AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  ABSOLUTExclusive: Half Hearted Hero Album Premiere (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2999692)

Drew Beringer 01/01/13 10:47 PM

ABSOLUTExclusive: Half Hearted Hero Album Premiere

This is a good one, you guys. When I first heard Half Hearted Hero's upcoming album Whatever a few months ago, I was floored. I don't listen to a ton of pop-punk anymore, but this album had me instantly hooked. So I'm incredibly happy that we're exclusively premiering the album today, which you can stream here. It's bound to be one of 2013's early surprises - it's hard for me to compare it to any band, but I would imagine many of you will dig this, especially if you're a fan of The Wonder Years and the like. The album is set to release on January 15th via Animal Style Records, and you can pre-order it here. Let us know what you think the album in the replies.

codeseven 01/02/13 07:20 AM

Just picked up an LP. Comes with an instant download. Can't express how much I love these guys and how great this album is. Already streamed it 2x on here.

Charlesieiy 01/02/13 07:26 AM

Man this is great. It makes me think Basement X With The Punches (As in their song Harvard On The Hudson). Is it an EP or a proper album, though? It's too short to be an album, but it's a fair shout lengthier than a lot of EPs.

Alex DiVincenzo 01/02/13 07:28 AM

Awesome! Best of 2013 so far ;-)

codeseven 01/02/13 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlesieiy (Post 117221012)
Man this is great. It makes me think Basement X With The Punches (As in their song Harvard On The Hudson). Is it an EP or a proper album, though? It's too short to be an album, but it's a fair shout lengthier than a lot of EPs.

It's a proper album according to Animal Style and HHH. Although the track list and run time (8 songs clocking in at 26m02s) are a bit on the short side, it's still fucking stellar. I don't really care about the length so long as the quality is there. But call it what you will, but I'm just stoked to finally have some music since Running Water.

EndlessPrisoner 01/02/13 08:10 AM

Album is better than almost all pop punk released last year.

ZachMadeMeOdd 01/02/13 08:12 AM

Really happy to see these guys getting some love on the site. Truly awesome band. But, comparing them to TWY? Meh. Band runs circles around them.

Alex DiVincenzo 01/02/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachMadeMeOdd (Post 117222052)
Really happy to see these guys getting some love on the site. Truly awesome band. But, comparing them to TWY? Meh. Band runs circles around them.

There are surely more apt comparisons (A Wilhelm Scream, No Trigger, Strike Anywhere, et al), but I think the TWY reference will get more listeners from our audience - and that's what this band deserves.

Drew Beringer 01/02/13 08:27 AM

I didn't even really compare the band's music to TWY, just said fans of said band would probably dig this

henry chinaski 01/02/13 08:37 AM

Finally!

RyanGarner 01/02/13 08:37 AM

This band continues to have the best guitar work in the genre.

saturday_snow_squall 01/02/13 08:51 AM

wow. this record is flat out ridiculous.

RyanGarner 01/02/13 09:10 AM

Direction may be the best song they've written.

ROSSYNUNES 01/02/13 09:28 AM

These are my #1 dawgs! The record is spot on and I was lucky enough to work on the album/art layout for them. 2013 should be their year! NB Represent.

ZachMadeMeOdd 01/02/13 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 117222482)
I didn't even really compare the band's music to TWY, just said fans of said band would probably dig this

Whenever another band is mentioned in a post about another band it pretty much falls into the RIYL automatically. And I personally am not a fan of TWY but I love me some HHH.

pepster50 01/02/13 11:14 AM

his voice is going to take some time to get used to, but the music itself is great !

jaredohgren 01/02/13 11:18 AM

Still can't believe what happened to his vocals. Serious decline since Running Water.

cubsml34 01/02/13 11:39 AM

I just thought it was ok, but I'll give it a few more listens. The singer's voice just isn't doing it for me

mattregan 01/02/13 12:09 PM

Not really comparable to the Wonder Years... #justsayinnn

suicidalmoose 01/02/13 12:16 PM

I back the TWY comparison, especially because no other pop-punk band would atract as many curious listeners in ap.net as them, and that's what's most important. it's for a noble cause!

Nickisonfire 01/02/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredohgren (Post 117227982)
Still can't believe what happened to his vocals. Serious decline since Running Water.

Exactly my thoughts. Still, the new record is sounding dece.

John Collins 01/02/13 12:40 PM

this album is so good! half hearted hero continues to kill it every time by just getting better with every release. pre-ordered the 12" on purple. can't wait to get it in the mail / go to the release show.

Jaytothesyg 01/02/13 02:57 PM

Pretty good stuff, I'll have to listen a couple more times to get the full effect

TyBreaker 01/02/13 03:07 PM

Vessel is still really heavy hitting haha I love this album

Ollie McKraut 01/02/13 04:01 PM

Listened to this, it didn't really catch my attention--as a big fan of the wonder years. Thinking about listening to Modern Baseball's record, are these two comparable?

Geology Rocks! 01/02/13 05:52 PM

cant get into the vocals

irthesteve 01/02/13 05:58 PM

lots of positive comments in here, guess I gotta give it a shot

irthesteve 01/02/13 06:02 PM

Polar Bear Clubby

emerson1892 01/02/13 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geology Rocks! (Post 117241132)
cant get into the vocals

Musically it sounds fantastic but the vocals aren't doing it for me. It sounds like the singer is hurt or trying to hard to force the "gruff" in his vocals.

RyanGarner 01/02/13 11:20 PM

His voice is a bit different than before but it grows on you with a few listens. I'd rather scratchy and gruff than nasally and whiny.

codeseven 01/03/13 02:57 AM

His voice has definitely become more rough sounding than it was back in Defining Refining, and has literally become more and more tough with every release. But I personally love it. What with this voice and the combination of the music changing slightly - it just gives me the sense of maturing throughout their progress, and for the better. The only thing that I was slightly disappointed with (only slightly) was not the overall length of the release but each individual song was a bit shorter than I'm used to with them. I still hold that Home I & II is my favorite song of theirs and is about 10 mins long if I recall.

On a side note, I've seen these dudes a few times in Wilmington but never had a chance to actually meet up with them. How are they as people? I'm assuming just a bunch of honest hardworking guys but just curious if anyone has ever spoken with them specifically and have anything to say.

sooperdoodey 01/03/13 04:39 AM

It has been too long since absolutepunk has introduced me to new music. This is great.

EndlessPrisoner 01/03/13 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie McKraut (Post 117237862)
Listened to this, it didn't really catch my attention--as a big fan of the wonder years. Thinking about listening to Modern Baseball's record, are these two comparable?

there's absolutely nothing in common, and there's very little in common between this and TWY too.

murta 01/03/13 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeseven (Post 117251712)
His voice has definitely become more rough sounding than it was back in Defining Refining, and has literally become more and more tough with every release. But I personally love it. What with this voice and the combination of the music changing slightly - it just gives me the sense of maturing throughout their progress, and for the better. The only thing that I was slightly disappointed with (only slightly) was not the overall length of the release but each individual song was a bit shorter than I'm used to with them. I still hold that Home I & II is my favorite song of theirs and is about 10 mins long if I recall.

On a side note, I've seen these dudes a few times in Wilmington but never had a chance to actually meet up with them. How are they as people? I'm assuming just a bunch of honest hardworking guys but just curious if anyone has ever spoken with them specifically and have anything to say.

I spoke to a couple of them after their performance at Fest 11 in Gainesville last year. I was pretty stoked, as I'm from the UK and it was my first time seeing Half Hearted Hero (and actually my first time in the States). Then later that night they drove past us and their vocalist Anthony recognised me and shouted me over and I stood talking to them for a good while.

Really cool guys, down to earth and I think very appreciative to meet fans that dig their music and connect with the lyrics.

I was fanboying out big time, but it was one of the highlights of the trip for me (one of the others being meeting David Liebe Hart from Tim & Eric) :D

waybackhome 01/03/13 06:21 AM

We've played a bunch of shows with these guys over the last couple years. Honestly? They're some of our favorite people on the face of the planet. I know every band says this sort of thing about whichever bands they're friends with, but when I tell you that these guys are the biggest sweethearts we've ever met - I mean it. Great dudes with great attitudes towards what they're doing, and they're all very handsome.

WHATEVER is a great release. Very excited to see where this band goes after more people pick up on these new songs.

-Mike/Pentimento

Kyle Thrash 01/03/13 11:42 AM

Drew I like The Wonder Years and I like this so thanks duder

panties_nz 01/03/13 11:45 AM

not long till these guys blow up. such an awesome band

antiradio 01/04/13 08:46 AM

i'm confused on how ap members keep hyping these cd's and i expect something great. there is absolutely nothing special about this cd. yes its decent but i think the older stuff is better.

StartAngry&Mad 01/07/13 07:51 PM

The LP was going to be an automatic order for me, but after giving it a listen, I'm going to wait for it to sink in first. Running Water is one of my favourite EPs of all time, but none of the new songs upon first listen grabbed me like several from it did.

Fish Man Alex 01/08/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murta (Post 117252362)
I spoke to a couple of them after their performance at Fest 11 in Gainesville last year. I was pretty stoked, as I'm from the UK and it was my first time seeing Half Hearted Hero (and actually my first time in the States). Then later that night they drove past us and their vocalist Anthony recognised me and shouted me over and I stood talking to them for a good while.

Really cool guys, down to earth and I think very appreciative to meet fans that dig their music and connect with the lyrics.

I was fanboying out big time, but it was one of the highlights of the trip for me (one of the others being meeting David Liebe Hart from Tim & Eric) :D

haha dude I was at that fest and think I might've met you by their merch table? We talked about the fullblast and wilhelm scream

on the same note: the new HHH is great, I love it more each time I hear it!

BrianBellitto 01/08/13 03:15 PM

best and most sincere people in the world.
whatever is amazing and it bums me that some people don't realize how brilliant their songwriting is.

also please stop labeling them as "pop punk".

SetSailRecords 05/24/13 05:22 AM

Half Hearted Hero liquidation sale going on now at www.setsailrecords.bigcartel.com