting dynamics. There was a time when we considered changing it, but we never found anything we liked better. The phrase was taken from the title of a book by Richard Rosenthal. Someday, we'll reach out to Mr. Rosenthal to let him know we exist. At that point, he may opt to sue us and we'll seek to profit from the publicity. We're ruthless like that.
2. How did this band get started?
Larry and Mikey were in a band together called Thisaeo. When that band broke up, they decided to do something different, more post-rock. The other guys were found via Craigslist. We've all been in prior bands, but nobody's been in a band that sounded anything like The Dandelion War. This style is new for all of us and that's made for a fun challenge.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Most directly, we're influenced by post-rock and atmospheric bands. Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Appleseed Cast, This Will Destroy You, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Touring Europe with Sigur Ros would work for us. It would put us in front of people who are likely to "get" what we do, and allow us to do some great sight-seeing.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Skunk. Our practice space is poorly ventilated.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We don't hide from the fact that we fit into a couple specific genres, but at the same time, we honestly believe in the cliche that we have our own unique sound. For people who enjoy atmospheric music that sort of washes over you, we think we have something great to offer.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
"A Mi Alrededor." It's the only song we've ever done that has anything that resembles a guitar solo. Our music is generally quite simple, but nobody will be able to nail it until these games add some serious reverb/delay plugins. This song also uses 3 different time signatures, so that might throw people off.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Aaron Hellam, who recorded the album at Castle Ultimate Studios and showed unbelievable patience as we experimented in the studio. Deep Elm Records for showing faith in our music and helping us spread the word.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
We'd love to see the death of the major labels and a flourishing of all the great independents. The first part, at least, seems to be happening. There's a ton of incredible music out there that doesn't get the exposure it deserves.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Larry got burned in Manteca, CA for telling the crowd how happy we were to be playing "man-teh-ka." A local hick had to correct him; "Hey man, it's 'man-tee-ca'." Proper Spanish pronunciation is not tolerated in the Central Valley.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Starting a couple years ago with our first album, Geometries and Orchids, AP has been great in helping us get exposure. You guys are easily one of the best places to find new, undiscovered bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"A Different Heav'n" That song was largely written in the studio, so we weren't sure how it would work live. For whatever reason, it's come together really easily and we nail it every time. Writing that down will surely jinx it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Larry: Albion, CA (Mendocino County)
Mikey: Costa Rica
Jeff: La Paz, Mexico
Julius: Boracay Island, Philippines
Chris: Monterey, CA
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Larry: 80's post-punk, west coast hip-hop
Jeff: 80's hair metal
Chris: 80's rock
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Larry: Flying, to avoid airport security procedures
Mikey: Xavier's power from X-men
Jeff: Time travel, seemed like fun for Bill and Ted
Julius: Invisibility, for the usual reason
Chris: Pure, ironic sarcasm. Why? pppff whatever.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not even close.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Julius is in the Army Reserve. We try to thank him for his service at least once per rehearsal.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Do birthdays count? We like birthdays.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We're big music nerds, so we love discovering new music in our spare time.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Everyone except Jeff can roll their r's. Thus making it ironic that his favorite vacation spot in Mexico, where they often roll their r's.
acheter viagra danger