AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Our Lady Peace - 04.10.12

Interviewed by
Our Lady Peace - 04.10.12Much like a phoenix rising from the ashes, Our Lady Peace seems to be in a rebirth of sorts with their new record Curve. I was able to shoot off some questions to the band, and guitarist Steve Mazur was there to answer some things about Curve, the influence of Spiritual Machines on Curve and how Jason Lader helped push the band this time around.

You’ve sold out a good number of dates on the Urban Grind Tour, how does that reflect upon your expectations for Curve?

Well it's a great feeling at the beginning of a tour for a new album. Yes, we haven't done a tour in a couple of years, but there seems to be a tangible excitement in the air at these shows so far, a genuine excitement for the new songs, and not just because we haven't played in a while. So it is a great echoed sentiment for the excitement that we are currently feeling in releasing this record.

How has playing some of the new material gone on this tour?

The new songs have gone over really well. We're currently playing I think 6 songs from the new record every night. There are two songs, "Find Our Way", and "Rabbits" that I wondered how would go over with people live, especially if the person hasn't heard the songs yet, and they've ended up being so dynamic live so far that we can't envision not playing them anymore.

Given the longevity of this band, what does it mean to you to still see people coming out to see Our Lady Peace, and not only that, but also get into the new material you’re putting together as the years go on?

It means a lot. All of us in this band were bit by the music bug at a young age and the reason that we keep making music is because we are chasing that feeling, that buzz that you get from making music that moves you. If we weren't feeling those feelings or didn't have the desire to chase after them anymore, we wouldn't still be doing this. The fact that our fans are as excited as ever for new material from us is one of the greatest things that I can imagine; the fact that we have passionate recipients to what we are putting out there musically. We have no interest in being just a heritage act or greatest hits touring band.

Do you honestly see any bit of difference when you guys cross the border into the united states as far as the enthusiasm of the fans coming out?

Enthusiasm, no. We are very blessed with very enthusiastic fans everywhere we go. In some parts of the US we don't have as many people at shows as others, but the enthusiasm always seems to be there.

You guys last released Burn Burn in 2009. How would you say this album shows not only growth from what you did on that record, but also how it fits into the sound of what you’ve written in the past?

This record feels like a huge growth from Burn Burn to me. Curve is very much a record, while Burn Burn in retrospect seems more like a collection of 10 separate songs. Curve goes deeper and further into uncharted territory for us than Burn Burn did. The focus on Burn Burn was more about just good songs and not as much with experimentation and challenge. Curve has great songs, but there is also a lot of exploration, deep-digging, and challenging ourselves in it.

It's been said by Raine that this is the most experimental record you’ve done. how would say that specifically compares with say Spiritual Machines where there was a concept to the album?

The 'spirit', for lack of a better word, of Spiritual Machines, was influential somewhat in the making of Curve. We did a tour a couple of years ago where we played the records Clumsy and Spiritual Machines in their entirety. The connection that we felt from performing Spiritual Machines was more intense, for the most part, than performing Clumsy was. Clumsy is a great record, but it doesn't have the common focus and flow that Spiritual Machines has. That, mixed with the depth and intensity that we felt from the crowd on the Spiritual Machines night, bolstered our belief that if we just make music that we love and that moves us, that it will move our fans as well, regardless of whether if it gets on radio, etc., because for the most part Spiritual Machines received little airplay. Curve was made with no focus on radio singles.

How do you think curve specifically shows how perhaps you’ve grown as a musician in the past few years?

I think that it hopefully shows that I've grown in terms of songwriting and arranging. On Burn Burn, I brought in guitar ideas and if there were full band ideas, they were worked up usually with Duncan and Jeremy. On Curve, I brought in a few things where I played bass and drums to fully realize the idea and we ended up going with some of those feels and vibes. Also I pushed myself to study more adventurous chord progressions and harmonies, and one of the things that resulted from that was "Window Seat."

Musically, what were some of the things you feel influenced you while you were writing for this record?

Jason, our producer on this record, pushed me to explore the harmonic elements of a lot of the artists that I love. Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, The Talking Heads. He also encouraged me to listen to Wagner. I sat with some Wagner and analyzed his melodic and chordal movements in order to push myself and the band into some new territory.

You worked with Jason Lader on this record although you also sort of self-produced this one as well. how did jason come into to the picture and how did he help shape what you as a band were doing?

Jason has been a friend of ours for a long time. He did some editing work on Healthy in Paranoid Times and has always popped in to see what we have been up to. We all respect him immensely as a musician, producer, and engineer. While producing Burn Burn by ourselves, and with Raine, was great for us, it put a big strain on Raine. To have to watch over and guide songwriting, lyrics, production, engineering, editing, etc., is a lot to take on, and I think that he recognized that and was willing to let someone else share the load. Jason was the perfect choice because we wanted to challenge ourselves musically and creatively, and Jason brings a spirit that is very pure to the room with him. He helps to put you in a good zone. He's not gonna start talking about business strategies with the music. He doesn't come from that world.

How did stepping away from the producers you worked with in the past work into Curve and what does it mean at this point in your artistic career to have control over what you’re doing?

Well, the band had pretty much always had creative control until Healthy in Paranoid Times, when the label started to want to hear stuff and be more involved, and the result of that was not a very good atmosphere. This band wouldn't be where it is today without the great support of a major record company, but when that business edge started creeping into the songwriting and production, it just didn't gel. So now we're back to having full creative control, which beside that period we've always had, and it's great. We make the music that moves us and then we put it out. What more could anyone ask for?

Though you’re touring now, how excited are you to be able to tour on this album and for us to hear the rest of what you’ve done with Curve?

Very excited, especially as we only finished the record a couple months ago!! There is a much shorter turnaround time these days with digital, so these songs are still very fresh to us. Making this record was a very creative experience. Now shifting that momentum to live performance is a different and exciting endeavor.

After the Urban Grind Tour concludes, where can we expect to see our lady peace when it comes time to hit the road again? plans for the rest of the year?

We're doing a handful of festivals in Canada and going to Europe in the summer. Come fall will be US and Canada full tours. We really hope to get to more markets on this record. We've already gotten to some places that we haven't been to in years. We're excited and having fun. Those usually are good signs, I think.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
12:53 PM on 04/27/12
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Interesting interview. Where he talks about not having some control over their records from "Healthy" and onward, I thought they didn't have much control over "Gravity" either though, that's why they never revisited that sound afterwards, feeling like it was too influenced by Bob Rock? Oh well, either way, good interview man. Thanks for the read.
03:38 PM on 04/27/12
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Interesting interview. Where he talks about not having some control over their records from "Healthy" and onward, I thought they didn't have much control over "Gravity" either though, that's why they never revisited that sound afterwards, feeling like it was too influenced by Bob Rock? Oh well, either way, good interview man. Thanks for the read.
Well Bob produced Healthy too so I don't think they had much of a problem with him (after Gravity anyway)
09:30 PM on 04/27/12
smowashere
I am Groot.
User Info.
Great interview
09:42 AM on 04/28/12
me7719
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really enjoyed the interview, love curve. After being really dissapointed by healthy in paranoid times and burn burn, it was nice to see them move in a bit of a different direction. Im not a huge bob rock fan as a producer, I feel he makes bands become very generic
03:47 AM on 04/29/12
missdarrian
User Info.
I have no disappointment whatsoever when it comes to you guys. You surpass everything I hope for from my favorite band. I can't wait to see you live again and I am ecstatic to see Steve mention a full tour in the U.S. in the Fall. I know the crowd wasn't huge in San Francisco, but I bet the love for you guys surpassed anywhere else! I was not surprised to see the enthusiasm from the band even though the crowd was small. You guys truly love us. That sets you apart. You are so special. That's why I love you so much.
03:37 PM on 03/31/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Our cabins are nestled between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. Only an hour and forty five minutes form Northern Virginia. We are the proper spot in your vacation get-away! A cabin rental at Linville River Log Cabins is a superb "base" from which you'll be able to enjoy the entire activities provided by the domek 25m High Nation of Western North Carolina. This includes playing in the water on the Linville River Log Cabins, mountain climbing, biking, skiing, snowboarding, exploring the Western NC Attractions, and virtually the rest you is perhaps searching for.

As you browse through our website, you'll discover the pure magnificence and quality of Appalachian Log and Timber Properties and all of our Log House Ground Plans. Our distinctive log properties function a wide range of styles and log home floor plans. Each is designed for power effectivity and total livability. Our Log Houses are the perfect blend of old world domek na działkę strategies and customary sense with trendy conveniences and comfort. Extended Log Cabins and Log Cabins don't have indoor plumbing. Restrooms/showers are located close by and are open seasonally from mid-April by way of November.

Log building has been especially in style in Scandinavia, where straight tall tree trunks (pine and spruce) are available. With appropriate tools, a log cabin might be erected from scratch in days by a family. As no chemical response is concerned, comparable to hardening of mortar, a log cabin may be erected in any weather or season. Many older towns in Northern Scandinavia have been built exclusively out of log domki producent houses, which have been adorned by board paneling and wood cuttings. Right now building of modern log cabins as leisure properties is a totally developed industry in Finland and Sweden.
03:38 PM on 03/31/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Our cabins are nestled between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. Solely an hour and 45 minutes form Northern Virginia. We're the right spot on your vacation get-away! A cabin rental at Linville River Log Cabins is an excellent "base" from which you'll take pleasure in all the activities provided by the domek balik Excessive Nation of Western North Carolina. This includes playing in the water at the Linville River Log Cabins, hiking, biking, skiing, snowboarding, exploring the Western NC Attractions, and virtually anything you is likely to be on the lookout for.

As you flick through our web page, you'll discover the natural beauty and high quality of Appalachian Log and Timber Homes and all of our Log Home Ground Plans. Our distinctive log houses function a variety of types and log house flooring plans. Every is designed for power efficiency and whole livability. Our Log Houses are the right mix of outdated world domek gotowy methods and customary sense with fashionable conveniences and luxury. Extended Log Cabins and Log Cabins do not need indoor plumbing. Restrooms/showers are situated close by and are open seasonally from mid-April by November.

Log development has been especially common in Scandinavia, where straight tall tree trunks (pine and spruce) are available. With suitable tools, a log cabin will be erected from scratch in days by a household. As no chemical response is involved, akin to hardening of mortar, a log cabin will be erected in any climate or season. Many older cities in Northern Scandinavia have been built exclusively out of log domki producent houses, which have been embellished by board paneling and wooden cuttings. At present development of modern log cabins as leisure homes is a completely developed trade in Finland and Sweden.
03:39 PM on 03/31/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Our cabins are nestled between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. Only an hour and 45 minutes form Northern Virginia. We're the perfect spot for your trip get-away! A cabin rental at Linville River Log Cabins is a wonderful "base" from which you'll be able to enjoy all of the actions supplied by the altana Excessive Nation of Western North Carolina. This consists of enjoying within the water at the Linville River Log Cabins, climbing, biking, skiing, snowboarding, exploring the Western NC Attractions, and almost anything you is perhaps looking for.

As you flick through our site, you'll uncover the pure magnificence and quality of Appalachian Log and Timber Homes and all of our Log Dwelling Floor Plans. Our distinctive log homes function quite a lot of types and log residence ground plans. Every is designed for energy efficiency and total livability. Our Log Houses are the proper blend of old world domek kanadyjski methods and customary sense with fashionable conveniences and luxury. Extended Log Cabins and Log Cabins should not have indoor plumbing. Restrooms/showers are positioned close by and are open seasonally from mid-April by way of November.

Log construction has been particularly in style in Scandinavia, where straight tall tree trunks (pine and spruce) are readily available. With appropriate tools, a log cabin may be erected from scratch in days by a family. As no chemical reaction is concerned, similar to hardening of mortar, a log cabin can be erected in any climate or season. Many older towns in Northern Scandinavia have been constructed completely out of log domki producent homes, which have been embellished by board paneling and wood cuttings. At this time construction of contemporary log cabins as leisure houses is a fully developed business in Finland and Sweden.
03:40 PM on 03/31/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Our cabins are nestled between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. Only an hour and 45 minutes type Northern Virginia. We are the right spot on your vacation get-away! A cabin rental at Linville River Log Cabins is an excellent "base" from which you'll be able to get pleasure from the entire actions provided by the altana Excessive Country of Western North Carolina. This contains enjoying within the water at the Linville River Log Cabins, hiking, biking, skiing, snowboarding, exploring the Western NC Points of interest, and virtually the rest you is perhaps on the lookout for.

As you browse through our site, you will uncover the natural magnificence and high quality of Appalachian Log and Timber Properties and all of our Log House Floor Plans. Our distinctive log properties characteristic a wide range of styles and log dwelling ground plans. Every is designed for energy effectivity and whole livability. Our Log Homes are the right blend of outdated world domek gospodarczy strategies and common sense with fashionable conveniences and comfort. Prolonged Log Cabins and Log Cabins do not need indoor plumbing. Restrooms/showers are located close by and are open seasonally from mid-April via November.

Log construction has been especially widespread in Scandinavia, the place straight tall tree trunks (pine and spruce) are available. With appropriate tools, a log cabin will be erected from scratch in days by a household. As no chemical response is involved, reminiscent of hardening of mortar, a log cabin could be erected in any weather or season. Many older towns in Northern Scandinavia have been built completely out of log domki producent houses, which have been adorned by board paneling and wooden cuttings. As we speak building of recent log cabins as leisure properties is a fully developed trade in Finland and Sweden.
06:29 AM on 04/09/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Right this moment's visually-pushed social and enterprise local weather demands a artistic companion who understands the way to engage your viewers whereas reaching your organizational mission. Sleight-of-Hand Studios works with organizations that need to ship effective visual messaging. Our communications and design methods are a results of our 30 years of budowanie wizerunku experience creating high-affect outcomes. Sleight-of-Hand Studios is a artistic interactive company specializing in the growth and integration of print, web, and digital methods. SoH creates multi-channel communications methods – print, internet, digital media, social media, and traditional media – that construct awareness and outreach. SoH demystifies the complexity of at present's design challenges. The SOH Distinction

In 1864, William James Carlton began promoting advertising house in spiritual magazines. James Walter Thompson joined this firm in 1868. Thompson rapidly became their greatest salesman, buying the corporate in 1877 and renaming it the James Walter Thompson Firm , which at this time is the oldest American advertising agency. Realizing that he may sell extra space if the corporate supplied the service of developing content for advertisers, Thompson hired writers and artists to kind the primary aplikacje facebook identified Artistic Division in an promoting company. He's credited as the "father of recent magazine promoting" in the US. three Kinds of advertising businesses edit
06:38 AM on 04/09/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Right this moment's visually-pushed social and enterprise climate demands a artistic associate who understands how one can engage your audience whereas achieving your organizational mission. Sleight-of-Hand Studios works with organizations that need to ship effective visible messaging. Our communications and design strategies are a result of our 30 years of agencja kreatywna warszawa experience creating high-influence outcomes. Sleight-of-Hand Studios is a artistic interactive agency specializing within the development and integration of print, web, and digital strategies. SoH creates multi-channel communications methods – print, net, digital media, social media, and conventional media – that build consciousness and outreach. SoH demystifies the complexity of at the moment's design challenges. The SOH Distinction

In 1864, William James Carlton began selling promoting space in spiritual magazines. James Walter Thompson joined this firm in 1868. Thompson rapidly grew to become their greatest salesman, purchasing the corporate in 1877 and renaming it the James Walter Thompson Firm , which right this moment is the oldest American advertising agency. Realizing that he may sell more room if the company supplied the service of creating content material for advertisers, Thompson employed writers and artists to type the primary marketing facebook known Inventive Division in an promoting agency. He is credited as the "father of modern journal promoting" within the US. 3 Varieties of promoting agencies edit
06:39 AM on 04/09/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Right now's visually-driven social and enterprise local weather demands a creative accomplice who understands easy methods to have interaction your viewers while achieving your organizational mission. Sleight-of-Hand Studios works with organizations that need to deliver effective visual messaging. Our communications and design strategies are a results of our 30 years of agencja social media Warszawa experience creating high-affect outcomes. Sleight-of-Hand Studios is a inventive interactive company specializing in the improvement and integration of print, web, and digital strategies. SoH creates multi-channel communications strategies – print, internet, digital media, social media, and conventional media – that build awareness and outreach. SoH demystifies the complexity of at present's design challenges. The SOH Difference

In 1864, William James Carlton began selling promoting area in non secular magazines. James Walter Thompson joined this firm in 1868. Thompson rapidly became their finest salesman, buying the corporate in 1877 and renaming it the James Walter Thompson Company , which in the present day is the oldest American promoting agency. Realizing that he may sell more room if the corporate offered the service of creating content for advertisers, Thompson employed writers and artists to form the first prowadzenie fanpage identified Inventive Department in an promoting company. He is credited because the "father of recent magazine promoting" in the US. 3 Kinds of advertising companies edit
06:40 AM on 04/09/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Right now's visually-pushed social and business climate calls for a creative companion who understands find out how to interact your audience while reaching your organizational mission. Sleight-of-Hand Studios works with organizations that wish to ship effective visual messaging. Our communications and design strategies are a result of our 30 years of reklama w internecie warszawa experience creating excessive-influence outcomes. Sleight-of-Hand Studios is a artistic interactive agency specializing in the development and integration of print, internet, and digital methods. SoH creates multi-channel communications methods – print, web, digital media, social media, and conventional media – that build consciousness and outreach. SoH demystifies the complexity of right now's design challenges. The SOH Distinction

In 1864, William James Carlton started promoting advertising house in non secular magazines. James Walter Thompson joined this firm in 1868. Thompson quickly became their finest salesman, purchasing the company in 1877 and renaming it the James Walter Thompson Firm , which at the moment is the oldest American promoting company. Realizing that he could promote more space if the company offered the service of growing content for advertisers, Thompson employed writers and artists to form the first fan page facebook recognized Inventive Department in an advertising company. He's credited because the "father of recent journal promoting" within the US. 3 Sorts of advertising agencies edit
06:49 AM on 04/09/14
xvolsrrspkz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
At present's visually-pushed social and enterprise climate calls for a inventive companion who understands learn how to engage your viewers whereas achieving your organizational mission. Sleight-of-Hand Studios works with organizations that wish to ship effective visible messaging. Our communications and design strategies are a result of our 30 years of agencja social media Warszawa expertise creating excessive-impression outcomes. Sleight-of-Hand Studios is a inventive interactive company specializing in the improvement and integration of print, internet, and digital methods. SoH creates multi-channel communications methods – print, web, digital media, social media, and conventional media – that construct awareness and outreach. SoH demystifies the complexity of as we speak's design challenges. The SOH Difference In 1864, William James Carlton started selling promoting house in non secular magazines. James Walter Thompson joined this firm in 1868. Thompson rapidly turned their best salesman, purchasing the company in 1877 and renaming it the James Walter Thompson Company , which at the moment is the oldest American advertising company. Realizing that he may sell more space if the corporate offered the service of growing content material for advertisers, Thompson employed writers and artists to form the first prowadzenie fanpage identified Artistic Department in an advertising agency. He is credited because the "father of modern magazine promoting" within the US. 3 Varieties of advertising agencies edit

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos