AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Smashing Pumpkins, The - Gish: Deluxe Edition Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 100%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 4
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Average: 60%

Smashing Pumpkins, The - Gish: Deluxe Edition

Reviewed by: OnaedInSpace (01/08/12)
The Smashing PumpkinsGish: Deluxe Edition

Record Label: Virgin Records
Release Date: November 29th, 2011

The beginning; again. Gish upon its initial release was just what the Chicago music scene had needed, and it arguably came just at the right time for not just the teenagers of the city scene but the whole alternative movement. The Smashing Pumpkins was a band made up of socially awkward nerds, who wanted to make self indulgent music; filled with guitar and drumming solos, and prophetic lyrics. But from their point of view they didn’t quite have the skills to successfully undertake their aims just yet. Billy Corgan (equipped with hair) set out from here to moan his way out from the small sweaty back alley clubs to superstardom; and it happened pretty quickly for this alternative set up once the vibe was picked up on and truly realised. Having failed to initially ignite with the use of a drum track, Billy Corgan, James Iha and D’arcy Wretzky completed the infamous line up when they were finally joined by trained jazz drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. Gish however was by no means a game changer for the music industry in 1991, and only with time has it gained the significance it deserves. But how exactly does it weight up with this 2011 version?

With this re-master and b-side edition, pretty damn well. Album opener “I Am One” with its always impressive drumming intro sounds no different initially, but once the strumming begins you will quickly realise that these re-masters are a welcome addition to the Smashing Pumpkins repertoire. Corgan’s vocal delivery is eternally a matter for discussion, but on these early tracks it sounds as fresh as it ever could be. Debut single “Siva” similarly doesn’t sound too different but the production does for the first time place each of the instruments on an equal footing, and this is demonstrated a lot better on efforts like the dreamy “Tristessa” and the D’arcy led “Daydream”. “Daydream” comes across as a complete overhall with the track being closer to a polished shoegaze version of a My Bloody Valentine track. The violin streams are now a lot more intimate and simultaneously important to the track. “Bury Me” is still dirty, “Rhinoceros” is still clean and “Crush” is now a headphone essential track; this all seems to be a success so far.

The problem then must come with the b-side and outtake material? The deluxe edition includes 18 previously never heard or widely available in one place tracks. Opener “Starla (2011 Mix)” drawls on for eleven minutes and newcomers to the track will surely be blown away by the quality of a song which couldn’t make the original album. Some live or alternative versions of almost all the album tracks do appear here too, but they are never repetitive to the original and always bring something new to the table. Billy Corgan was extremely meticulous when picking these and it truly shows. Other notable track editions include “La Dolly Vita (Sub Pop Single/2011 Mix)”, “Pulseczar (Gish Sessions Demo)”, “Blue” and “Honeyspider (Reel Time Demos)” which were early fan live favourites from the time. “Seam (Suffer/Apartment Demo)” also gives an intimate early live experience to the album track which sounds about as successfully intimate as it can get from the world of bedroom demos. “Drown (Alt. Guitar Solo)” closes off the bonus cd with an eight minute experience that is hard to describe as anything other than pure unadulterated pleasure. If these album re-releases continue with this standard of quality for the entirety of the project, then current Smashing Pumpkins fans are honestly about to be the most rewarded and content fans possibly ever to engage with a re-release campaign. This edition of Gish is truly flawless.

www.smashingpumpkins.com

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
09:24 AM on 01/15/12
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
I have never given ANY album or band anywhere near a full score before. Albums can only get a full score with age in my opinion. This site gives far too many, so feel free to criticize me.
11:43 AM on 01/15/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Got the box set for Christmas. It made me realize just how insanely great this album is. Snail and Crush are phenomenal.
12:24 PM on 01/15/12
iseeumonkey
User Info.
I bought both the Gish and Siamese Dream box sets. It's worth it for the album alone. The b-sides are great. The DVD is phenomenal. SP gives an energy unlike any other band live.
01:55 PM on 01/15/12
ugman_2000
May your music break my ear drums
User Info.
Planning on picking this up when I get paid at the end of the month. Got the Siamese Dream box set for Xmas & it's a ridiculosly good box set where you can see all the extra effort they put in. I can't wait for all the others to follow.

Starla & Drown are such good b-sides
02:49 PM on 01/15/12
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Pumpkins are my favorite band, but Gish has always been their album I've listened to the least, don't really have a reason for that though. I'd get this if I had the money to shell out :(
02:51 PM on 01/16/12
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
Pumpkins are my favorite band, but Gish has always been their album I've listened to the least, don't really have a reason for that though. I'd get this if I had the money to shell out :(
What order do you guys hold their albums in order of quality?

Mellon Collie>Gish>Siamese>Machina I>Zeitgeist>Adore>>>>>everything else.

I think Machina part 1 should really get a lot more love. Yeah, it was about 20 minutes too long but there are some really great tracks on there. I cannot wait to hear the Machina double album re-release. That is going to be the highlight of this whole release thing for a lot of people.

Also, did you follow SPRC?
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2564172
06:13 PM on 01/16/12
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
What order do you guys hold their albums in order of quality?

Mellon Collie>Gish>Siamese>Machina I>Zeitgeist>Adore>>>>>everything else.

I think Machina part 1 should really get a lot more love. Yeah, it was about 20 minutes too long but there are some really great tracks on there. I cannot wait to hear the Machina double album re-release. That is going to be the highlight of this whole release thing for a lot of people.

Also, did you follow SPRC?
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2564172
Dude Machina 1 is my second favorite album of theirs. My list goes

Mellon Collie>Machina 1>Siamese Dream>Adore>Machina 2>Gish>Zeitgeist
03:22 AM on 04/14/12
kurtdaniel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Big fan of "Gish". The opening drum riff is so solid . . . I think Jimmy Chamberlain was in Dave Grohl's league as a drummer. He is my inspiration for my drum lessons..
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests