AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  ABSOLUTExclusive: Thrice Looks Back (Video) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2930212)

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 12:19 PM

ABSOLUTExclusive: Thrice Looks Back (Video)

Along with our friends at PureVolume and the Absolute Voices sites, we're proud to bring one of six videos featuring Riley Breckenridge discussing Thrice's discography. It's really interesting and sheds some light on what went into each release - a must-watch for any Thrice fan. In the replies, you can find our exclusive video of Riley discussing The Alchemy Index: Vol. I + II as well as links to the other five videos.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 12:19 PM

hectorial85 10/23/12 12:29 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Aliarcy 10/23/12 12:31 PM

pretty sweet, can't wait for Anthology. wish there was more about AI 1&2 though. water is probably my favorite of their entire catalog

alegnaanaconda 10/23/12 12:38 PM

While I love Vheissu and the songs on Alchemy Index I & II that sound like it, I always thought The Alchemy Index III & IV were the best stuff Thrice ever put out. I wish that band existed on its own, that's how much I love it. I even watched The Boy Who Could Fly so I could understand A Song For Milly Michaelson. It's beautiful, there's nothing else out there like it. It's sad to hear Riley not say the most positive things about the making of the album and the effects of it, but it's still one I'll always keep going back to.

brook183 10/23/12 12:41 PM

I wanna know what the other band names were that they considered along with "Thrice."

suicidesaints 10/23/12 12:44 PM

Can't wait to get home and watch this video (firewalled at work)

TheRxBandit 10/23/12 12:52 PM

I want MORE! But also, sheesh, turn down the music level in this video. It was really hard to listen to this.

sevinw0rds 10/23/12 01:23 PM

Poor Riley always gets caught mid-blink in video freeze frames.

johnnyferris 10/23/12 01:28 PM

Man, I need to get more into their discography.

phaynes1 10/23/12 01:42 PM

Watching all these was pretty awesome. Love this band.

Likelinus 10/23/12 01:56 PM

Great videos. thanks for that!
I'm really worried about what will happen with Thrice. If this "break" is meant to be 2-5 years, it's probably only good for them. But if we start talking 5-10 years they'll probably drift apart.

qwerty22 10/23/12 02:13 PM

These are all great, but the selfish fan in me wishes they were each an hour long.

jetsetvenom 10/23/12 02:17 PM

Are the tracks in the background of these videos from Anthology? If so, they sound AMAZING.

PetitnaindesĪles 10/23/12 02:22 PM

it's me or he really looks like an older joseph gordon levitt

brook183 10/23/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario57 (Post 114517952)

He looks almost exactly like my cousin too. Must just have one of those faces.

Zenigame96 10/23/12 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario57 (Post 114517952)

My girlfriend and I think the exact same thing. :)

KenneyBN 10/23/12 03:57 PM

Watching this as soon as I get home

Poochemist 10/23/12 05:26 PM

Great series!

ship of fools 10/23/12 06:48 PM

Such a strange feeling, wanting more from a band that has already given me everything.

CBKRP 10/23/12 08:03 PM

Could of been my favorite band of all time and then everything after Of Dust and Nations happened... Cool of Riley to sit down and reflect on the time they spent as a band for sure though.

Micklovin 10/23/12 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetvenom (Post 114517692)
Are the tracks in the background of these videos from Anthology? If so, they sound AMAZING.

I'm hoping so to, they sound unreal!

Your Milkshake 10/23/12 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegnaanaconda (Post 114512382)
While I love Vheissu and the songs on Alchemy Index I & II that sound like it, I always thought The Alchemy Index III & IV were the best stuff Thrice ever put out. I wish that band existed on its own, that's how much I love it. I even watched The Boy Who Could Fly so I could understand A Song For Milly Michaelson. It's beautiful, there's nothing else out there like it. It's sad to hear Riley not say the most positive things about the making of the album and the effects of it, but it's still one I'll always keep going back to.

Alchemy III & IV are totally the best

InExile 10/23/12 08:30 PM

Major/Minor was a disappointment (a relative disappointment). Beggars is a perfect album though.

adamKS 10/23/12 09:09 PM

this is great. love any news story where i see thrice in the headline. .

riley just seems like such an authentic, humble guy who would be cool to hang with. .there just aren't enough bands/artists around like thrice. .the only other one would be the gaslight anthem, glad they're carrying the torch that thrice has put down. .(for now)

davefalcone777 10/23/12 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty22 (Post 114517502)
These are all great, but the selfish fan in me wishes they were each an hour long.

I wish it was with all of them.

qwerty22 10/23/12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefalcone777 (Post 114538762)
I wish it was with all of them.

Seems like Riley is doing pretty much all of the press for this upcoming release. I guess because two of them are in Washington.

serotoninzero 10/24/12 12:59 AM

I just wanted to bring up the fact that the Red Sky EP that came out after Vheissu was an amazing EP that some of you may have not actually checked out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sky_(EP)

Also, it blows my mind that they were let go from Island due to the Alchemy Indexes. Bad move. I suppose if they hadn't heard anything cohesive yet, but damn did it turn out well.

PetitnaindesĪles 10/24/12 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InExile (Post 114535672)
Major/Minor was a disappointment (a relative disappointment). Beggars is a perfect album though.

yep

theherox 10/24/12 09:30 AM

more than ridiculously stoked to watch these

theherox 10/24/12 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InExile (Post 114535672)

honestly, trying to look at the albums as objectively as possible, and the artistry and growth and vision involved in each album,

I think their three best albums are Illusion of Safety, Beggars, and Major/Minor

On the other hand, as a fan, my personal favorite is Vheissu, (which seems to be common)

stonecoldnimrod 10/24/12 03:30 PM

my faves in order:

1: alchemy index I
2: vheissu
3: artist in the ambulance.

but some of the best songs (in exile; doublespeak) are off beggars.

btw, when the hell is this live cd goin to leak????? i have no patience for tuesday to buy.

tottivillarossi 10/25/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegnaanaconda (Post 114512382)

I agree with you. Did you watch the III/IV interview btw? Riley didn't seem to talk as fondly of that one as he did the early stuff. Or maybe it's just me?

wethedrowned 10/29/12 12:47 AM

It's good to know that they made the records that they wanted to make and not caving to label pressure