Username
Password

10:40 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
Thought this was going to be about lesbian experimentation, disappointed.

11:41 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
EnZo
Marklar
Wisconsin
Male - 23 Years Old
never took the roommate plunge...never really meshed with the people on my floor or suit either...single dorm is where its at, don't regret that choice one bit
11:41 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
xsandwichesx
Back from hiatus
Columbus, OH
Male - 25 Years Old
I live in a house off campus with 5 other guys, barely talk to any of them.
11:45 PM on 03/21/12 
User Info.
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
Seattle
Male
I got along ok with my first dorm roommate my freshman year, though it quickly became clear we weren't a good fit even as friends. I've barely talked to him since that first year.

But my second dorm roommate the summer quarter right after my first year was a piece of shit. The first time I met him was when I'd come back to the dorm after visiting my parents for the day. I walked in and he was sleeping, but this was how that first interaction went:

Me: Hey, sorry to wake you. Name's Tony.
Him: Hey, I'm Jason.
Me: Cool, nice to meet you.
Him: Yeah, you too. Hope you don't mind, but I took a look at your music on your computer. You listen to some good stuff.
Me: Oh yeah? Right on.
Him: Yeah, I'm just glad I didn't get stuck with a gay queer f****t who listens to gay music.
Me: (stunned silence)

That was literally the longest conversation he and I had that entire summer. But from the bits and pieces I picked up over those months, he was a homophobe (clearly), a racist (which didn't mesh well with the fact I had a Filipino girlfriend), a misogynist, and he had a habit of buying CDs from a local shop, making a copy of it, and then returning it for either a refund or store credit. So he was basically your run-of-the-mill college republican. Funny thing is, I just looked him up on facebook and he fucking works for the Social Security Administration. Maybe he turned a new leaf, but it's more likely he thinks he's pulling a Ron Swanson, trying to kill the government by working for them. Whatever, I hope the fucker gets hit by a bus.
05:54 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Central New Jersey
Male - 26 Years Old
My roommate Sophomore year got so wasted he blacked out, woke up in the middle of the night, decided to take off all his clothes and piss on my desk. It wasnt as enjoyable as it sounds. I did get a new computer out of it though... haha
06:52 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
tttygxlove
Reading all of these threads about college roommates has pretty much assured me that I'm not going to dorm when I go to a university after next semester lol

To me, it seems like it's 90% of the time negative and 10% positive.

I. I know a lot of people that don't get along with their roommates at all but there are also a whole bunch of people that do. My roommate and I were randomly matched and have lived together for the whole year and we're good friends. I realize I'm really lucky but I think it's all what you make of it. Don't let the fear of a bad roommate stop you from living at school. As much as I dislike the showers, small living space, and noisy neighbors, I wouldn't trade my dorm experience at all. It forces you to get to know people really easily. Just give it a try and know you can always change roommates if it gets unbearable!
07:21 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
My first semester dorming, I was paired with some spoiled Jesus freak. Shit did not go well. I made friends real quick and they happened to have an opening the following semester. I peaced the old one and got in with the new guys. Happy experiences ever since.
07:29 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
chicago
Male - 28 Years Old
Since when did "dorm" become a verb? It's not. It's a noun, use it as such.
07:49 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
Passion Man
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Male - 22 Years Old
I am definately that roommate. We're just socially awkward, it's not your fault.
07:52 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
mouthgrinder
.ghostfire.
Monterey, CA
Male - 28 Years Old
I got along ok with my first dorm roommate my freshman year, though it quickly became clear we weren't a good fit even as friends. I've barely talked to him since that first year.

But my second dorm roommate the summer quarter right after my first year was a piece of shit. The first time I met him was when I'd come back to the dorm after visiting my parents for the day. I walked in and he was sleeping, but this was how that first interaction went:

Me: Hey, sorry to wake you. Name's Tony.
Him: Hey, I'm Jason.
Me: Cool, nice to meet you.
Him: Yeah, you too. Hope you don't mind, but I took a look at your music on your computer. You listen to some good stuff.
Me: Oh yeah? Right on.
Him: Yeah, I'm just glad I didn't get stuck with a gay queer f****t who listens to gay music.
Me: (stunned silence)

That was literally the longest conversation he and I had that entire summer. But from the bits and pieces I picked up over those months, he was a homophobe (clearly), a racist (which didn't mesh well with the fact I had a Filipino girlfriend), a misogynist, and he had a habit of buying CDs from a local shop, making a copy of it, and then returning it for either a refund or store credit. So he was basically your run-of-the-mill college republican. Funny thing is, I just looked him up on facebook and he fucking works for the Social Security Administration. Maybe he turned a new leaf, but it's more likely he thinks he's pulling a Ron Swanson, trying to kill the government by working for them. Whatever, I hope the fucker gets hit by a bus.
The redundancy is killing me right now. Oh, homophobes.
08:26 AM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
dani1292
@dani1292
Gainesville, FL
Female - 21 Years Old
My roommate is a freak who likes collecting insects. I wish she didn't talk to me.
12:37 PM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
Ismael182
I'd love to turn you on
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
I go to Illinois State University too! and was at Heartland before. But its a common thing to have an awkward roommate relationship. My current roommate is a girl, and I can be socially awkward as fuck. But after awhile things got a little more comfortable (Drinking helped) and now arent so bad anymore.
12:59 PM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
Raarzipan
Registered Member
Female - 25 Years Old
I chose to avoid living in dorms after hearing my sisters issues. I rent a place on my own, its a little more expensive but worth it. My sister had a roommate who would borrow/lend out her clothes and other things without asking then never give them back. her second roommate was a whore who had a different guy over each day, and was constantly bringing over people to drink/do drugs. Her third and fourth roommates didn't clean. Ever. It was disgusting, I'm talking dishes that were 2 weeks old sitting in the sink.
01:47 PM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
ole4b
cursed > praised
Chicago, IL
Male - 27 Years Old
I graduated from Illinois State University a few years back, and let me tell you, I had the absolute best 2 years of my life in the dorms. I guess I have an advantage here because I roomed with my best friend. Our floor was fun as hell and I met 2 of my buddies there freshman year and now we're all really good friends this many years later.

I have heard horrible stories about roommates and I just feel so fortunate I never had to deal with that kind of stuff.

Just be honest with him/her right off the bat. Make it known what you do and don't want from the experience. And keep everything out in the open, do not be afraid to talk. If he/she leaves their TV on too loud or something just tell him/her straight up, don't leave a pissy sarcastic note or some shit. Honesty and open communication is key.

Remember, you're roommates, not friends. Friendship will come later, if at all. Some people just aren't compatible. ISU is huge, believe me, you'll find people you connect with.
03:22 PM on 03/22/12 
User Info.
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
Canvey Island,...
Male - 22 Years Old
I currently live with a fucking man-child. If he doesn't get his way he blasts music, empties the fridge and claims it wasn't him (two nights ago he emptied all the drinks bottles I had paid for.) and is just generally a colossal cunt. I spent half my week at my girlfriends place instead, waiting for the lease to come up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos