Username
Password

08:19 PM on 01/17/12 
User Info.
InkFingers
Gilbert, AZ
Male - 24 Years Old
Hey there,

my band and I have been playing shows for about a year now, just kind of seizing opportunities as they come up, and mostly playing some pretty small bars and clubs. This experience has been great, but this year, I want to take it to the next level by not only making a more deliberate effort toward it, but also by playing higher-profile venues, and playing alongside well-established, well-followed bands, both local and touring through. I was wondering if you all had any insights on good tactics when it comes to contacting venues and artists.

-What do you put into your press kit? Do you even make a physical press kit at all?
-Emails, phone calls, or show up to the venue in person?
-If you are sending emails, what do you feel are good guidelines for a quality message?

Basically I'm just wondering how best to go about getting my foot in some different, fairly significant doors. I'm not talking about playing alongside superstars, but bands with some acclaim in the indie world.

Any and all suggestions and discussions are welcome.

Thanks.
01:14 PM on 01/18/12 
User Info.
jroddxd
I BATTLE THIS ALONE
Las Vegas
Male - 23 Years Old
My friend's band have been doing this lately. They're a hardcore band, and what they've been doing is hitting up other hardcore bands, whether it be directly or through a booking agent, and trying to set up a show for them to pass through our town. It's always good to have a guarantee (ticket sales or money), and fill or succeed that guarantee. From there, I think it's just playing bigger shows and getting your name out locally, then trying to get out of state shows here and there. Try to make as many connections as possible to, whether it be bands or booking.
03:49 PM on 01/18/12 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
This whole thing was unstoppable
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
Book touring bands in your home town yourself, and put your band on the bill. Tour, make friends, etc. Don't do any pay-to-play crap.
10:51 AM on 01/19/12 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
Book touring bands in your home town yourself, and put your band on the bill. Tour, make friends, etc. Don't do any pay-to-play crap.

This is definitely the way to start. The bottom line is: promoters for these type of shows are trying to pack the house so they don't lose money. if you're busting your ass playing lots of shows, it shows that you're hardworking and theoretically can draw a crowd. That's way more important than a slick press kit, good recording or well written email. More often than not, the hardest working bands who play out regularly are the ones who get those shows and for good reason.

In my opinion, the best way to get "high profile gigs" is to get in good with the promoters in your area. They're the ones bringing those shows there so why not go to the source? Aside from the importance of doing it yourself and having fun playing with out of town bands, booking your own out of town bands makes you look way more legit to promoters and can help create a good working relationship with them. It may start where a promoter says "here's this small show someone wants to play here, do you think you guys could book it because i'm too busy" but if you do a good job there, they might see you as a band they can rely on to open up a bigger more important show.

Also, if possible, always try to deal with them in person. You have to remember, if a promoter is putting on big shows, they're probably getting a ton of emails/facebook messages/texts/phone calls from bands just like yours wanting to play them. Those are super easy to ignore or lose. From personal experience in playing shows, the best way to get something done is to do it in person. By putting a face on your band, you make yourself more memorable than the tons of bands who didn't. You also show that you're confident enough in your band's skills to put a face to it. More importantly, putting a face to your band shows that you're willing to take responsibility for your band rather than hiding behind a screen name or facebook account. All of that is pretty important to a promoter.
02:06 AM on 01/22/12 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm assuming that this stuff works different here in the toledo, Ohio area than it does in most other parts of the country. We have a company here called Verso Group that brings in 90% of the shows worth going to in the area and all you really have to do is say "hey, i'm in a band and we want to play open the show you just announced" and you're on it.

I've seen locals open for bands like The Devil Wears Prada in the past who have never even played a live show before that night.
06:21 PM on 01/30/12 
User Info.
silencer eleven
No Avatar Selected
Temecula
Male - 26 Years Old
I think its always good to try and develop a following in your area. Then you trade shows in other markets. Basically saying you can come play to our draw and we will go play to yours. Also, if you have a solid draw, getting put on support on a bigger show happens frequently.
12:11 PM on 01/31/12 
User Info.
TooShort4
The
Ohio
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm assuming that this stuff works different here in the toledo, Ohio area than it does in most other parts of the country. We have a company here called Verso Group that brings in 90% of the shows worth going to in the area and all you really have to do is say "hey, i'm in a band and we want to play open the show you just announced" and you're on it.

I've seen locals open for bands like The Devil Wears Prada in the past who have never even played a live show before that night.
I hate verso group. I'm right by toledo, near sandusky. my old band pelican express came in contact with verso group right when we first started, and they got us on some great shows at frankies with bands like we are the in crowd, breathe carolina and afroman. we played this one show at headliners booked through verso, and we got in a conflict with them there. shitty people but they gave us a chance on some great shows.
05:55 PM on 02/27/12 
User Info.
Jaer007ll
No Avatar Selected
Female - 32 Years Old

Thanks
09:46 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
ducklights
Dallas, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
if you bring kids, people will come to you. just promote and make your band a cult.
12:22 PM on 03/12/12 
User Info.
gibsonisabull
No Avatar Selected
New York, NY
Male
team up with a variety of different bands and make a strong effort to personally meet a lot of their fans/friends
01:32 AM on 03/13/12 
User Info.
aaron2012
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
I think it's just playing bigger shows and getting your name out locally, then trying to get out of state shows here and there.
05:41 PM on 03/13/12 
User Info.
Lancelot28
No Avatar Selected
Female - 28 Years Old
My friend's band have been doing this lately. They're a hardcore band, and what they've been doing is hitting up other hardcore bands, whether it be directly or through a booking agent, and trying to set up a show for them to pass through our town.
08:41 PM on 03/13/12 
User Info.
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
Memphis, TN
Male - 21 Years Old
If you want to play with bigger bands in your area:
1. Make sure your band sounds at least decent.
2. Become friends with the local talent booker, knowing the right people is what got my band to open for Motion City Soundtrack, Lovedrug, etc.
03:25 PM on 03/29/12 
User Info.
tanzor711
No Avatar Selected
Male - 18 Years Old
Its honestly all about connections and knowing the right people. In the dallas scene, there are alot of promoters that honestly don't know what they are doing, always be on the look out for frauds but yea I agree with everyone else here
09:35 PM on 03/30/12 
User Info.
Frances69
No Avatar Selected
Female - 25 Years Old

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos