Username
Password

11:27 AM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
Bismarck, North...
Male - 30 Years Old
Drinking a home brew oatmeal stout right now. My husband and I have been doing it for years. My favorite part is the first couple of days of fermentation when our whole apartment smells like a brewery. So good!

I'm glad I'm not the only married punker who likes to brew. If you weren't married, you'd be powerless to my charm.

...and if that didn't work, my homebrew might.

I think brewing your own beer could be so fun.

It is. It might seem like a lot of work right away, but after you figure out what you're doing it's easy and entertaining. Plus, it's better than most other shitty hobbies.

For the people that having been doing it awhile, are you doing the whole proccess with malts and hoops or doing them simple with a hopped malt extract. I'm trying to gradually take things to the next level.

I'm brewing all-grain. To be honest, it's not hard. If you've done an "extract with steeping grains" beer before then you could probably do an all-grain batch of beer. You might need a couple pieces of equipment but the technique isn't difficult. The most important part of making good beer is having a good fermentation. Make sure you've got enough yeast, make sure they get enough oxygen, and make sure the temperature of the liquid during fermentation is where it should be (that depends on the yeast and style of beer).

Also, check out The Brewing Network if you want more information. They do live radio shows and podcasts about brewing beer. Some of the episodes are more straight brewing knowledge and some are more entertainment and brewing information, but they're all good and have great information about brewing.
01:03 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
aboyandhiscurse
praise the sun
unfortunately, nj
Male - 24 Years Old
damn i wanna try this so bad.
01:29 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
Lemont/Chicago
Male - 21 Years Old
My buddy brewed a decent pale ale a few months back for my birthday party. Not a fan of pale ale in general but it seemed alright.
05:25 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
beth danger
It's a bird! It walked on my pillow
Madison, WI
Female - 29 Years Old
I'm glad I'm not the only married punker who likes to brew. If you weren't married, you'd be powerless to my charm.

...and if that didn't work, my homebrew might.

Hmm... made anything good lately?

I kind of wish we had a Mr. Beer or some sort of smaller scale brewing equipment. We brew 5 gallons at a time, which is fantastic if it's a good batch, but I wish we could get through it faster so we could try different styles and experiment more.
10:13 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
G.B.
No one else will have me, only you.
Cambridge, MA
Male - 31 Years Old
Home-brew is where it's at.

I've made multiple batches of beer and have now turned my hand to making alcoholic cider. Spent a while in the UK and gradually fell in love with the stuff. Seriously easy to do, just a bit of an effort making the apple juice to begin with. Whole lotta apples.

Comes out awesome though!
10:44 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 27 Years Old
My beer tastes almost like a beer-wine combination. It has a very sweet, tart kind of taste. Reminds me a bit of a Blue Moon, but even sweeter.
08:02 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
Bismarck, North...
Male - 30 Years Old
Hmm... made anything good lately?

I kind of wish we had a Mr. Beer or some sort of smaller scale brewing equipment. We brew 5 gallons at a time, which is fantastic if it's a good batch, but I wish we could get through it faster so we could try different styles and experiment more.

A company called Better Bottles makes 3-gallon fermentors so you could just ferment in that instead of a larger fermentor. Then, just scale your recipes down to about one half of what you would typically put in.

What I do every now and then is brew a larger batch (12-ish gallons) and split it between a bunch of fermentors with different yeasts and hops in the fermentors. You'll get the same type of beer with different yeast and hop flavors in each one.

...and yes, I've made something good lately. To be honest, it's been a long time since I made a bad batch...
08:35 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 23 Years Old
Pretty sure the important part of homebrewing is testing flavors and making something taste great. If your biggest worry is getting drunk, why waste money and a month of your time to get average tasting beer when you could go out and do that in under an hour?
05:10 PM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 27 Years Old
Pretty sure the important part of homebrewing is testing flavors and making something taste great. If your biggest worry is getting drunk, why waste money and a month of your time to get average tasting beer when you could go out and do that in under an hour?

Haha, I'll honestly probably never home brew again. I only did it because I had the kit so I figured I might as well give it a shot. Mostly it's too much time and effort for me, and all I usually care about when I drink beer is getting drunk. I'm about as anti-beer snob as a person can get--if it's getting me drunk I'll have a smile on my face, whatever the taste.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos