Username
Password

11:21 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
How often are you working out the same muscles? It could be that you're giving them too much rest, because you shouldn't be getting that sore if your muscles are used to regular exercise.
I just started going to the gym on Monday with my brother, and he put me through a shoulders/chest workout. He's big into this stuff, so he knows what he's doing. Nothing really felt too heavy, but maybe I'm just grossly out of shape, or it hurts so bad cause it was my first session?
11:27 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
8-12, depending on how heavy I'm lifting.
Alright, well that's good. That's how many reps you should be doing. I guess in that case, i'd bump down the weight slightly on the exercises that you're doing 8 reps on. Bump it down slightly for those and do like 9 or 10 reps instead of 8. I think that should help. It doesn't sound like the reps are the problem to me, it sounds like the weight is a little too heavy.
Anyway, hope this helped man. It sucks to be so sore you don't wanna workout the next time.

Edit: Also, i just saw that you said you just started working out again with your brother. I'm always pretty sore the first week after taking a long break, but stick with it. After you get a couple weeks under your belt it gets easier and easier.
11:32 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Alright, well that's good. That's how many reps you should be doing. I guess in that case, i'd bump down the weight slightly on the exercises that you're doing 8 reps on. Bump it down slightly for those and do like 9 or 10 reps instead of 8. I think that should help. It doesn't sound like the reps are the problem to me, it sounds like the weight is a little too heavy.
Anyway, hope this helped man. It sucks to be so sore you don't wanna workout the next time.

Edit: Also, i just saw that you said you just started working out again with your brother. I'm always pretty sore the first week after taking a long break, but stick with it. After you get a couple weeks under your belt it gets easier and easier.
Right. I'll do that. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow or the day after, so I'll go back and try it with less weight.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm new to all this, so I'm trying to figure out how to do it all properly without fucking my body up, haha. I appreciate it.
11:34 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Right. I'll do that. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow or the day after, so I'll go back and try it with less weight.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm new to all this, so I'm trying to figure out how to do it all properly without fucking my body up, haha. I appreciate it.
Anytime man! I used to be big into working out junior/senior year of high school and just got back into going to the gym every other day recently. I can definitely relate with what you're going through, haha.
11:36 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 23 Years Old
I just started going to the gym on Monday with my brother, and he put me through a shoulders/chest workout. He's big into this stuff, so he knows what he's doing. Nothing really felt too heavy, but maybe I'm just grossly out of shape, or it hurts so bad cause it was my first session?

There we go, haha. After your second and third sessions of doing the same muscle groups, you'll probably barely be sore at all.
11:56 AM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Anytime man! I used to be big into working out junior/senior year of high school and just got back into going to the gym every other day recently. I can definitely relate with what you're going through, haha.

Haha, makes sense. I used to go occasionally, but I never had any idea what I was doing, and gave up pretty quickly. This time I'm trying to stick with it though. More or less looking to burn body fat more than anything, but I know building muscle makes that process a lot easier.

There we go, haha. After your second and third sessions of doing the same muscle groups, you'll probably barely be sore at all.

Haha, hopefully. My lower half never seems to hurt at all when I work those muscles, just my upper body. I guess my lower half is probably stronger because of how much walking I do? Who knows, haha.
12:08 PM on 02/23/12 
User Info.
JoshSalas
Ontario
Male - 23 Years Old
Haha, hopefully. My lower half never seems to hurt at all when I work those muscles, just my upper body. I guess my lower half is probably stronger because of how much walking I do? Who knows, haha.

They're used to being under some stress so yeah pretty much. The worst imo is really sore abs haha, because literally every motion you could do hurts.
09:09 AM on 02/24/12 
User Info.
brentkid
I am no king.
Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
Any tips to help reduce the soreness after a workout? I seem to be in a ton of fucking pain almost every time, lasts 3-4 days usually.
Nutrition is more important than the actual workout. There's no guaranteed way to prevent soreness but having a post-workout meal is super important and can help your recovery. Ideally you want some whey protein and simple carbs like white bread. If you don't have that, chocolate milk is also excellent.

I'm a bit of a meathead myself so if you have any questions ask away. Happy to help a cod buddy out haha.
12:57 PM on 02/27/12 
User Info.
rollerman4221
Woof!
Orlando, FL
Male - 24 Years Old
For last 10 or so comments about getting back into it after a break or never lifting and being super sore. Its probably lactic acid buildup in your muscles. Bad news: only way to really get rid of it is to keep lifting.

enjoy!
06:52 PM on 02/28/12 
User Info.
Keri
Has anyone ever done water fasting? I've been reading about it and plan on beginning soon, there is just a good amount of preparation. I would like to do this for the purpose of detoxing my body and then getting into a system of not eating such horrible foods. I know it will take so much discipline, but I think it will be totally worth it. The health benefits are supposed to be amazing.
10:23 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
imirish06
Adam.
PA
Male - 30 Years Old
Fasting, in all shape and forms... is bullshit.
10:30 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
imirish06
Adam.
PA
Male - 30 Years Old
As for soreness after lifting, you're going to have that, to a point.

Lifting weights is actually a pretty brutal thing. DOMS(Delayed onset muscle soreness) is due to your muscles being torn apart(that's what happens when you lift). As you rest and eat up, your muscle rebuilds itself stronger and bigger.

If you're new to lifting weights, the pain and duration is usually longer, but you could be lifting weights for 10 years and still experince some form of DOMS(or you should). It's a nice indicator of a productive workout because it shows you actually worked the muscle well enough for it to rebuild.

You need to be able to judge what is DOMS or what is just a plain out muscle strain though. DOMS should go away as you start exercising again because of the blood going into the muscle and what not.
10:37 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
Getup and Dance
It's the Diggy Diggy Doc Yall.
Seattle, Wa
Male - 28 Years Old

I have heard a lot of good things about intermittent fasting and a lot of people show it works.

Its really good if you like to eat big meals for a short period of time.

http://www.leangains.com/
11:29 AM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
brentkid
I am no king.
Jersey
Male - 25 Years Old
LeanGains says hi.

i'm a product of it and it's the probably the most effective dieting practice i've ever encountered.
01:30 PM on 03/01/12 
User Info.
imirish06
Adam.
PA
Male - 30 Years Old
Leangains isn't even a true fast. Martin clearly states that you need to eat, and eat big when you do.

And Leangain also doesn't boost any sort of "fast to detox your body" bullshit.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos