AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2925002)

Gregory Robson 10/17/12 09:20 PM

Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives

Benjamin Gibbard - Former Lives
Record Label: Barsuk
Release Date: Oct. 16, 2012

There's no denying the power and grace of singer-songwriter Benjamin "Ben" Gibbard. Whether its the yarns spun in the electro-pop project The Postal Service, the veering narratives regaled in Death Cab for Cutie and All Time Quarterback, or the Kerouc-inspired balladry from 2010's One Fast Move or I'm Gone, Gibbard has a distinct pulse on how to write songs that make an impact and yet still say something profound. Anyone who needs further convincing needs only to listen to Former Lives, Gibbard's long-awaited full length solo debut. Comprised of many songs he has tucked away for years, the album is everything one might expect from a Gibbard solo album: daring, delicate, verbose and indelible.

The disc's opener "Shepherd's Bush Lullaby," is an a cappella effort that serves more as a prologue than that of a pop song, but serves itself well and opens things winningly. The buoyant and jaunty "Dream Song," follows and its a heartland folk song of the finest order. Jangly, jubilant and deeply melodic, it's a fine step forward and another notch on the proverbial belt for the well-heeled veteran. Former Lives makes its first splash on "Teardrop Windows," an expansive and fuller effort than the prior two and as poignant and self-defeating than anything he's written in quite some time. Certainly we've heard Gibbard sing about "too many vacancies," and "feeling too empty," but never has he sounded more despondent, more vulnerable and more alive.

A delicate piano enters the fray on "Bigger Than Love," and gradually the song evolves into an ebullient and effortless romp. An easy choice for a first single, "Bigger Than Love," relates the tale of a young couple grappling with the struggles of raising a family. Its weighty subject matter is married by Gibbard's tender tenor vocals, and the end results are nothing short of glowing and gleaming. How one can marry such dense lyrical matter into something so harmonic is truly touching. To put it succinctly, "Bigger Than Love," is a tonic for all of us; a modern masterpiece for all of us to rest our heads against.

Never one to shy away from a love song, Gibbard puts his best foot forward on the intimate and warm "Lily," which enters into contention as one of the year's best valentines and seems destined to be played at weddings and anniversaries. Following "Something's Rattling (Cowpoke)," is arguably Gibbard's most daring song to date and also one of his best. Vaudevillian in scope, "Something's Rattling," sounds like 1940s Paris set to music. But indeed, the best is still yet to come. The timeless piano ballad "Duncan, Where Have You Gone?," is without a doubt the album's apex. Layered, sweeping and rich, it has a Beatles-esque sentiment that is as solacing and self-affirming than probably anything Gibbard has ever released.

"Oh, Woe," is a ringing and dusty heartland anthem that attempts to shed disappointment and doubt in the hopes of something better. There aren't many who could pen the words, "It's been a basement of a year, all I want is for you to disappear," and have it sound so soothing, sincere and sympathetic. But therein lies the charm and grace of Gibbard. On the shuffling and bouncy "A Hard One to Know," he sings about a woman that's hard to love and even harder to resist. Shuffling, bouncy and bright, "A Hard One To Know," is uber-catchy and nothing short of irresistible.

Former Lives' closing triumvirate is as strong as any released this year and exactly the kind of finish one might expect from one of America's most beloved songwriters. The quiet placidity of "Lady Adelaide," has an airy and atmospheric quality that is affecting, intimate and exquisite. Ostensibly a yarn about a heartbroken girl, it manages to navigate the anguish and despair in a way unlike few of his contemporaries. Its successor, "Broken Yolk in Western Sky," uses a lilting lap steel to construct a dusty alt. country sendup that hints at the tone of Big Sur, but goes deeper. In many ways, "Broken Yolk in Western Sky," feels like a harbinger of things to come. Before he hangs it up for good, Gibbard will most certainly release a country-leaning disc and "Broken Yolk in Western Sky," points to that.

The disc grinds to a halt on the folky "I'm Building a Fire," in which he channels his inner troubadour and offers up some old-school balladry not unlike Roy Orbison. Anchored by the verse, "The night is only a temporary absence of light," "I'm Building a Fire," is hopeful and shines like a beacon in the night. Never one to shy away from life-affirming koans, "I'm Building a Fire," is everything that makes Gibbard great.

That Former Lives is so impressive is certainly no surprise to the many who have spent hours listening to his music. But there's a certain risk and danger in releasing a solo album and Gibbard meets the fate head-on with nothing short of confidence, professionalism and charisma. There's a reason so many cling to his every word and utterance and Former Lives is only a testament to all those who chose to do so.

Recommended If You Like City and Colour, The Beatles, sadness

Find Him Here http://benjamingibbard.net

Craig Manning 10/17/12 09:30 PM

Glad to hear that the disappointed comments I've heard so far are wrong. Gotta check this out ASAP.

counting_saturn 10/17/12 10:10 PM

Am I a terrible person for feeling slightly excited when a favorite songwriter experiences a breakup? It happened with I heard about Gibbard's divorce and when Matthew Thiessen got dumped.

You just know their next album is going to be great!

Cue 'I'm going to go to hell when I die' song.

suckitandsee 10/17/12 10:28 PM

Not sure I'd rate it this high, but I spun it tonight and I read some AP.net user opinions before that got me discouraged... so I put it on and its like "oh that was good, I'll come back to that" after almost every song. The first song and that god-awful Cowpoke song are the only two off my iTunes

quiksilver21k 10/17/12 10:50 PM

Awesome review Gregory. I didn't understand all of the negative comments I was seeing previously. This album is beautiful and really shows a new dimension to Ben - one that is more simple, melodic and focused. I enjoy this album from start to finish with Duncan being played on repeat.

salmarnirecho 10/17/12 11:31 PM

I did not enjoy this album whatsoever, probably my most disappointing of 2012. "A Hard One to Know" annoys the hell out of me. So it goes though.

SpyKi 10/18/12 02:19 AM

I don't think I'd rate it that high but it's still pretty good. I don't think it's anywhere close to his best work though.

Jeff_Ryan 10/18/12 03:31 AM

First review I've read of this that hasn't mentioned Zooey

Thank you for that.

SpyKi 10/18/12 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debut_Fin (Post 114334612)

Thank you for that.

oh yeah, this. There's no need.

InfiniteArms 10/18/12 05:13 AM

This album really hits the spot lyrically for me.

gr33ndayfr3ak 10/18/12 05:24 AM

I was hoping you would review this, Greg! Spot on review, this album is definitely in my top 10 for the year. The lyrics are just phenomenal. This is right up there with Plans and Give Up, my two other favorite releases of his.

Vance Mook 10/18/12 05:49 AM

No way! Reccomended if you like sadness?:-d
Seriously though, intersting RIYL. I love Death Cab although I thought the last two albums lacked, but I do have a thing for solo records. I'm trying to stay open to this so I can check it out for myself.

CapitalG24 10/18/12 06:22 AM

I enjoy the album, I was hoping for something a little... sadder. Its nice to listen but not amazed by it.

jdr277 10/18/12 06:31 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that.

No review of this should mention Zooey since most, if not all of these songs were written before all that. Anyway I thiought this album was painfully boring. I'm going to try and give this another full spin because I don't want to dislike this album but it just hasn't grabbed me yet. Good review but IMO it is very very generous.

SuNDaYSTaR 10/18/12 06:47 AM

I'll probably like this; I love sadness!

stonecoldfox 10/18/12 06:57 AM

Finally someone else who likes this! All the other reviews I've seen have made it seem pretty lackluster, but I'm really loving this album.

derekjd 10/18/12 06:59 AM

I'll be listening to this later today. Great review.

CharlieCrap 10/18/12 08:38 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that.

It wouldn't be out of line to mention that she provided vocals on Cowpoke

:wave:

but that's it

CharlieCrap 10/18/12 08:43 AM

oh and I love this album btw. But Ben Gibbard could fucking fart into his iphone over a techno beat (*cough*"Tomorrow"fromYouCanPlayThe seSongsWithChords*cough*) and I'd listen to it on repeat for the next week so what do I know.

CoheedForever 10/18/12 08:59 AM

Can't wait to give this a listen.

BozzBlonde 10/18/12 09:11 AM

This album only warrants a listen or two. It's incredibly boring, save a track or so.

anamericangod 10/18/12 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BozzBlonde (Post 114341072)
This album only warrants a listen or two. It's incredibly boring, save a track or so.

Sums it up. Perhaps the most forgettable release of Gibbard's discography.

fenderstrat383 10/18/12 09:56 AM

I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I'm sure the lyrics alone will be enough for me. Ben's a genius.

renedex 10/18/12 10:34 AM

urgh this is so boring. like codes and keys was so boring.

edit: if i sound bitter it's cos i love ben and i'm disappointed, obv i'm just holding this to a higher standard, it's not awful.

surfwaxsideshow 10/18/12 10:40 AM

Codes and Keys was a much more listenable boring, though.

SpyKi 10/18/12 11:02 AM

I might prefer this to Codes and Keys and I wouldn't expect this to be of the same caliber as a Death Cab album so this isn't nearly as disappointing as that was.

drudo182 10/18/12 11:49 AM

Picked this up today. Halfway into it right now.

drudo182 10/18/12 11:50 AM

And I loved Codes and Keys.

Kelly Doherty 10/18/12 12:02 PM

Can't wait to hear this. Excellent review!

Jake Jenkins 10/18/12 02:36 PM

did we listen to the same album? this shit is bad

Steeeve Perry 10/18/12 03:10 PM

I listen to a lot of different sounding music, and quite a bit of this style -- City and Color, etc. So I'm not saying this as some hardcore kid or a pop-punk pogo-child with no peripheral vision. This album is boring.

syntax omitted 10/18/12 03:46 PM

What's with the hate on Codes and Keys? It was one of my favorite DCFC albums!

schlotty 10/18/12 05:50 PM

album is a 6.5 imo

wanielledalsh 10/20/12 10:21 AM

I thought this album was going to be awful, but it's actually awesome. I love the way he starts and ends the album, it's perfect. Great review by the way!

wanielledalsh 10/20/12 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeeve Perry (Post 114355902)
I listen to a lot of different sounding music, and quite a bit of this style -- City and Color, etc. So I'm not saying this as some hardcore kid or a pop-punk pogo-child with no peripheral vision. This album is boring.

You listen to City and Colour and you think this album is boring? How?

Brett9 10/20/12 11:18 AM

Went into this album anticipating a boring, sad sound (based on a lot of reviews and comments)...and ended up really liking what I heard. I think this review pretty much sums it up. I might have rated it differently, but I think this is ultimately a really enjoyable album.

blinkeatworld 10/20/12 02:27 PM

I probably like at least 6 Gibbard releases more than this but that said it's still better than I was expecting after hearing that it was basically just an accumulation of songs written over a long period. Pretty good.

SlappedActor 10/20/12 06:24 PM

6/10 tops. Really bland.

Steeeve Perry 10/21/12 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanielledalsh (Post 114409552)
You listen to City and Colour and you think this album is boring? How?

It's lyrically uninspired, melodically underwhelming, full of filler songs and just doesn't captivate me.
You could say the same for plenty of City and Color but I prefer Dallas' songs to most of the ones found here. I just used C&C as an example, instead of a less-AP.net artist.

Also, the songs rip on the Beatles hard but without much success. If I want to listen to someone sound like the Beatles, the new Tame Impala record is amazing.

wethedrowned 10/28/12 11:51 PM

I can't say that the best records were'nt written when artists were at their lows