AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Music (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
  -  Campus Punk Radio (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2917892)

skanal1 10/10/12 10:19 AM

Campus Punk Radio
 
Hey I'm hosting a punk show on the campus radio station at my university, just wondering if you guys have any tips or suggestions on what music to play and what kinds of things I should do on it. Thanks

Regards 10/10/12 11:50 AM

Step 1) Who is your demographic
Step 2) What do they want to hear

Dbollus 10/10/12 11:51 AM

When I was in college a lot of my friends did radio shows. Number one thing they all shared was exposing new local bands. That's the best way to go.

only the clouds 10/10/12 12:38 PM

^that is a good tip. I'd just play little-known bands in general.

Fun fact: I used to host a radio show for punk and hardcore. Our #1 demographic was the inmates of local prisons. Who apparently are big fans of hardcore.

skanal1 10/10/12 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regards (Post 114051222)
Step 1) Who is your demographic
Step 2) What do they want to hear

I want to get people into the genre rather than satisfying the 10 people who listen to hardcore on campus. they probably want to hear pop punk stuff but more mature and developed im guessing. like dear landlord? etc

skanal1 10/10/12 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbollus (Post 114051252)
When I was in college a lot of my friends did radio shows. Number one thing they all shared was exposing new local bands. That's the best way to go.

yeah good idea, im thinking to start with The Murderburgers because they're local.

bradsonemanband 10/10/12 01:18 PM

feel free to use any and/or every song from my band's album.
www.changetofire.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/changetofire

swboyd 10/10/12 01:35 PM

Just play whatever the fuck you want. In terms of actual radio play, a majority of what this site covers isn't played on mainstream radio. I know when I did radio at my undergraduate university that I couldn't play stuff like Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold, but I could basically play anything like Lamb of God and beyond in terms of obscurity (I was a metal DJ).

Regards 10/10/12 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanal1 (Post 114054742)
I want to get people into the genre rather than satisfying the 10 people who listen to hardcore on campus. they probably want to hear pop punk stuff but more mature and developed im guessing. like dear landlord? etc


If you have a style in mind, find the demo and play to it. I've worked in Radio now for 9 years, and this is the biggest tip I can give someone who's just getting into it.

duritzfan13 10/10/12 02:11 PM

Start some sort of Facebook page or something for your show, and ask local and small bands to submit songs. I'm sure you'll get a pretty good response!

upthepunx 10/11/12 02:21 AM

I've always thought it would be rad to host punk radio. Local bands is the way to go, and getting -short- interviews of bands that have some momentum in campus or in your community. They'll tell people to listen to them on your radio station, cross-advertising. play as wide a variety of punk as you can, top 10 stuff, deep cuts, thrash to scream... everybody knows the genre is huge, use it to your advantage.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd get a velvety smooth voice.

friskycurtain 10/11/12 06:11 AM

Don't play singles. Many people may only know a band by their singles, so exposing your audience to B-sides, bonus tracks, and non-singles would be a good idea.

skanal1 10/11/12 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradsonemanband (Post 114054842)
feel free to use any and/or every song from my band's album.
www.changetofire.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/changetofire

I like this, i will play a song or two

skanal1 10/11/12 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friskycurtain (Post 114075462)
Don't play singles. Many people may only know a band by their singles, so exposing your audience to B-sides, bonus tracks, and non-singles would be a good idea.

thanks, good idea, will do!

skanal1 10/11/12 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthepunx (Post 114073872)
I've always thought it would be rad to host punk radio. Local bands is the way to go, and getting -short- interviews of bands that have some momentum in campus or in your community. They'll tell people to listen to them on your radio station, cross-advertising. play as wide a variety of punk as you can, top 10 stuff, deep cuts, thrash to scream... everybody knows the genre is huge, use it to your advantage.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd get a velvety smooth voice.

such a good idea, i will try this as well