AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  POZ Presents: Taking Back Sunday Interview (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2974442)

Drew Beringer 12/05/12 03:44 PM

POZ Presents: Taking Back Sunday Interview
 
In a recent interview with PropertyOfZack, Taking Back Sunday noted that they will be renting a house again to demo and write the rest of their record in early 2013. It's unknown if the band is still with Warner.
From The IntervewAdam: Thatís still left to be seen. I donít know if youíve noticed, but rock music isnít doing that well right now because people just steal it. Itís interesting because with pop or country music, thatís still selling well. The demographic isnít stealing as much.
John: Itís also being played on the radio.

Gaugzilla 12/05/12 04:11 PM

Well Mumford and Sons sold phenomenally well and it's close to rock. Bands just aren't releasing stuff that's compelling enough for a lot of people to buy (though I was hoping Japandroids would change that).

Jason Tate 12/05/12 04:52 PM

Feel like record sales remain the wrong way to judge success.

Passion Man 12/05/12 04:56 PM

ugh he sounds like a baby here. maybe rock isn't doing well because it's not as good?

im_FINK 12/05/12 04:58 PM

I mostly agree with you, Jason. And, if I'm reading between the lines here, I think Adam and John would agree too. They do acknowledge their success with the crowds they've drawn on their tour, so that should be enough. What it could be is that they were gauging how much money they would make with Warners. They are being tight-lipped about their record label because they are flirting with the idea of going out on their own, etc., so they aren't going to be forthcoming about the potential of their brand of music until they've committed to this or that.

All around, I'm excited about the direction this band is headed in. They were at their best when I saw them on this past tour. I'd love to hear the demos they've put together.

TorontoMatt 12/05/12 05:25 PM

I don't think there's young bands coming out that are as influential as early tbs and brand new. Thus shitty record sales.

GeeBee 12/05/12 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 116154202)
Feel like record sales remain the wrong way to judge success.

Came in here to say exactly this. Fools and their money are soon parted - pop music to wit.

pantsandjacket 12/05/12 06:05 PM

Writing in the northeast could add a cool vibe to sound of the album. Obviously writing in El Paso influenced the sound of the s/t.

bladerdude360 12/05/12 06:09 PM

*Unknown, not unaware.

jsm158 12/05/12 07:42 PM

Uh, rock music as a whole is actually doing pretty damn well right now. Gotye, fun., Mumford, etc. have all been selling phenomenally in the last year.

Taking Back Sunday's sub-genre, on the other hand, has been dead for quite some time now. Their last couple albums did nothing to prove that they're still relevant. This next album could be their comeback if they play their cards right, but that's highly unlikely. Don't blame "people are stealing rock music" for your label dropping you.

brook183 12/05/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieopiepo (Post 116160472)
Hi buddy :


==== ( http://www.fullmalls.com ) =====

The website wholesale for many kinds of
fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada,****, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.
free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

jordan shoes $32

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15



ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17


puma slipper woman $30

==== ( http://www.fullmalls.com ) =====

a puma slipper woman for the low low cost of $30?

jmm5149 12/05/12 07:56 PM

Quote:

It's unaware if the band is still with Warner.


samlowry09 12/05/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm158 (Post 116161192)
Uh, rock music as a whole is actually doing pretty damn well right now. Gotye, fun., Mumford, etc. have all been selling phenomenally in the last year.

Taking Back Sunday's sub-genre, on the other hand, has been dead for quite some time now. Their last couple albums did nothing to prove that they're still relevant. This next album could be their comeback if they play their cards right, but that's highly unlikely. Don't blame "people are stealing rock music" for your label dropping you.

I would consider those bands pop bands and I mean that in a good way.

Privr005 12/05/12 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samlowry09 (Post 116164192)
I would consider those bands pop bands and I mean that in a good way.

I agree with this. The reason those bands have had hits is because they have crossover pop appeal. Straight forward rock on the other hand hasn't really been selling well. The last huge rock record I can think of was Foo fighters and that was already a year and a half ago.

samlowry09 12/05/12 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Privr005 (Post 116166812)
I agree with this. The reason those bands have had hits is because they have crossover pop appeal. Straight forward rock on the other hand hasn't really been selling well. The last huge rock record I can think of was Foo fighters and that was already a year and a half ago.

Yeah, I would say The Black Keys as well, but thats about it. When you are a "Rock" band your main audience is younger males who are more likely to steal the music they listen to. As opposed to pop bands who attract more women and skew younger and older (these are the people who still pay for music).

Edit: But I will say, I am kinda tired of bands complaining about a problem that is over 10 years old at this point.