Kelsi Grammar - 11.29.12
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
1. How did you get your band name?
Me (Anthony) and my singer, Mark, had been playing together for a little while before we even tried coming up with a name, and it was a name I had thought sounded cool while watching an episode of Frasier. Everyone we recorded with told us to change it immediately, but we love it.
2. How did this band get started?
I heard a local bands new song, and at one point in the song Mark did vocals in it. After hearing him I immediately called their guitarist, Tom, and asked him who it was. He told me they had a band together with no drummer, so I went and jammed with them. Mark and I sparked with each other immediately. It was like the best first date ever. We then got our friend patrick to play bass, and sweet tea joined after we recorded our full length as our second guitarist.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
I know you've heard it a million times, but it's all pretty different. I've always been influenced by bands like Motion City Soundtrack and Alkaline trio, Mark loves Death Cab and Cursive, Patrick loves bands like Isis (and Dave Matthews, but we ignore that one) and Sweet-Tea listens to Saves the Day and a bunch of pop-punk.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Honestly, I have no idea. I don't even know what bands we'd make sense touring with. Brand New is a band I think we would all love to tour with.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
We haven't been on tour yet, but while staying at the studio we ate an obscene amount of burritos.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think we bring something different to the table. We are very into being real, and Mark writes some pretty personal lyrics. I think today lyrics have gotten pretty bland and vague, but Mark is very honest in his songwriting. We also write some pretty interesting stuff that we don't see anyone else doing.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I would switch places with Dennis Rodman. No idea what he's been doing lately, but I'm sure it's more exciting than my day to day life.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
If labels didn't always look for a certain format, or what is marketable, that would rule. We understand that's how the business is supposed to run on a major level though, it's just sort of a bummer.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Never been on tour, again, but the first night in the studio Lane, our producer, punched mark in the stomach as a joke and he puked.It was a gnarly mix of Cheese-Its and 4 loko.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I've always checked Absolute Punk religiously, ever since my friend showed it to me two years ago. I love the fact that you guys deliver news on bands that wouldn't be given any attention anywhere else.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I think we all love playing Pissing in the Kitchen Sink the most. It's really energetic, and has some pretty sweet changes in it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Lincoln, Nebraska. That place is nuts during spring break.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
All of us were relatively nerdy as kids. We all bond over old video games.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
My super power would be to be able to make people shit their pants. Mark would kick me out if that became real.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We've never had a stress-less time packing up gear before shows, but the shows always go pretty well. So I guess if we are all freaking out before a show, it's going to rule.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We spend a lot more time choreographing our stage moves than you would believe.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I don't think we would ever be right for radio. We just wish people still bought CDs and gave a shit. A lot of peoples attention spans have gotten pretty low and it seems like they lose interest in things pretty quickly.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
In our spare time Mark and Sweet-tea argue about who can build a bigger fire.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Mark is a wizard at all computer related things, I can light my balls on fire, Patrick is a video gaming god, and sweet-tea is really good at being a closet-redneck.