AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  What Looks Like Crazy - 10.10.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2918372)

Jeremy Aaron 10/10/12 08:24 PM

What Looks Like Crazy - 10.10.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

What Looks Like Crazy

www.whatlookslikecrazymusic.com
www.facebook.com/whatlookslikecrazy
www.twitter.com/WLLC757
www.youtube.com/whatlookslikecrazytv

1. How did you get your band name?

I (DJ Zaruba), saw a book on Oprah Winfrey's book club list called "What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day", and thought to myself, "Oh man, What Looks Like Crazy would be a really catchy band name." About four years later, I had started a solo project, and decided that would be the name.

2. How did this band get started?

After my falling out with the band called Life's Only Lesson in 2010, I decided to carry on with some songs I had written for that band in a solo project that I wasn't even looking to pursue as a career. However, after I got some of the final mixes back from the songs I recorded with producer Nick "Sexy" Scalise, my friends and family were all pretty convinced that I should try to put a band together. So after releasing the self-titled EP, I found some friends and started building the band we all now know as What Looks Like Crazy.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

I am heavily influenced by The Maine, All Time Low, The Goo Goo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, Eve 6, and Something Corporate

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I would really love to tour with All Time Low or The Maine because I think it would just be a lot of fun. Both bands seem to always being having a ton of fun while they are on the road. I would love to be a part of that. I would also like to see us on tour with Maroon 5 or Hot Chelle Rae, because I love the sound of both of those bands.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Clif Bars. Sheetz Mac n Cheese, PB&J, and Cook Out.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I think people should give us a listen because it is fun, honest, and is easily relatable to listeners of all ages.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

David Beckham

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank God for giving me the gift of songwriting and for the opportunity to make music as a career. I would thank my family, Tereasa Zaruba, Dan Zaruba, and Aaron Zaruba. The Wesson, Powell, and Rigdon families. My best friends in the Richards Family (Brian, Natalia, Skyler, and Little B). The amazingly talented Danielle "Sylvan" Dernoga, and all of my other amazing friends who have always supported me. The Kolhagen's, DeAnna King, Mommy, and the rest of their amazing family. Matt Nuttall, John Hirlinger, "Jersey Jim" Teesdale. Way too many to name. I'm sorry if I didn't put anyone's name on here who knows that I appreciate their support. And of course I would thank every single person who has ever listened to our music or given us a chance.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would just want to bring back some of the old school work ethic back into the industry, before everything became completely dependent on online social media. Things were a lot easier for independent bands when things were based on the genuine relationship you built with people in the industry and not just through email and how much money you have to spend on advertising.

10. Memorable tour experience?

On the "Don't Trust Boys Tour" that we just did in September with Forget Me In Vegas and Call To Attraction, I was sleeping in the back of the van on our way to Allentown, PA from NJ while our drummer, Tanner was driving. I believe that we were only on the highway for about ten minutes when I was woken up by a knocking underneath the van. We pulled over immediately and the van had overheated, and our engine was done for. Luckily our friends in Forget Me In Vegas and Call To Attraction were right behind us and helped us out by transporting some of us while two flat beds towed our van and trailer to the nearest Pep Boys. The van was considered a total loss, so we sold the van as parts for $300 and paid our buddy AJ Hoenings (Formerly of Like The Stars) to use his van to tow us and our trailer home to VA. Not the happiest moment, but definitely memorable haha.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It means having the most up to date news for all types of music from everywhere.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Our new single, "Easy". So much fun. Fast and upbeat, and very catchy!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Denver, Colorado, one of my favorite cities!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Teddy Graham crackers

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would want to be able to breather underwater. No specific reason why. I just think it would be really cool.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I always chug a lot of honey before I go on stage. It's gross, but it helps!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I mentor a ten year old through Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America. I have been doing it for the past three years. My little's name is Bryce, and he is awesome.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think the radio is a very tough market these days, but if done right I think it could definitely help our band or any artist flourish.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to spend time with my friends. Watch movies. Go bowling or golfing.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can actually cook pretty well.