AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Jenoah - 03.11.04 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=35850)

Kamtin Mohager 03/11/04 04:06 PM

Jenoah - 03.11.04

As people can constantly say how all the Drive-Thru Records bands sound alike, they can swallow their words because Jenoah has arrived. The technical, emotion filled band has recently arrived in the scene with a BANG! Their debut EP, Morning Is When Jenoah Wakes Up (which is still available for a FREE download over at DriveThruRecords.com. I highly recommend getting it if you already haven't), was just released and the buzz is just starting to begin. I recently had a chance to speak with Stephen (vocals, bass) about the past and future of the band, the recent signing, touring, and even Boyz To Men. Enjoy!

*Kamtin - Hello! I think this may be one of the bands first interviews, so hooray for us! Anyways, can you let everyone know who you are what you do in Jenoah?

Stephen - Hi. I am Stephen Joshua Martinez, I play the instrument known most commonly as the voice, and a four stringed contraption called the bass. My birthday is in the month of February, and I have a quarter French-Indian in my blood.

*Kamtin - How long has the band been around? Can you give us a brief history of the group?

Stephen - We have actually only been together for a little under a year. Robert Halbert III and I met in the fifth grade. We started fucking around with my tascam four track recorder, and jammed around with other young musicians in the small SoCal town of Yucaipa, which I eventually left, and at one point in time stumbled into Zachary Blizzardo, I mean Blizzard, a drummer for a hardcore band called Traverso. In turn we all moved to Redlands, CA and formed Jenoah, along with Lucky Philip Rodrigues, a guitarists from Sacramento, CA. After only being together for about 6 months, making a solid demo at Love Juice Labs in Riverside, CA, and living in a cramped two bedroom apartment containing the entire band, my sister (luckies girlfriend, mind you) and sometimes my girlfriend we were signed to Drive Thru Records. So far we have recorded a five song e.p. called Morning Is When Jenoah Wakes Up, which is availabe at our shows, and a downloadable version at www.drivethrurecords.com. We just finished shooting a video for the song "Openly" which I love intensly. We are touring the west coast March through April, and we will be joining Allister on an east coast tour in May. And hopefully we will be touring with the RX Bandits through the summer, and we are living in Sacramento now. Thats the word on the street, well my street at least.

*Kamtin - You guys are fairly new to the scene and already have signed to one of the biggest indie labels, Drive-Thru Records. How did all of this happen? When did Richard and Steph get in contact with you guys?

Stephen - Well.... Richard and Stefanie judged a battle of the bands in the town of Redlands a long time ago. I was in a band called Cio Cio San at the time, playing bass and singing back ups. I hated playing the stupid battle of the bands shows, but Cio Cio San ended up winning first place. The band spoke with the both of them, and they told us that our songs were cheesy, and our lyrics were childish. I didnt really give a shit because I wasn't the song writer nor was I the lyricist. Basically the only thing they loved about the band was my voice, which sounds vain, but it's the truth. I later went through a somewhat mutual break up with Cio Cio San, mind you Robert was in the band as well. I stopped playing with bands for about three years and just wandered around northern California and Wyoming, just drinking, and wasting my life away. All I really had was my poetry. Finally my sister decided to move to Wyoming as well, she brought an acoustic guitar, and I started writing a lot of music, and started feeling the need to begin again. I moved back to SoCal got in contact with Drive Thru, showed the some of the songs I had been writing on an acoustic guitar, and they seemed to enjoy it. Rob and I started playing together again, and as soon as Lucky and Zach joined, Jenoah was born. Lucky introduced his spazzy guitar techniches to Roberts almost pianoish full style of playing. Zachary and I are always keeping the rhythm section hopping and almost jazzy if I may say so myself, along with very powerful melodic vocals. How could Drive Thru not want to sign us? Haha!

*Kamtin - The bands sound is definitely different from many of the bands already on the DTR roster. We've seen how many fans have reacted to the sound of Steel Train, wondering why they are even on Drive-Thru because their sound doesn't fit with the rest of the bands (I still don't understand how people can't fall in love with that band). How have the DTR fans responded to you guys so far?

Stephen - We have only played one show on the label, and I feel as though the fans are somewhat intimidated by our sound and style, and presence, and everything. I hope that we can bring some maturity to this label, and hopefully gain much more intelligent fans through that process. I am very happy to be on Drive Thru. Everyone who helps run the label are incredibly nice and easy to work with. I really dont know how most DTR fans feel about Jenoah, and the truth is that I really don't give a fuck. I'm not making this music for fans of DTR. I am making it for fans of good intelligent music.

*Kamtin - When can we expect to see Jenoah start to play shows on a regular basis? Any plans of a tour in the near future?

Stephen - We'll be around.

*Kamtin - What are some albums you guys are digging right now? Any new bands you guys would like to share with the other AP.net readers?

Stephen - I've honestly been digging through my record collection a lot lately, and digging up old albums that mean a lot to me such as; Death Cab For Cutie - The Results Are In And We Are Voting Yes, Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Pearl Jam - Ten, Led Zepplin - Physical Grafittii, Joni Mitchell - Blue, Beach Wood Sparks, Karate - The Bed Is In The Ocean, Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On. New bands that I really enjoy are; 401 Waterman, Mister Metaphor, and Face The Fact is pretty cool, you should check 'em out.

*Kamtin - Where did the name "Jenoah" come from?

Stephen - A dream that Zachary Blizzard had which involved my grandfather Lindell Sansoucie asking him; "can you help me find jenoah?" We later found out that in hebrew the word means to nourish or bring forth. In arabic I believe it means quite the oppossite, to maltreat or something along those lines.

*Kamtin - Though, the EP is still fresh, can we expect to see you guys enter the studio to begin recording your first full length record anytime soon? If so, when do you think it will be released?

Stephen - We will definitely always be writing songs for a full length and I am sure that we will be releasing the record within the year.

*Kamtin - What bands have inspired the sound of Jenoah?

Stephen - I would have to say that Jenoah definitely revolves around very old Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Pink Floyd and I believe that Zachary is very influenced by R&B acts such as Boyz To Men, and
Immature.

*Kamtin - What is the main goal you guys want to achieve with this band?

Stephen - My main goal is to express my self as poetically as possible in any way I can to other people. I can't speak for the rest of the guys. Well, actually I know Zachary's main goal is to meet Bruce Cambell, and some how discover the holy grail.

*Kamtin
- Thank you so very much for your time. Any final words?

Stephen - Woody Allen is a very important figure in American society. I just want everyone to remember that.

Thank you to JP at Drive-Thru Records and Jenoah!

JAX 03/11/04 05:02 PM

I go on record as stating that Da buddah does in fact rule

brothermonk 03/11/04 05:22 PM

"They told us that our songs were cheesy, and our lyrics were childish."

and awaaaaaaaay we gooooo
do do do do do do do do do you know?

311evan311 03/11/04 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brothermonk

mwahahahaha so true... cheesy as hell

Jason Tate 03/11/04 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brothermonk

"we all live in a yellow submarine" - penned by what is known as the best band to ever exist. it drives me crazy when people take one line out of context and try and pass it off as 'horrible lyrics'.

SwedishHeat 03/11/04 06:14 PM

I wish bands would stop talking about how they don't make music for (insert certain group of people here). It doesn't impress me to hear that they don't give a fuck about fans of DTR.

But, hey, if they're living in Sacto now, maybe I can track them down and tell them to their collective face instead of hiding behind an anonymous screen name. And if they're living in Sacto, how come I've never heard of them before they signed to DTR?? I think they're claiming Sacto just to sound cool.

Jentheoptimist 03/11/04 06:33 PM

Why does this remind me of the movie Jay and Silent Bob strike back? Hmm maybe because as you sit their on your computer critiquing Jenoah's lyrics and artistic integrity while doing nothing with your life, contributing to teenage obesity. Hiding behind a "anonymous screen name" I just hope Jenoah can track down every last one of you and kick your a$$, for the sake of "intelligent music"

OurHeartAttack 03/11/04 07:59 PM

Why are Richard and Steph so critical on lyrics or music, when some of their bands don't really excell in that anyway?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the label and all, but really, seems to me that they try to be too hard on things when it shouldn't be.

JAX 03/12/04 03:10 PM

Welcome to the music industry 1% Truth 99% Bullshit. Eh' Whadya gonna do? You know? Enjoy the ride.

MrChainsaw389 03/12/04 10:15 PM

I have to say....the part about not caring about the DTR fans did kinda annoy me....not something you say when you want fans. But the music still awesome

hbmmark 03/14/04 08:53 AM

Here is the deal. I personally don't see screaming in any form of intelligent music. That is all. Jenoah is awesome and I respect what they are doing and Drive Thru is awesome.. blah blah blah blah blah. I still like the band... but I just want somebody to prove me wrong in a way

X__inhope 03/14/04 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate
"we all live in a yellow submarine" - penned by what is known as the best band to ever exist. it drives me crazy when people take one line out of context and try and pass it off as 'horrible lyrics'.

agreed

elevenue 03/15/04 07:12 AM

a few things

this guys seems like an a$$hole. yeh intelligent music is cool and if you want those kind of fans you shouldnt have to brag about thats what kind of music you make, they should recognize it in the first place. i think hes a lot less intelligent than hes trying to make his music sound.

secondly, screaming can be a part of intellgent music depending on how it is used. considering that music is art and a form of expression, if and when extreme anguish is an issue in a song, its appropriate in my opinion

hbmmark 03/15/04 12:00 PM

true true.. I can see where you are coming from with that. I just don't find Jenoah using it in that sort of way OR it just might be that screaming has become so cliche that I have the same opinion for every band that screams... I'll have to give them another listen w/ that perspective in mind.

lackluster 03/15/04 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishHeat
I wish bands would stop talking about how they don't make music for (insert certain group of people here). It doesn't impress me to hear that they don't give a fuck about fans of DTR.

But, hey, if they're living in Sacto now, maybe I can track them down and tell them to their collective face instead of hiding behind an anonymous screen name. And if they're living in Sacto, how come I've never heard of them before they signed to DTR?? I think they're claiming Sacto just to sound cool.

First off dipshit, Why would anyone want to claim sacto to be cool?
Second, I live in Sac and have hung out with Lucky and Zach several times. If you really want to track them down you can see them play a birthday party for a friend of theirs in Davis on Friday at the "Crunk House." I'm not sure of directions, but ask Davis people and i'm sure they'll tell you. As far as not caring, they know that they don't have the "DTR sound" and could care less if DTR fans accept them or not, and I'm positive they'll appreciate it if they do want to expand they're musical taste. Hope to see you at the party. BBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

(Snoochie Boochies)