Password

Album Review
Jason Reeves - Caged Birds Set Free EP Album Cover

Jason Reeves - Caged Birds Set Free EP

Reviewed by
Jason Reeves - Caged Birds Set Free EP
Record Label: abeautifularmyoftrees
Release Date: Nov. 15, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Jason Reeves is a hopeless romantic. Period. End of sentence. And if one needs further proof just take a listen to his six song EP Caged Birds Set Free. The disc begins with "Song For a Waitress," which offers up the gentle pluck of an acoustic guitar and Reeves' intimate vocal delivery. There's a suppleness to his timbre that makes for a comfortable listen, even as he spouts off the sappiest of lines. Take for instance this opening salvo that opens the disc, "It's almost like I've never seen the light and you are my first sunrise. Now every night, I wait for you to come and shine away the shadows."

Saccharine stuff for sure, but truth be told, it's what Reeves is best at. "Song For a Waitress," is actually a comfortable and engaging song that borders on autumnal. Aside from the maudlin subject matter, there's little that's wrong about it. The vocals are crisp, the guitar is soothing and the entire landscape of the song is genial and affecting. These sentiments are carried forward throughout the album, including the piano-laden "Bicycle," and the mid-tempo, "Rescue."

Reeves has carved out a multi-platinum career by co-writing many of Colbie Caillat's biggest hits, including but not limited to "Bubbly, " and "Realize." And Caillat returns the favor by dueling on the soothing and gauzy ballad "Wishing Weed." Aided by gentle piano, mournful guitar work and two voices that are as comforting as any in popular music, the song is an absolute home run. On the heels of the Caillat duet is "More Than I Meant To," a crisp and polished ballad that is arguably the disc's best. Profound, timeless and deeply resonant "More Than I Meant To," is just another notch on Reeve's already impressive belt. Caged Birds Set Free ends with "How Many Hearts?," a cello-driven ballad that seems more than ripe for movie soundtracks, Lifetime movies and Grey's Anatomy.

While his tender songwriting can often be too much for some, Reeves is arguably very good at what he does. In an age of carbon copies, cookie-cutter wanna-be's and 99-cent singles, Reeves is at least comfortable enough in his own skin and knows his strengths. While the lyrical content can certainly leave listeners wanting more, the music itself is as first-rate as anything on terrestrial radio, and his voice is truly something to behold.

Score another one for the hopeless romantics.

Recommended If You Like Matt Wertz, Matt White, Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers, Colbie Caillat

Find Him Here http://www.jasonreeves.com

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
09:24 AM on 11/21/11
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can agree with almost all of the review except the lyrics rating. A 6.5? This guy writes poetry and turns it into music, and this EP is no exception. His songwriting is the strongest part imo. At the end of the day, another great release from Jason.
03:20 PM on 11/21/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Nice succinct review, Gregory. This sounds right up my alley. Thanks!
09:06 PM on 01/12/12
browneyedbutz
User Info.
Checked this out based on your review. Awesome write up, I dig the album. Thanks!
06:01 AM on 03/24/12
kurtdaniel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice cool sounds from Jason.. :) I really love the sound of its piano background.. hope my father gives me some piano teaching for this album..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos