AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  My Radio - Starts in the East, Falls in the West (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3002932)

Gregory Robson 01/05/13 07:51 AM

My Radio - Starts in the East, Falls in the West

My Radio - Starts in The East, Falls in the West
Record Label: Self-released via Redeye Distribution
Release Date: Nov. 27, 2012

My Radio is a self-described Southwestern Virginia melodic rock accident, but in listening to their version of pristine pop-rock, there's nothing that resembles an accident at all. This is inherent musicianship that was meant to be heard. Working alongside mega-accomplished songwriter Bleu and Grammy Award-winning producer Ducky Carlisle, Starts in the East, Falls in the West is probably the finest radio record released in 2012 that nobody paid attention to.

Album opener "600 MPH," is a lilting, piano-laden affair that calls to mind Elbow and Starsailor. There's a gradual rise in the song's latter half that makes it more impacting and gravitational, and it is those lifting guitars that make the song so incredibly potent.
From there, it is one home run after the other. "Aliens" is punchy, ringing and full of swagger while lead single "Life is a Bitch Slap," boasts a chorus that is eerily evocative of Coldplay and has a chiming grace that is nothing if not resplendent. he disc's first half ends with the tenacious "Bricks and Mortar," and the pulsing "Life Moves On," and it is in both these tricks that the band shares not only an affinity for immediately accessible melodies but also a sense of bounce and rhythm that induces both hip-shaking and beer-swilling.

The album's second half opens with the celestial "On the Other Hand," a meditative mid-tempo affair that is full of twinkling guitars, soothing vocals and everything that's right about music. While its arguably one of the disc's strongest songs it has some tough competition from its successors. "1,000 Years," has a commercial gloss and sheen that is reminiscent of UK heavyweights Snow Patrol and upstart A Silent Film. That "1,000 Years," is also vocalist JP Powell's finest moment only bolsters the song even higher in repeat listens. Starts in the East, Falls in the West concludes with the sweetly affecting "Take Me to Mars," a near-perfect four-minute slice of pop-rock heaven that evokes late 90s radio rock and the introspective "Something New," a two-minute composition anchored by twinkling bells, an acoustic guitar and saturnine strings.

Though they describe themselves as an accident, the nine tracks on Starts in the East, Falls in the West are anything but haphazard. This is a band with a definitive pulse on how to craft a song and an even firmer grasp on how to make music that reaches the masses. The only accident involved, would be passing up this disc and never listening. Yes, it's that good.

Recommended If You Like Snow Patrol, Vega4, Keane, A Silent Film, Elbow, Starsailor, Coldplay, late 90s radio rock

My Radio is vocals, guitar, songwriting: JP Powell
drums: Hunter Johnson
bass: Jeff Hoffman
guitar: Brett Lemon

Produced by Ducky Carlisle and Bleu

Find Them Here Official Website