AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Entertainment (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
  -  Nicolas Cage Appreciation Thread (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2968162)

LastDeclaration 11/29/12 03:47 PM

Nicolas Cage Appreciation Thread

Dude gets a bad rap. I used to be one of the many who ragged on him, but then I saw Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans, and my perception of him changed completely. Not that I necessarily think he's a "great" actor now, at least not in the usual sense of the word (though some, like Roger Ebert, certainly think he is), but it seems clear to me now that Cage knows exactly what he's doing when he's on-screen. He knows how ridiculous and hilariously absurd he comes off a lot of the time, with his crazy hair, unrealistic romances, overzealous character portrayal, and so on, and he embraces the ridiculousness. And I think it works in making him endlessly entertaining. I can't recall a single movie in which I was bored by Cage's performance. Yes, he's been in some horrendous movies, but I think they often were terrible due to the script more than anything else, and that they actually were dramatically improved by Cage being in them - even if just through his absurdity. I've actually developed somewhat of an obsession with Cage recently. I have not yet seen a movie with him that I haven't enjoyed in some capacity, even if it was terrible in many/all respects. I remember once I saw a list of Cages movies, and, even if the movie sucked, they still included it with a blurb titled "So Cage it's good?"; I think that really sums up the appeal of Nic Cage. He's not the most traditionally talented actor, and he might even be a shitty actor, but regardless he's still fun to watch.

Does anyone else share my love for Cage?

Simulcast 11/29/12 03:54 PM

Bad Lieutenant was awesome. I'm on board. Nic Cage is the man.

blimpcityhero11 11/29/12 03:59 PM

Smash Adams 11/29/12 04:19 PM

DanTGD 11/29/12 04:54 PM

I have never understood this actors success.

Full Effect Ed 11/29/12 04:55 PM

Shoulda been Sups

Full Effect Ed 11/29/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTGD (Post 115902152)

You're too young to understand lol nothing personal

Farva2 11/29/12 05:18 PM

Cage is capable of greatness but he sure does wind up in a lot of silly roles.

mbarney82 11/29/12 05:20 PM

/thread

BuiltToFall 11/29/12 05:32 PM

He was awesome in Raising Arizona and The Weatherman.

deanster321 11/29/12 05:36 PM

popdisaster00 11/29/12 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farva2 (Post 115903302)
Cage is capable of greatness but he sure does wind up in a lot of silly roles.

End of thread. He can be great if he wants to be.

movingxpictures 11/29/12 06:05 PM

I definitely got into a heated argument over this about a month ago. The end result was me realizing I needed to watch more of his movies if I wanted to hate on him.

That being said, he really needs to make better film choices and career moves.

Full Effect Ed 11/29/12 06:11 PM

Seriously, who doesn't love Raising Arizona or Face/Off???

TorontoMatt 11/29/12 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTGD (Post 115902152)

He has good genes. Kinda like Emma Roberts