Password
This Thread is Closed.

12:42 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
It definitely seems like an odd case anyway you look at it though. I mean, an entire bus?

I guess given the type of people who ride the bus, how they all know each other, and a few other factors I'm not too shocked, but it was still upsetting. It wasn't a large bus or anything like that. I know it's naive, but it sucks being reminded that there will always be hateful/ignorant people no matter how much people like to act like we're past that kind of stuff.
07:23 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
ChaseTx
I don't know. Telling someone that they look like a Japanese girl just because she made the peace sign doesn't seem to make logical sense to me.
It's silly, but I wouldn't take offense.
07:59 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
Mustang, Oklahoma
Male
That is so messed up. Im sorry about that.

omg aw, I'm sorry. Most people don't know I'm Mexican unless I tell them (I'm only half-Mexican and pretty pale so regardless of my last name people assume I'm from Italian descent) but when people find out they always say the most offensive jokes. Like, the types of jokes they don't even realize are offensive and they're genuinely trying to be funny and it makes me so uncomfortable. I've never gotten anything so blatant though.

Not racist, but the other day while I was riding the public bus a group of people were talking about a police officer named Officer Dagget, and they all started laughing and chiming Officer F***** . Like, the entire bus was chanting it super loudly. I was horrified.

Typically that type of stuff doesn't bother me. I usually have a thick skin when it comes to that. My friends tell me Mexican jokes and I just brush them off, and I hear slurs down the hallway at school from time to time, but nothing like this.
09:30 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
chipdip18
I was afraid I'd eat your brains.
I guess given the type of people who ride the bus, how they all know each other, and a few other factors I'm not too shocked, but it was still upsetting. It wasn't a large bus or anything like that. I know it's naive, but it sucks being reminded that there will always be hateful/ignorant people no matter how much people like to act like we're past that kind of stuff.

Yeah. Maybe we can take a radical eugenics approach and weed them out? Hahaha. But that would be intolerance to the intolerant and fighting fire with fire. Not good. Bad joke, sorry.

It's silly, but I wouldn't take offense.

To each his own I guess.

Typically that type of stuff doesn't bother me. I usually have a thick skin when it comes to that. My friends tell me Mexican jokes and I just brush them off, and I hear slurs down the hallway at school from time to time, but nothing like this.

It's stupid that you can to live in a world where you have to put up with that stuff anyway. How often do you hear slurs and stuff on a daily basis?
09:37 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Caleb Cabrera
gooby pls
Mustang, Oklahoma
Male
Yeah. Maybe we can take a radical eugenics approach and weed them out? Hahaha. But that would be intolerance to the intolerant and fighting fire with fire. Not good. Bad joke, sorry.

To each his own I guess.

It's stupid that you can to live in a world where you have to put up with that stuff anyway. How often do you hear slurs and stuff on a daily basis?
1-2 times a day. They aren't directed at me personally, but to the latino population as a whole.
11:05 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
chipdip18
I was afraid I'd eat your brains.
1-2 times a day. They aren't directed at me personally, but to the latino population as a whole.

I'm sorry man. After taking classes about racism at this University, I'm really ashamed of all the dumb jokes I thought were funny in high school. Taking culture classes really helped me out, I wish others would take similar classes and that they'd have similar effects. I'm not perfect, but at least I've recognized my errors.
12:56 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Dicebox
magnificentdefeat.bandcam p.com
Cebu, Philippines
Male - 24 Years Old
I don't post a lot, but I've read a majority of this thread. I want to thank you guys and especially Love As Arson for helping me understand more of the depth and real life issues of racism happening today. I lead a small group of 7-9 junior/senior high school guys at my church. Last night we talked about how a kingdom, divided against itself cannot stand. The topic of racism came up and I was able to shape the conversation around many of the topics you guys bring up. There is one African American student in the group and he is often painted as "the whitest black guy I know" among other things by his friends. We were able to talk about how inherently racist that was and hear from him on how it makes him feel. I really feel like the other guys in the group had a change in heart after the discussion. So be encouraged guys, your conversation here does good.
01:11 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Can't believe I haven't posted this link here yet.

Yes, this website exists...really

If you really want a good laugh, go to the message board and read your favorite NFL teams message boards.....lmao
04:34 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old

I couldn't bring myself to read the replies, but I did respond. I doubt it will make an impact on the discussion, though.
05:26 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
Can't believe I haven't posted this link here yet.

Yes, this website exists...really

If you really want a good laugh, go to the message board and read your favorite NFL teams message boards.....lmao
lol "the opium of white dispossession"
05:27 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
this is even better:

Quote:
. We respect the fact that blacks make good football players. But we believe that by looking at football and sports overall through an objective lens rather than simply accepting the propaganda slant of the media, it is clear and obvious that whites are just as good as if not better athletes than blacks. To give just one example, even though whites are only 10 percent of the world’s population, they win over 90 percent of the medals at the Winter Olympics and over 70 percent of the medals at the Summer Olympics, including many medals in sprinting and jumping.
05:47 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
The psychological effect of racism:

When discussing having children with my partner, she began crying and decided that we shouldn't have them, since they could be subject to random acts of violence like the situation in Florida, where a black teenager was murdered by a white neighborhood watch captain because he was suspicious.
08:23 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Xuut
Always carry a towel
Canada
Female - 19 Years Old
My brother has told my Chinese immigrant mother (who doesn't speak English well) a billion times that "n*gga" and "n*gger" are two totally diffrerent things. He is a skinny, tall, Asian male who thinks he's the shit and goes around saying things like that around my seven year old brother and nine year old sister and my twelve year old sister.

The to promptly claim he's "not racist" because "it's the truth". He's 18. And wanted to be a lawyer.

The funniest thing ever was the one time we were in downtown Toronto and he was going on in the car about n-bombs and how awful they are and then we stop by a curb and there's this big black guy around the corner and instantly my brother shuts up.

God damn cowardice prick.
09:13 PM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
If anyone is really bored and wants a somewhat global reaction to the use of the n word by a prominent member of a community... starcraft (the video game) recently had one. The gaming community is constantly filled with homophobic and racist remarks, but starcraft has a weird sort of tradition of "manner" which is kind of like manners in the real world. So certain actions are bad manner (flipping your opponent off) and others are good manner (shaking hands with the person who just beat you). -orb- was a person initially known for being bad mannered and whining constantly on his stream about two and a half years ago. His gameplay improved greatly and he was hired by the gaming team EG to cast games and was apparently completely professional and did an excellent job of casting. The a few days ago he was playing a game online and called someone a n****** and tried to cover it up. It's kind of fascinating to me even though I barely follow the sc2 scene anymore.

Here's the thread where his actions are detailed :
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=318860

Here's the thread where his boss justifies firing him (he claims that he would have fired anyone who had used the n word due to his background in african-american studies). : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=319018

Adding in to the complexity of all of this is that EG's star player (Idra/Greg Fields) has called people a ****** many many times, even during tournament matches, but hasn't been fired.

The number of people defending orb in both threads is... depressing. SC2 has a truly global community and this incident is a sad indicator of the current state of racial relations as people from numerous countries defend Orb.

edit : It basically boils down to whether or not a person's actions outside of their professional life should be held against them. Orb claimed that he had friends who used his account for the most recent incident and that he hadn't raged like that in over two years (he still maintains this, but there is a lot of evidence against his claim). EG claimed they would fire anyone who had ever used the n-word in such a context at any point in their lives so that his defense of "these cases happened two years ago" was not sufficient grounds.
05:33 AM on 03/11/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
This is a tragedy of the society, enjoy is really, and buy yourself the best

Well said, frwushen. Well said.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives