AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Circle of Reason - 10.08.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2915622)

Jeremy Aaron 10/08/12 08:00 PM

Circle of Reason - 10.08.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Circle of Reason

http://www.facebook.com/circleofreason

Band Members
Gary Slade
Simon Osman
Sam Cogher
Andy Milwain

1. How did you get your band name?

Gary: Simon and I would be playing FIFA and Resi 5 practically every night trying to come up with a name. We came up with loads of metal names but we aren't metal,
so we ended up choosing words that made sense to us and meant something to us and we came up with Circle of Reason. It took ages, but we're happy now

2. How did this band get started?

Gary: Simon and I met through work and we decided to get together and work on some songs, so I took some demos over to him, he put some lyrics to them and we carried on from there. We recruited a drummer, recorded a demo, got a bassist and started gigging. Then our bassist left so we got Sam, then our drummer left so we got
the big lad Andy involved and the rest is history

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Andy: August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me, Periphery, Portishead, Led Zep, quite a lot of pop music.

Gary: The Smashing Pumpkins, Silverchair, Mastodon, Muse, Coheed and Cambria, Deftones

Sam: Metallica, Rush, Lamb of God, Muse

Simon: Between the Buried and Me, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, Death Cab for Cutie, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Sam: I'd love to tour with Rush as Geddy Lee is the man, and also Metallica, as they're my favourite band and rarely play anything but stadiums.

Simon: Mastodon so I could watch Brent all night, or Biffy and just play table tennis with them.

Andy: Steak Number Eight. They are the nicest people ever on the planet.

Gary: The Smashing Pumpkins, Mastodon, and Queen because they are and were awesome

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Simon: McDonald's.

Gary: Beef Hula Hoops, Sausage Rolls, KFC and McDonald's.

Sam: Kebab or Mickey D

Andy: Apples, Bananas, Sausage Rolls, Variety of Pies, Cheese and Biscuits

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should want to listen to our band because we put all our effort into the music. We want it to be enjoyable for as many people as possible. That's why there is such a mix of styles in it and hopefully why people like us and will like us.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Sam: Probably Lionel Messi. He's the best footballer in the world possibly ever and a really nice humble guy who has won everything there is in club football.

Andy: Usain Bolt, because I want to feel what it's like to run that fast and what it feels like to have your face wobble that much.

Gary: Paul Sturgess, the 7'8" tall basketball player so I wouldn't even have to jump to dunk.

Simon: David Beckham because he is so damn handsome.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Sam: I would thank Gary.

Gary: My parents, my girlfriend, my sister and the guys in the band.

Andy: Family, friends and anyone I've had a really nice chat with at some point in my life.

Simon: Mum and dad, first guitar teacher and Gary for having me.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

It's changing everyday, if there could be some stability in some way, it would help up and coming bands and people would be willing to invest in them maybe?

10. Memorable tour experience?

We're still waiting for that!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It's a way to put bands (us) in the spotlight for a bit and help us get some more attention and get more people to hear our music. We visit the site often to see what was going on in the music world. It's a very useful and interesting site to go to, so thanks AP.net.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Simon: "Sea of Voices".

Andy: "Themes". As soon as I count it out, my excitement level goes up ten-fold.

Gary: My favourite to play is "Silver Scene".

Sam: "Sea of Voices".

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Gary: Somewhere peaceful and quiet with picturesque surroundings with a bit of snow maybe.

Simon: Somewhere with a big wood with a lake.

Sam: Orlando, Florida every time. Hello Disney World.

Andy: Norway. It's got everything!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Andy: Deftones. I listened to them a lot.

Sam: Probably Queen's Greatest Hits 1, as I constantly played it as a kid especially "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Gary: Korn, Limp Bizkit, Metallica.

Simon: Anything by Sum 41 or a nu-metal band.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Simon: Invisibility for so many reasons.

Gary: Stop time, travel through time and all that stuff, because I'd change history and I'd change it hard.

Sam: I'd have the power to make us the biggest band in the world.

Andy: Underwater breathing, because when you swim, having to hold your breath is one of the most annoying things.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Sam: Just finger exercises to warm up hands.

Andy: None really, but always have to watch all the bands on the night.

Gary: Just tune up and choose a guitar face to pull whilst playing.

Simon: I empty my pockets, so if your a thief!!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Sam: I support Southampton FC. That's all I can think of.

Andy: I'm diabetic and my sugars are controlled by an iPod.

Gary: I sleep better in the day.

Simon: I can sing and play guitar.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Gary: There are a lot of internet stations and small stations out there that are good for bands to get heard on and promoted by which is cool, and we get played on a lot of them, which we appreciate big time, but there are so many of them that they may not get many listeners and can't compete with the bigger stations. Unless you get played by a big station like Radio 1 you don't really know how many people will actually hear your music and won't know how many people you are reaching. If we got played on the big stations we might flourish.

Sam: I think current radio is awful and I avoid it at all costs, Thanks, X-Factor.

Andy: I never really used to listen to it, but within the last year I have, and found that loads of people still listen to it. It would be great to have our music played on the big ones, even if it were two in the morning. New people would hear it, and that's important to us to reach new people.

Simon: I think we could flourish in the right places. Radio is mainly pop but pop's catchy. What do you expect? There's a rock chart for a reason and that's good enough for me.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Sam: I play my bass, play my PS3, watch footy and see my girlfriend and my parrot

Simon: Game hard.

Andy: Make cakes, play and build drums.

Gary: Sleep, watch movies, play guitar, game and spend time with my woman.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Andy: I can play the kaosillator with my toes.

Gary: I can eat a large number of double cheese burgers.

Simon: I'm a great gamer.

Sam: I'm brilliant at FIFA.