AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  E for Explosion - Reinventing the Heartbeat (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=319819)

Rich Duncan 05/19/08 08:37 PM

E for Explosion - Reinventing the Heartbeat

E For Explosion - Reinventing The Heartbeat
Record Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: May 20, 2008

The musical career of Jamison Covington has been somewhat of a whirlwind. At the ripe age of eighteen, Covington and Parker Case signed to Interscope records and quickly developed a rabid following on the strength of the sunny pop tunes that made up their debut EP Notes & Photographs. However, shortly after the release of the slightly more mature debut full-length Sleepwalker was released, the duo decided to end their musical partnership. After a few years of silence, Covington makes his reemergence with a brand new full-length under the new moniker E For Explosion. While it is inevitable that Covington will have to deal with mentions of his previous work in JamisonParker, Reinventing The Heartbeat sends a clear statement that his new project will not simply be a re-tread of his past work.

“Sunday” is the first track on the new album and perfectly exemplifies the growth made since Covington’s days in JamisonParker and the changes he has experienced. The music is much more grandiose than anything from Covington’s past as evident by the walls of fuzzy guitar tones reminiscent of shoegaze greats of yesteryear, one thing that has not changed however is Covington‘s breathy vocal delivery. Even though E For Explosion draws heavily from shoegaze and gloomy pop acts like The Cure, the modern pop elements that made legions of fans flock to JamisonParker still shine through on tracks such as the title track “Reinventing The Heartbeat”, “Behind Every Breath”, and “Paper Flowers Never Die“. “Echoes” is an acoustic ballad that is meant to tug at the heartstrings and serves as a stark contrast to the lush and dreamy soundscapes that dominate Reinventing The Heartbeat.

While a bulk of this disc finds Covington meshing the pop sensibility that made him famous with the influences he grew up on, a few of the tracks show a more varied approach. “Unit 402” is a brooding ballad accentuated by a string section and somber piano melodies while “Antarctica” opens with loud and expansive guitar squalls. The only problem with Reinventing The Heartbeat is the thirteen track and 52 minute runtime. While the record is executed to perfection, it tends to drag a bit in the waning minutes of the album. While I could never really get into JamisonParker because of the at times overly poppy nature of their songs, Covington does an outstanding job of utilizing his talents for writing pop melodies without causing that “rolling of the eyes” moment.

Dave Trumfio (OK Go, Wilco, My Morning Jacket) did an outstanding job producing this album and giving an organic and spacious feel to the tracks on this stellar debut. Reinventing The Heartbeat is a lushly composed album that should not only appeal to fans of Covington’s previous work, but maybe even win over some of his critics. Many of the songs on this album such as “I Explode”, “Reinventing The Heartbeat”, and “See You Soon” are built for late night listening in the warm summer air and I have a feeling they will be enjoyed in that setting. It has been quite a surprise to see how far Jamison Covington has progressed over the years, and Reinventing The Heartbeat sounds like a promise of a very bright future.

Standout Tracks"I Explode", "Reinventing The Heartbeat", and "See You Soon"

RIYLThe Cure, JamisonParker, The Jesus & Mary Chain

ListenMyspace

chrstianrocker 05/19/08 09:53 PM

Good review Rich! Like how you described the ideal setting for the record to be enjoyed in, and the downside being the long runtime... seems like it would run together with that many songs and the consistently shoe-gaziness of the songs... if that makes sense. Still up in the air about getting it. Although I did love Jamisonparker and their breakup was a heartfelt one for me. :-(

DI Pistola 05/20/08 05:52 AM

Really feeling the summer evenings vibes that this record gives off.

Klatzke 05/20/08 06:51 AM

I ran over and listened to the myspace and i'm really not feeling it..
It just seems like the songs all run together.

joshy hizzle 05/20/08 07:15 AM

I never really liked JamisonParker that much, I feel the same about this.

Rich Duncan 05/20/08 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrstianrocker (Post 9466556)
Good review Rich! Like how you described the ideal setting for the record to be enjoyed in, and the downside being the long runtime... seems like it would run together with that many songs and the consistently shoe-gaziness of the songs... if that makes sense. Still up in the air about getting it. Although I did love Jamisonparker and their breakup was a heartfelt one for me. :-(

Thanks for the compliment! It is a solid record, if you liked JamisonParker you should like this as well, it has a similar vibe but just features more of his influences than JP did

anamericangod 05/20/08 11:15 AM

Good review, can't really disagree with much of it. I don't like this album as much as I thought I would (yet) and I'm hoping that changes. Covington has a ton of potential.

matt_rawlings 05/20/08 11:32 AM

Never could get into his vocals or his pretty lame lyrics. Music is nice though

Rich Duncan 05/20/08 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anamericangod (Post 9470289)
Good review, can't really disagree with much of it. I don't like this album as much as I thought I would (yet) and I'm hoping that changes. Covington has a ton of potential.

Thanks for the compliment! I agree. Being a fan of most of the bands he cites as influences, I am interested in seeing how his sound will continue to evolve

anamericangod 05/20/08 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_rawlings (Post 9470442)
Never could get into his vocals or his pretty lame lyrics. Music is nice though

I think the vocals are the low point of this album, I don't mind the lyrics at all. I just get tired of listening to him sound like he's falling asleep or having an asthma attack.

TheGoodnightMoon 05/20/08 11:46 AM

Great Job Rich. This is an awesome album that I will enjoy for months to come. It's almost as if JP never went away, just took a two year break.

laxcrs 05/20/08 11:49 AM

im really not liking the vocals on the majority of tracks. they are hard to hear but i still enjoy it. i guess i need to listen on a good pair of headphones rather then in my car

eucademix 05/20/08 11:51 AM

i'm listening right now and it's very nice to listen to.

AloneInTheDark 05/20/08 12:29 PM

I'm in love with this album. I think the vocals are very fitting for the album, and I think the music is amazing.

jasoneyeball 05/20/08 12:35 PM

niiice