AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=925922)

Joe DeAndrea 03/08/09 10:32 PM

New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight

New Found Glory Not Without a Fight
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: March 10th, 2009

New Found Glory is a band that needs no introduction.

For many pop-punk acts that have been around as long as New Found Glory, their glory days passed long ago. They've released their one staple album in the scene and with every album afterward, they seem to get progressively worse. It gets to the point where even fans of the band are begging that they call it quits. However, with New Found Glory, each album is another breath of fresh air in a genre saturated with vocoder and neon. The band's Epitaph Records debut, Not Without a Fight, shows just how well they put their competition in a finishing headlock.

The energy filled-opener "Right Where We Left Off" should bring a sigh of relief to those who were hoping for a "return-to-form" type album. After New Found Glory's last full length, Coming Home, in 2006, many were disappointed at the change from fast, catchy, angsty pop-punk to songs with softer melodies that brought on the feeling of autumn rather than summer. Though on Not Without a Fight, it's clear that New Found Glory still haven't lost their way of creating an album with sing-a-long choruses and memorable guitar riffs that fans will love. The lead single "Listen to Your Friends" carries a "My Friends Over You"-esque hook, while "47" could serve as a Sticks & Stones b-side. "Truck Stop Blues" is the obligatory "on the road" song and "Tangled Up" features subtle guest vocals from Paramore's Hayley Williams. Both songs have a Coming Home feel to it while still being the same old New Found Glory. "I'll Never Love Again" has become one of my favorites and will be pleasing to those who were big on NFG's Tip of the Iceberg EP. "Heartless at Best" is another highlight of the album as it's one of the band's strongest songs to date. Finally, "Don't Let This Be the End" continues the cycle of New Found Glory always having a strong closing song to their records.

Lyrically, Not Without a Fight a bit cheesy at times with lines like "If I can't get to you / I'll never love again" and "Your words break me down like a wrecking ball / I'm so sick of it all." Honestly though, the expectations for lyrics on a New Found Glory record shouldn't be so high in the first place. Although they're ridden with love and relationships, they're still blatant and to the point. What I love about their lyrics are that they're relatable and never try to be something they're not. Too many bands try to come up with deep poetic lyrics that they themselves probably don't even understand, but thankfully that's something New Found Glory avoids.

As far as production goes, they couldn't have enlisted a better man than Blink-182's Mark Hoppus. Although Neal Avron would have been great for the job, he still did exceptional on mixing it. The production certainly isn't as raw as Nothing Gold Can Stay but it's nothing too over-produced; it reminds me of the sound from Self-Titled. Not Without a Fight's production is bound to be nostalgic to those who enjoyed New Found Glory in their high-school days.

All in all, New Found Glory is back in the ring with Not Without a Fight and to say that it packs a punch is an understatement. With this album, there's no need to put up a fight, because New Found Glory takes the title by default.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Right Where We Left Off
02) Don't Let Her Pull You Down
03) Listen to Your Friends
04) 47
05) Truck Stop Blues
06) Tangled Up
07) I'll Never Love Again
08) Reasons
09) Such a Mess
10) Heartless at Best
11) This Isn't You
12) Don't Let This Be the End
Produced by: Mark Hoppus

New Found Glory is:
Jordan Pundik - Vocals
Steve Klein - Guitar
Chad Gilbert - Guitar
Ian Grushka - Bass
Cyrus Bolooki - Drums

LinksMyspace - AP Profile - Amazon -

zubinmoosa 03/08/09 10:46 PM

Fantastic review. Fantastic album.

G apostrophe Ra 03/08/09 10:57 PM

I enjoyed this review. Good one, Joe. Not listening to this until tuesday is starting to physically hurt, though. :(

phil19 03/08/09 11:15 PM

nice review. this is quickly becoming my fav nfg album

gr33ndayfr3ak 03/08/09 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G apostrophe Ra (Post 38081942)
I enjoyed this review. Good one, Joe. Not listening to this until tuesday is starting to physically hurt, though. :(

I feel your pain..I've been waiting months to hear this and it's gonna be even more difficult to hold out after reading this.
Nice review, and I'm sure that, after hearing it, I'll agree with you wholeheartedly.

allisterkid 03/08/09 11:43 PM

Fun album that won't go unnoticed. Such a veteran group. Veteran leadership much in the vein of Shane Battier and Yao Ming. Yet with the youth and energy of Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry. And the fact that they've kept all the same members for so long shows that their strong friendship is strong like Ron Artest. This album could be a slam dunk better than even Von Wafer could throw down. These guys will go down as one of the great acts, and could perhaps be the Hakeem Olajuwon of pop-punk!

bobby runs 03/08/09 11:54 PM

I agree with everything except some of the scores and how the production reminds you of S/T. I felt that album was a bit too polished and prefer the production on this.

Little Ferret 03/09/09 12:14 AM

I could never get into these guys. I've always found them too repetitive.

:shrug:

oldskool 03/09/09 12:24 AM

good album. I love all nfg albums. S/t is my favorite album. Truck Stop Blues rules!!

fadedmemories 03/09/09 12:32 AM

This review has said everything that needs to be said.

Quote:

All in all, New Found Glory is back in the ring with Not Without a Fight and to say that it packs a punch is an understatement. With this album, there's no need to put up a fight, because New Found Glory takes the title by default.
:appl:

bobby runs 03/09/09 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadedmemories (Post 38088782)
This review has said everything that needs to be said.

:appl:

So many puns in that.

fadedmemories 03/09/09 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby runs (Post 38089132)
So many puns in that.

Indeed

Cliff Diver 03/09/09 01:09 AM

Well done. Heartless At Best and Tangled Up are two of my all-time favorite NFG songs

stealthpeng 03/09/09 02:24 AM

I was really disappointed by this album on my initial listen through, and my second. I hope that'll change, but I've already decided not to pick up a physical copy for a while. NFG is my favorite standard pop-punk band, and they were also the fist band I saw in concert, so I had high expectations (just like I did when Coming Home was being released) and this album really let me down. Jordan's voice in particular lacks energy and just feels tired. I'm sad to say, but think this is NFG's weakest release... and really, their first truely weak release ever (which is saying something... the band has been around for quite a while now, as you point out).

ilovesofie 03/09/09 05:05 AM

Great album, it grows on you as hell. My favorite song is '47'.